1/1/2010

Well, this is the first post of the new year. All of the news channels are re-capping the last decade, and as usual they focus on the negatives. Whattya gonna do ? Well, what I do, is come here to VaporTalk, and unwind. Whenever I log on to VaporTalk in a cheesed off mood, I always log out with a new spring in my step. I wanted the first post of the new year to reflect that. Now, Im probably what you call the class clown of VT. I dont mind that title, I welcome it. I was the Class Clown all through school. I got very good grades. I never got in trouble. I just have always believed, that humor should not be stifled or eleminated from ANY aspect of life. When things are at thier bleakest, laugh. Crack a joke. There are people that look back on thier life, and at certain episodes, sigh. Or shed a tear. Or feel regret. I refuse to. If I make fun of every situation, Ill ALWAYS have something to look back and laugh at. Thats just my theory, may not work for everyone. I dont care if there are people I have known, who, when reflecting, say "Remember Keenan, what a clown he was". At least they'll have a grin on thier face. Mission accomplished.

When I was an EMT in New York, whenever I responded to a call, one of my FIRST priorities, after the safety and well being of the patient, was to make them laugh. I remember one man, whose leg was almost completely severed at the ankle after falling at a construction site, who kept asking in a panicky voice "how bad is it, am I gonna lose my leg". I started with "It looks a lot better than the sphagetti my wife cooked last night", and I dont remember the roll I went into, but a minute or two later the guy was laughing so hard he had COMPLETELY forgotten how bad his leg was. About 4 months later, a guy shows up at our squad and says "Remember me, you guys saved my leg, I HAD to come here and thank all of you". I HADNT remembered him, until he showed up, but he looked at me and said " You took away the pain better than the morphine". I started welling up as he shook my hand. Now, for the rest of this guys life, every time he'll tell the story of the day he almost lost a leg, he'll tell it with a laugh. Mission accomplished.

I guess the whole point of this post is, after watching the dreary recap of tha past year, I want everyone to know that in the coming year, Im gonna try to inject a little humor into VaporTalk, (when Im not Ranting). And I want EVERYONE to know, sometimes I might sound a little harsh, but its ALL in fun. And, if I go over the edge, as sometimes I do, DONT hesitate to say " hey, ya dumb Mic, shuddup !" Im from the old school, and I dont know how to intentionally disrepect someone. I find more sincerity when I watch Red Skeltons "God Bless" closing remarks after every show, than all of Oprah's shows combined.

This last decade, particularly this last year, was a wallapalooza. In the past year, I lost my job, my retirement savings, my house. My wifes health has left a lot to be desired. Yadda yadda yadda. Itll get better.

In the coming year,or years, Ill get a job, another house, save money, and my wife'll get better. Im not gonna waste one second moping over things I cant control. When I get to the Pearly gates, Gods not gonna ask for my list of things Ive acquired. He's gonna look for the list of people Ive made happy, and people I screwed over. THATS the score Im keepin track of. And if it doesnt work out in my favor, Ima gonna tell God a few knock-knock jokes, and hope he has a sense of humor.

Of all the good things that have happened in the last year, honestly, I put finding VaporTalk at the top of the list. It has been a vehicle Ive used to keep my sanity. I try to contribute as much as I can to VaporTalk, but, believe me, I feel like I TAKE a lot more than I give. When I log off at the end of the night, my mental shopping cart is full. Thats why I keep coming back.

OK, Ive rambled on incessantly for my first post of 2010. So, to EVERYONE here, my best friends, Happy, Happy, and prosperous New Year. And remember, when the poop hits the fan, take off one of your shoes, and tickle your foot. The problem wont go away, but at least youll smile ! God Bless.

Ditto what Brian said.

Great post, Keenan. And what a wonderful attitude and outlook on life. Everyone should follow your example.

I always look forward to your posts and want to say thank you for all you do for all of us. Your humor adds a bright spot to my days and I truly appreciate it and you.

I wish you and you're wife all the best that life can bring in the coming year. I wish for you that all your wishes come true. You two deserve it.

Keenan, if more people had your attitude this world would be a much better place!!! You know sometimes humor doesn't translate well when posting or texting. You can't hear the person's tone or see their body language. I tend to be sarcastic, and that doesn't always come across well on the comp. My wife and I have had some arguments over misinterpreted texts. Keep up the good work buddy and thanks for reminding me not to take life so seriously! :D

Keenan, if more people had your attitude this world would be a much better place!!! You know sometimes humor doesn't translate well when posting or texting. You can't hear the person's tone or see their body language. I tend to be sarcastic, and that doesn't always come across well on the comp. My wife and I have had some arguments over misinterpreted texts. Keep up the good work buddy and thanks for reminding me not to take life so seriously! :D

LOL ! I agree Jeff. Thats why I wanted to make SURE I put across, please dont EVER take my jabs to heart. I dont have a mean bone in my body. Well, maybe one. But Im ALWAYS trying to type so people know Im kidding, and not serious. When it comes to humor, thats pretty easy to do, but when I go off on a rant, THATS when I think I tend to tick people off. And, its important that people know, I will ALWAYS be the first one to agree to disagree, I mean no harm.

I get my sense of humor from my Dad. In 1996, his health was in the crapper. He was admitted to Cooperstown Hospital in N.Y., where the Drs told him, it was a matter of days (liver cancer, in an Irishman, go figure). So, here was this man, surrounded by his family, who KNEW his time was just about up. There was a ferocious snow storm raging outside. During the night, with all of us there, the power went out, the room went dark for a few seconds. In the silence, all we heard was this shakey voice that said, " Son of a b*tch , I thought he said a few days !?". He died 2 days later.

Sad time, but when I think of my fathers death, I laugh. Thats what its all about.

@ Nana, Mark, Brian, and everyone, thanks so much. That REALLY means a lot. Mission accomplished .

Edited by keenan

Huh. First post I read at VT this year is this one. You set me up for the whole day keenan, thanks so much. You really are one of a kind, which is too bad for this world. We need many of you! Thanks man.

Edited by ddavelarsen

Keenan,

Wonderful post brother. We are thankful for ya bud! ;)

I sure have learned a lot from you since September, and am looking forward to kickin it with ya here on VT in this next new year, and learning a bunch more. We all wish you and your family the best!

Nice way to start the new year. Life is way to short to be grumpy and/or hold grudges. smile, be happy and keep vaping !!!!

I am immensely grateful to the vaping community for always giving me something to smile about.

Keenan--you are always good to have around. I wish more people had your attitude.

How is your wife doing???

Lisa

When I get to the Pearly gates, Gods not gonna ask for my list of things Ive acquired. He's gonna look for the list of people Ive made happy, and people I screwed over. THATS the score Im keepin track of. And if it doesnt work out in my favor, Ima gonna tell God a few knock-knock jokes, and hope he has a sense of humor.

Keenan: Knock-knock!

God: Who's there?

Keenan: Keenan.

God: Keenan who?

Keenan: Shouldn't you know already? I thought you were omniscient!

God: LOL! Good one! Knock-knock!

Keenan: Who's there?

God: God.

Keenan: God who?

God: Shouldn't you know already? I thought you were a monotheist! :lol: