Temp Control has become my Nemesis

Walt

I tried it on a few Eleafs and some just would just revert back to watts (know problem with those models per internet) and others would work for awhile and then without warning so south. 

I tried it on my Smok Alien last night.  No Go.  Here's the specs:

Steam Crave Aromanizer RDTA with a two Clapton vertical build with each coil @ 8 wraps of 28/32 SS316 yielding .48Ω,  

Process used:

Was vaping in wattage mode.  Let the mod set and cool down to room temp per touch.

Went into set-up (3 clicks on fire bar) Temp

Chose SS

Set available wattage @ 50

Mod verified coefficient @ .0000092  (Not sure if I have the number of zeros right)

Mod screen came up showing SS Temp mode deg F.

Set temp at 210

Result:

Mega hot!!!  Fired the mod while watching the screen and it thought the temp was at 77d and never went into temp cut off. 

This was no 77F!  I could have seared little steaks on those coils! 

This has got to be operator headspace.  Having tried three mods and not got it down yet, I must be missing something here. 

Sorry to rag on about this, but i just tried it with from a dead start.

Process.  Put batteries into mod after sitting overnight.

Five clicks to turn mod on.

Mod asked old coil or new, I answered new. 

Available watts: 50

Mode Temp SS

Mod confirmed TCR

Mod came up in temp mode @ 230F

Great vape!

Watched the screen in the mirror and it is going in and out of temp cut off. 

I don't get it. 

I apologize!!!  Problem solved!!!  I went to clean up my build desk and read the fine print on the wire.  I thought i had ordered SS Clapton.  It is Kanthanal A1. 

Well, it was operator headspace.  Note to self:  Read!

@Walt

You're diligent.... that's for sure!   LOL

I pretty much stick with power mode vs TC because it's too fiddley. But as far as mods the two that work best in TC for me are my eleaf 60W and my Releaux 2/3.

Glad you got it figured out :)

26 minutes ago, Edna said:

You're diligent.... that's for sure!   LOL

Thanks @Edna  I would feel embarrassed but I'm too old for that, lol.  This is not my first experience with operator headspace.  I usually don't trip over mountains, it' usually a crack in the sidewalk.  I really like the concept of temp control.  I'm hoping I can find a mod/atomizer that will do it well.  I can imagine a quick ramp up and a consistent temperature vape.  I'm getting better breathing abilities the longer I go without analogs.  I'm finding I draw often between 7 and 8 seconds.  That's a lot of time for temp ramp on wattage mode.  That's not to say vaping in wattage mode isn't a pleasure, it is.  Of course maybe temp control will never live up to my expectations, but I love experimenting.   

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Thanks @Edna  I would feel embarrassed but I'm too old for that, lol.  This is not my first experience with operator headspace.  I usually don't trip over mountains, it' usually a crack in the sidewalk.  I really like the concept of temp control.  I'm hoping I can find a mod/atomizer that will do it well.  I can imagine a quick ramp up and a consistent temperature vape.  I'm getting better breathing abilities the longer I go without analogs.  I'm finding I draw often between 7 and 8 seconds.  That's a lot of time for temp ramp on wattage mode.  That's not to say vaping in wattage mode isn't a pleasure, it is.  Of course maybe temp control will never live up to my expectations, but I love experimenting.   

The beautiful thing about TC  - hit the desired temp and the chip will adjust the wattage as necessary to maintain the temp.  I could never take a 7-8 second hit in wattage mode.  It will continue to get hotter.  The consistent temps help with longer draws and that's just one of the reasons I love TC.

2 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

The consistent temps help with longer draws and that's just one of the reasons I love TC.

Call me crazy, but, There's nothing like a long slow draw. In itself it is a very relaxing experience.  Couple that with a great tasting vape and I have Nirvana!   

8 minutes ago, Walt said:

Call me crazy, but, There's nothing like a long slow draw. In itself it is a very relaxing experience.  Couple that with a great tasting vape and I have Nirvana!   

I'm loving my Hohm Slice mod since it does TC with kanthal.  The majority of my drop in coils are kanthal because other coils aren't available for the tanks I prefer to use and that's definitely a nice bonus.  I have switched to primarily SS for my handmade coils because they can be vaped either way.  I think there is another company besides Hohm Tech that is making a TC device that fires kanthal in TC now, but it was an obscure manufacturer.  I also heard a rumor (literally heard, didn't read) that Evlov is working on a DNA chip that will fire kanthal.  If that happens, I'll truly be in heaven.

Just now, Adversarious1 said:

I'm loving my Hohm Slice mod since it does TC with kanthal.  The majority of my drop in coils are kanthal because other coils aren't available for the tanks I prefer to use and that's definitely a nice bonus.  I have switched to primarily SS for my handmade coils because they can be vaped either way.  I think there is another company besides Hohm Tech that is making a TC device that fires kanthal in TC now, but it was an obscure manufacturer.  I also heard a rumor (literally heard, didn't read) that Evlov is working on a DNA chip that will fire kanthal.  If that happens, I'll truly be in heaven.

The Kanger TC mods that have a NiCr setting will work with Kanthal, I have tried it a couple of times. I used the NiCr mode and used a much lower temp setting than I normally would. Not something I would do on a daily basis, but I just had to try it.

20 minutes ago, Walt said:

I see that the TCR value for kanthal is .00002.  Could this be used in a manual temp set-up for TC kanthal?

In theory, yes.  The early TC mods that have basic settings for Ni, Ti, SS are essentially just changing the TCR to match those wire types.  With newer TC mods that have TCR and/or TFR settings you should be able to set the dial in the TCR value to match the value of kanthal and get close results.  The problem is the lower the TCR value, the less accurate the results are going to be.  It just isn't something I'm willing to toy around with, though.  I'm allergic to blowing myself up.

I did it again, used a OCC coil that I rebuilt with kanthal for a Subvod, subvods use a subtank nano. I put the nano on a 75w Kanger TC mod, switched to CR mode set the .78 coil, and set the temp down to 200F, got no vape, slowly raised the temp, and settled on 270F. Watched the watts while pressing the fire button, and after the initial surge the watts hovered around 13 watts, I normally run that coil around 15 watts when in power mode, so I guess Kanthal does work in NC mode. I normally run my juice between 360F and 380F so I had to drop the temp about 100F.