Getting Started

Michelle

Hi, brand new to vaping...just started reading about it last night, but I'm intrigued. I'm considering purchasing the Spade kit. I've smoke a pack a day of Marlboro Lights 100's, and I'm not sure what strength juice to order with the kit. Thoughts or advice?

Hey Michelle! I have a Spade and have no problem recommending it! It's a great unit and I love mine. It's a good way to go because you'll also get to start vaping with the best juice I've found so far (VT). For strenght, I would suggest 24mg. I smoked a pack to 1 1/2 packs of Marlboro lights a day and the 24mg worked perfect for me. I started with 18mg and wasn't happy with it. I quickly switched to 24mg and it made a huge differene. You'll find this is a little different. For some 24mg is to much and for others it's not enough. I would start with 24mg.

Brian, thanks for the help. I was thinking 24mg would be the way to go, but wanted another opinion, so I appreciate the advice. Besides the kit, and the juices that come with it, is there anything else I will need to get started? I know I can get car chargers and other goodies, but I will look in to those as I need them. Also, any idea how long the two small bottles of juice will last (I know everyone is different, but I don't know if most people use a bottle a day, half a bottle, a quarter...)? Should I order more immediately?

Now I have to pick my juice flavors. That's the hardest part, but also sounds like fun! :)

It's always good to get extra atty's. If it's in your budget, I'd get 2 spare batteries and a couple of extra atty's. A 10ml bottle lasts me about a week. Sometimes more/sometimes less. FYI the VT Traditional Tobacco is my favorite and I vape it 95% of the time.

Hi, brand new to vaping...just started reading about it last night, but I'm intrigued. I'm considering purchasing the Spade kit. I've smoke a pack a day of Marlboro Lights 100's, and I'm not sure what strength juice to order with the kit. Thoughts or advice?

In my opinion, go a little cheaper right now and get a 510 kit. Basically two ecigs so you have a backup. Spend the money you saved and buy some 24 and 11 mg juice. This way you an mix them to see what is good for you. 50/50 mix gets you 17.5 mg, so this way you get a nice range of nic. Plus you can do what alot of folks do and go 24 in the morning, and a little less later on. If the 11 is too little, oh well. My point is, and I own a spade and think it is great but if it fails, you will have to go to analogs waiting for a repair. Certainly not the end of the world but if you vape for more than a week without analogues, going back is GROSS. So my vote, as if it matters, is to get the 510 kit, save some bucks, and the 510 will be your backup for the spade later on when you get that. All interchangeable parts by the way (510s).

Edited by FTJoe

LOL, I'm getting confused between my threads. I guess I should have stayed in one place instead of being forum hyper. :innocent:

How long do atty's last? There's a 3 pack deal...

Well... I had my last atty last about a month... but I have heard of them lasting much longer (months)... and then again I have heard of them only lasting a couple of days... I think since they are all manufactured in China there is a quality control issue somewhere along the line... fortunately they are economically priced :thumbsup:

-Alucard

Hi, Joe...thanks for your thoughts (and they really DO matter since I'm a total newbie to this). I don't see a 510 kit on VT.

I second the 510 idea... I LOVE mine. I also have the VPPT and dig it at home.

They don't have the kit... but I would recommend Arno at awesomevapor.com for that.

Plus he has extra batts, atty's, and great juices.

Hi, Joe...thanks for your thoughts (and they really DO matter since I'm a total newbie to this). I don't see a 510 kit on VT.

Nope - not there, if you are interested, look in the suppliers section. I don't mean to steer you away from it, it is fantastic and it's all about battery life. If you think you will purchase and then go on to other things, then it makes sense, it becomes your backup or if you go 5V your portable unit. I just get weird about not having a backup, you can see stories all through here about folks freaking as the run out of juice, attys, etc. I usually point out it's not a big deal as long as they go back to vaping. So if you are looking for battery life, or something cool, definitely go for the spade. BTW, VT juice is the best IMO and just so you know, this is how committed I am to backups:

http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/forum/index.php?/topic/3611-whats-in-your-tackle-box/page__view__findpost__p__30777

I would also vote-start with the 510 and then work your way up. if you do decide to go 510--you want 2-3 batteries and atomizers--just in case. attys usually last 1-2 months (for me anyway). I was 1 1/2 pack marlboro lights and the 18 mg worked well for me. if you start high--it is easier to cut it down if it is too strong.

http://www.liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=31 I have had very good luck with liberty flights product, and service.

http://shop.rockymountainvapor.com/category.sc?categoryId=19 also very good service and product.

definitely shop around before making any decisions. may want to get at least a couple 10ml sizes in different flavors.

keep asking....

