Pg Vs Non-Pg

What up VT fam. I'm not a mad poster, but I've been around for a while and I'm pretty sure we've already talked about this before. I couldn't find anything in the search engine or browsing topics. What is everyones opinion on PG vs Non-Pg. Which do you guys prefer and why? I just got my first bottle of non-pg and can't really tell the difference, except maybe the flavor is more crisp/fresh. I'm getting the same amount of vapor, with maybe a little less throat kick. But the throat kick is still to close for me to make that a for sure statement. So what do you guys think?

-Jason-

Hi Jason, good to see you back. You asked for opinions so here it is. Like you, I have found the VG to have less of a throat hit as compared to PG of the same nic strength. thats just my perception. I have a couple of VG bottles and I like them when I'm just kicking back vapin and chillin. If I feel a need for a throat hit I'll use the PG based.

To me, the throat hit only changes with nicotine strength. I personally like to buy a stronger juice and cut it with some VG for more vapor production. I've tried this with PG and not gotten the same vapor, but so far I've only bought PG based juices. I should probably buy some VG based juice to experiment with. It might be the combination of the two that results in my personal "sweet spot."

I have also been cutting my PG juices with VG over the last week and I really like the added vapor production from the VG personally. It does slightly diminish the throat hit, but I really prefer my juice to have some VG in it now.

Been wanting to try VG, but have heard it goes bad after a short time.

Wife won't let me use the fridge, so I've been holding back.

Does it really go bad and how fast?

Been wanting to try VG, but have heard it goes bad after a short time.

Wife won't let me use the fridge, so I've been holding back.

Does it really go bad and how fast?

Good question. I don't know. I've had mine for a couple of months and it still seems good. But then how would I know? Hmmmm. Anyone have any answers?

I bought a bottle of VG from CVS that expires in July of 2014 if that helps.Makes a lot of vapor ,the sun was shining through the window and i was clouding the room up pretty good watching the sunbeams, I didn't realise you could do that vaping.

I remember trying Johnson Creek PG and VG in the same flavor and strength. I could not detect any difference. This was ~9 months ago. I believe their VG juice still contained more PG than VG.

Recently, I mixed 2 parts PG based juice with 1 part VG. It gave lots of visible vapor but I didn't care for the taste. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I'm used to.

I had had the VG in the fridge for a few months before I used it. I had bought it at CVS in the hand lotion isle and found it tough to get past the label's instructions "For external use only". lol It took me awhile to get over it. USP grade is USP grade. I have never heard of it going bad. Mine has no expiration date on the bottle.

Anyhow I put it in my truck for emergency use. One day I forgot to carry juice. I got it out but could not squeeze it out of the dropper bottle! It had gotten down to freezing the night before and the VG was way too thick, till I warmed it up. So for winter time emergency storage in the truck, it is going to be PG based only for me.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as we're discussing differences of PG vs VG, I have another facet to add. I just got in some unflavored VG from Arno at awesomevapor.com. Got a bottle of 36nic and a bottle of 0nic for comparison. I figure, if I end up liking VG, I'll just go out an find some in town (hopefully) for a lot cheaper. We have a CVS so I'm crossing my fingers that they have some.

I definitely notice that it's a thicker substance than my PG-based liquids, but I also notice that it's more viscus (like more slippery), and thus drips out of the bottle with less force applied to squeezing it, just an interesting note I guess.

My real question however, is this: I haven't tried it enough to really decide yet, but upon my first impression vaping VG, it seems to vaporize significantly hotter than my PG liquids; has anyone else noticed this? Because it wasn't the most pleasant vape for this reason.

Also, a couple more questions for those of you who have been buying VG locally, and/or know a lot about the substance:

1) Does it really need to be refrigerated?

2) Does it really have an expiration date?

and

3) Someone mentioned they found some PG base locally, where did you find it?

