Should I Get A Spade, Or The Ego

soupninja

Alright, iv been using the joy 510 for about 8 months now and my 6 batteries are pretty much dying(Im getting about 10-30min of vape time with each of them),and my USB passthrough works sometimes when I hold my mouth right(it was a generic so im not really upset at that)or theres some sort of eclipse.

But..its time for an upgrade and I cant decide between the ego, and the spade..iv read countless reviews on the ego and the spade and Iv watched parked's and grimmgreen's reviews as well as some others. Do any of you guys have both? Which one do you prefer and why.

The way I see it..they are both 3.7 volts, they both have a long lasting battery..the ego "says" its 600mah, I dont konw what the spade is rated at. I can buy more batteries for the spade and this little battery shop (it has every battery) but the battery for the ego is proprietary..so if I order one and they crap out I will have to either send it back and wait or hope that the batteries are for sell by them selves. So really from what I know right now..the only differance is in the size and the LEDs?

Does either model out class the other in vapor, flavor and hit? I mean there both 3.7 volts and roughly maybe the same mah.(like I said I dont know what the spade is rated at) So can I assume that they preform pretty much the same?

Iv read reviews on both models being better than, this model or that model..but none with the two(spade and ego) compared.

Both look sharp to me...I would have to go EGO for looks alone though..

....HELP?!?!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have an eGo, but from what the others here are saying, I'd say go with the eGo. The Spade batteries are not 600mah. The battery is marked that way, but it was a misprint according to Chris. It sounds like the eGo has about twice the battery life of the Spade. But, like I said, I don't have the eGo. Just wish I did.

Hi soupninja and welcome, I have both units so I will give you info to help with your decision. First of all I love both for different reasons.

EGO: I'm getting about 12 hours per charge from the batts. Thats excellent. The model is very nice looking and creates a smooth vapor. It is about an inch shorter than the Spade and a very comfortable unit to hold.

SPADE I get 5-6 hours from the batts. Its a very nice looking unit. I do get a nicer throat hit from the Spade as compared to the eGo. To me it feels lighter than the eGo.

A draw back with the eGo is the batteries are proprietary. If they go out you're limited where you can go to get a replacement. I have not seen a price for new ones. The Spade uses a standard 10440 protected batt that you can find at multiple websites. I hope this limited info will help. The easiest solution is to just buy both. :D

Hi Soupninja, here's my $0.02. First, I've spent plenty of money (over $400) in the last six weeks, on e-cigs. I'm now putting a lot more thought into my purchases, based on my experiences. I was very interested when the eGo came out. Then I realized that the eGo battery is, basically, a bigger version of a 510 battery. I.E. it is a sealed unit with the switch built in. When it goes, you chuck the whole thing in the battery recycle bin at the store and buy a new one. As of right now, I don't believe any site (Janty or otherwise) has a spare battery listed, or even a mention of what they'll cost. That scares me. You've already learned a very important thing, batteries will die. That's why, for now, I'm sticking with my Spade. The battery housing is very well made, and uses an inexpensive 10440 protected li-ion cell. Christopher sells them for $7, and they're also available at places like Battery Junction where they're on sale now for $4. At that price you could buy a three for the price of a standard 510 batt. I know that the Spade will eventually wear out. But right now, it's my favorite, and I'm thinking of buying another, when my 510 batts start to go. Good luck!

BTW, do keep in mind that, If you decide you have to have an ego, Totally Wicked is releasing their version, in two other colors. They say it'll be available on the 21st. They're calling it the Tornado.

John

Edited by SmokinHammer

Thanks for the info so far, Im thinking that I will go with the spade...for now..seems as though I can buy those batteries at my local battery shop..and I like a better throat hit. I will order one in the morning so that I can maybe get a few more replies on this thread.

Thanks for the info, and the welcome

I debated between the Spade and the eGo too and decided on the Spade because of the cheaper batteries. Since the Mega batteries for the 510 sell for $20 I figured the eGo batteries would be $25 or more. Also I bought it for my daughter and she wanted one that she could hold like a cigarette and the Spade looks thinner than the eGo.

Wow! I with all the hype about the eGo I hadn't heard that about the batteries (or maybe I just overlooked it). I'm not in the market so wasn't really looking at it that much.

Anyhow, soupninja - I love my spade. Great unit and I think you'll be happy with it. And - Welcome to VT!

I like my Kissbox passthrough real well ,I have two but the customer service at Janty has not been real good lately.They have always treated me right but there was an eternity when you could not get batteries or atty's or chargers and they were not offering any explanation,just hyping the Ego,a few months ago it was the Stick ,in a few months it will be something else.

Well it will always be somthing else, or somthing new. The whole extra batteries thing wasnt the entire reason im going with the the spade first.

I went with the spade should be here tomarow,live 20miles from dietsmokes warehouse.

I also like the idea that most of it is made in the USA(excluding the atty, mouth piece)or at least assembled here anyway.

Im pretty sure janty is in euroup right? Might take a while to get here, Im patient with jsut about everything in my life, but not this time...i want it now : )

I debated the battery thing too.. I knew the batteries were proprietary..

The eGo just looked smaller and like it would attract less attention...

The eGo does look cool too...

the spade will be my next purchase

Actually I beleive Janty products come from China's Joye tech. ,everything Janty has you can find a Joye version of overseas,Google Joye Stick and you get the same thing as Janty Stick.

I gotta say that the Spade has been a dream so far. The batteries last significantly longer than my 510...significantly loooonger. I haven't timed them just using them like I normally would. The battery is nice because you know where you can get more and that the cost is very affordable.

Also the throat hit and amount of vapor is what seems to be just right. I get more vapor than with a 510 but not too much to be overbearing.

Many commented on the size of the Spade. I feel it is not much bigger than the 510. If you hold it in your hand a certain way it really doesn't look out of the ordinary. I vaped with mine at a Pub and no one really said anything different than when I used my 510, just curious questions.

Overall I think you will be pleased with your decision on the Spade. We look forward to your thoughts after trying it for a while.

so I got my spade today around 3pm.

I charged one battery while I vaped the almost dead one.

The battery charged up, I vaped on the battery while playing fallout 3 for 3 hours straight(medium to heavy hitting)

I can say that it is a truely awsome vape machine. The throught hit will drop though about the last 15 or so minutes on the battery life..that just tells me to change the batteries though : )

I say go for the Spade - I've never used one, but buying a device which uses "generic" batteries rather than one which means you are at the mercy of the manufacturer seems sensible. I'd also suggest you have a look at other pvs in the 3.7v market - many are not that big and the market has become much more competitive. (For example the Mk1 Screwdriver used to be really expensive but is now much cheaper and comes with a 510 atty option, the Little Chuck must be worth a look too?)

I don't know if you have made a purchase yet but here's my .02 worth. I own an eGo but not a Spade. I do own a VP2. The eGo is beautiful! Nothing wrong with it except the battery might be expensive to replace. We just don't know yet.

If you want long battery life, good vapor and throat hit, I would buy a VP2. It uses a 900mah battery that last all day and they are pretty cheap and easy to find. Jeso sells it in an 801 and 510 model. I would get the 801 and get a 510 adapter from him. The adapters work great and if you sweet talk him, he might throw one in. The unit is $99 but worth every penny. I've had one for several months and it's my main PV. I'm sure I'll be handing it down to my grandkids!

If you are cash strapped right now, look at the DSE905 from myvaporstore. They are running them for $59 and I really like mine. It uses the same battery as the VP2, is all metal and works very well. The downside is that it comes as a 901 and you need a $6 adapter to run a 510 atty.

For my money, the VP2 is the best. Flexible in that you can run your 510 attys with an adapter but you can also run an 801 atty if you want.

The one advantage I can see with the eGo is the batteries maintain their peak voltage longer than a standard battery. So if you don't mind spending $23 a battery, then the eGo would be the route to go. Totally Wicked just started the batteries for $22.99 http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/tornado-e-ni-accessories/tornado-e-ni-manual-battery-2-product.html

Scottbee posted some interesting info on the eGo batteries on the E-cigarette forum. He tested the batteries under load and they tested at 3.1 volts.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html

So it sounds like 3.7 volt mods like the Spade would be more powerful than the eGo.

Scottbee posted some interesting info on the eGo batteries on the E-cigarette forum. He tested the batteries under load and they tested at 3.1 volts.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/joye-510/65055-battery-voltages-surprise.html

So it sounds like 3.7 volt mods like the Spade would be more powerful than the eGo.

Very interesting - thanks for posting that!

The one advantage I can see with the eGo is the batteries maintain their peak voltage longer than a standard battery. So if you don't mind spending $23 a battery, then the eGo would be the route to go. Totally Wicked just started the batteries for $22.99 http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/tornado-e-ni-accessories/tornado-e-ni-manual-battery-2-product.html

Glad to hear someone is selling batteries for the ego..I was debating that problem ,not that it helps a whole lot I still like both...decisions decisions.