I would also vote-start with the 510 and then work your way up.

After several votes for this option, it is what I have chosen and ordered! Thanks for the help. :thumbsup: Now, I need to order some juice...but it was suggested I get 24mg and VT is sold out of the sample pack and Dulcis in that strength. Any other suggestions?

I'm really late on this one, but Welcome to Vapor Talk, Michelle. If I had been on time, I would have thrown in my vote for the 510 kit, too. It's a really good way to start and I have to agree with the others about having it later for a backup. That's what I did. Well, until I loaned it out and now I think I need it back for my backup of my backup. LOL I'm going to order some new batteries though and I'll be find as I have a pretty good stock of attys. I also have a 510 passthrough that I can use for awhile, so I'm not completely out at the moment. I will admit that I am one of those who tend to panic if I think I'll run out of something. I thought I had all my bases covered, but you just never know. Someone teased me (or maybe they really weren't teasing) about me having backups for my backups. But hey, if I didn't, I would be out right now and in a world of hurt. Now I'm only a little nervous and will be ordering right away.

As far as the liquid, you can order that from other places, too. It might not be as good as what you'd get at VT, but lots of people here like juices from other places, too. And you really need to have a good supply of juice. You can always order more from VT as soon as they get more in.

I wish you the best of luck in your vaping. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have while you're learning.

Thanks, nana...and you're not late. Heck, I just signed up last night. :)

Good luck getting your backup for your backup back! I will have four batteries and four atomizers...basically four 510's. So, I hope that gets me by for a while. I suppose a car charger wouldn't be a bad idea, eventually.

I'm sure by this time next week I'll have an entire list of things I simply *must* have. :innocent:

Yeah, but I usually welcome people a lot sooner.

Yep, that sounds like a good start. It should keep you going for quite awhile. And a car charger is a nice thing to have. Or you could get a 510 passthrough and an adapter to use it in the car and then you don't have to worry about batteries.

And yes, I'm sure you'll have that list. Very soon. Ummm, did we forget to tell you how addictive this vaping thing is? Oops. And an awful lot of us seem to have a collection going. Some have even posted pics of their collections.

I think the first thing I need is a nice "storage" area. :whistle:

Haha, yeah I know how that goes now. I got my 510 kit yesterday, got lucky by complete accident and ordered from a supplier that happened to be all of 4 hours away from my house, so 2 days... woo! I have this little cherry wood valet stand that has a couple drawers and a tray on top that I had just been tossing change into, that got converted to holding my gear... alas I think I also kinda have an addiction to collecting gear when I find a hobby I'm excited about so I'll probably out grow that in a month or two, but fer now it's almost perfect for me, keeps the stuff I'm using at the moment in the tray and extra/spare stuff in the drawer.

*Update* I ordered a double 510 kit, the Spade, and a VP/PT. I figured "better safe than sorry". Anyway, it all arrived last Thursday. So far, so good...I think.

Here's what I've noticed with analogs since then...and I am still smoking...they are tasteless, except the after taste which is just horrid. The one I just took three drags from in the garage has left me smelling a skunky aroma on the sleeve of my sweatshirt. Blech. I went into vaping without the intention to quit analogs...but it just may work! I think I've had five smokes today. I can totally see how people stop smoking, though. This is great! No STINK, no ash, no fire proof cigs going out on you.

I also ordered mostly 24mg juice from VT and I think that's a bit too high for me. I like my 16mg grape soda as my "all day" vape. I've got some no nic on the way and plan to use those to just sit around and toke. When I really crave a smoke, I'll fire up the nicotine juices. That's my plan, anyway. Anyone else do this?

Thank you all for your advice and help in choosing my PV's...I like them both!

I smoked for 34 years and as soon as I started vaping, I never had another smoke. It was amazing to me. Lots of people have done it the way you have, Michelle. It sounds like if you want to quit, you'll easily be able to do it.

As far as the 24mg juice goes, if it's too strong and you already have 0 nic coming, you can cut the 24mg down to 18 or whatever you want. If you mix it half and half with the 0, you'll get 12mg. At least you'll be able to use the 24mg up. And yes, I've done that. I use 0 nic quite a bit. I've been doing that quite awhile now, but I've cut back to 2mg to 3mg nic now. I'm using more 0 nic than anything else, but I still have moments where I need some nic. I've even gone back to 6mg. a few times, but I'm very close to being at 0 all the time.

I'm glad you're liking the units you got. It's nice to know that we can help.