Edited by mmseng

As long as we're discussing differences of PG vs VG, I have another facet to add. I just got in some unflavored VG from Arno at awesomevapor.com. Got a bottle of 36nic and a bottle of 0nic for comparison. I figure, if I end up liking VG, I'll just go out an find some in town (hopefully) for a lot cheaper. We have a CVS so I'm crossing my fingers that they have some.

I definitely notice that it's a thicker substance than my PG-based liquids, but I also notice that it's more viscus (like more slippery), and thus drips out of the bottle with less force applied to squeezing it, just an interesting note I guess.

My real question however, is this: I haven't tried it enough to really decide yet, but upon my first impression vaping VG, it seems to vaporize significantly hotter than my PG liquids; has anyone else noticed this? Because it wasn't the most pleasant vape for this reason.

Also, a couple more questions for those of you who have been buying VG locally, and/or know a lot about the substance:

and

Mine doesn't say it needs ot be refirgerated and I've never done it.

Also, none of mine has an expiration date on it.

Someone said Tractor Supply carried PG in the gallon size for like $23. or something. I haven't checked yet, but will the next time I go. And I just saw in a post someone said feed stores carry it, too.

Edited by nana

. . .

and

Straight VG doesn't need to be refridgerated, but needs to be kept tightly sealed. Also, it should last years if proprly sored.

As for the heat, glycerine should be mixed with water (at least 10%) before vaping as this will significantly lower the vaporization temp.

Straight VG doesn't need to be refridgerated, but needs to be kept tightly sealed. Also, it should last years if proprly sored.

As for the heat, glycerine should be mixed with water (at least 10%) before vaping as this will significantly lower the vaporization temp.

I bought the 6oz. vg at walmart the other day for $2.97. Expiration date is 12-14.

I bought some 48mg juice from Tasty Vapor and some vg to cut it with.

Other than the fact that it seems to make better vapor I really haven't noticed much difference.

I'm not real worried about throat hit like some,,never noticed it when I was smoking either, I just want tons of smoke, oops, I mean vapor and a good taste of what ever flavor I'm using at the time.

Jason -

Non-PG, or glycerine - cleverly called VG ("vegetable" glycol, but more on this later) - has no approved use in inhalents. It is USP grade only for use in over-the-counter drugs and cosmetics. It's principle pharmacuetical use is as the base binder in toothpastes and as the thickener is cough syrups. That's one big difference. Glycol costs roughly one-half what propylene glycol costs.

Propylene glycol (PG) has US FDA approval as a humecant for tobacco. Every tobacco product is drenched with PG before final processing into cigareetes, snuff, chew, pipe-tobacco or whatever. It is generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for use in inhalation.

Glycerinel is - interestingly enough - seldom obtained from plants or vegetables anymore. It is almost always synthetic, and petroleum based. Be mindful that Kosher grade has to do with the manufacuring and handling process and not with the nature of the product. "Organic" in the US is nebulous at best and inapplicable to pharaceutical-grade products. Natural glycerine is available, but it is rare and expensive and is significantly more viscous (thicker) than synthetic glycol. As I said above, most glycerine is cheap compared to PG, and glycerine marketed as "vegetable gycol" never costs less than products made with proylene glycol and also VG products never cost more than PG products, although natural glycerine would cost several times more than PG.

Calling it VG is good marketing...

Propylene glycol is seldom synthetic anymore. It is a natural byproduct of modern distillation processes and is becoming abundant as a byproduct of bio-fuel production.

You'll see many people worrying about allergic reactions to PG, and while allergies are certainly possible, it seems an odd concern for people who have smoked tobacco and have, therefore, been sucking in PG for however many years they smoked... As if they are suddenly going to break out in a rash after all those puffs over all those years. Still, allergic reactions are a valid consideration.

I see the differences as being technical: PG is approved for use as an inhalent, and has been approved in tobacco products, world-wide, for most of a century. "VG" has no known approval for use as an inhalent anywhere on the planet.

Is one therefore better for us than another? Dunno. I do know that with one, we're using it within it's constellation of historical uses, and with the other, we're charting unknown waters.

- Tinker