Travel Advice, Please

dlynne

I am flying home for Christmas tomorrow, and I am a bit concerned about getting my vaping equipment through security at the airport. Just to make sure nothing happens, I have sent ahead by fedex some extra vaping equipment to my Dad's house, in case anything gets confiscated as being a security problem.

I had planned on taking a mod (the Protege) with me, for the extended battery life. However, the Protege is not useable now, and it is not an option.

My other concern is whether or not my PCC for the 510 with hold out for the travel time involved. From my house to my Dad's house, it will be about 12 hours.

I'll be renting a car at the airport, but haven't found a car/cigarette lighter adaptor yet that will let me use a passthrough in the car.

Thoughts?

I can help you out with the pass-through part :)

You can get a USB car charger for not too much (I got mine at Fry's for 9.99$ in the car audio section). They work pretty good on the road!! We used our VP/PT while driving to LA and back last week!! :)

As for getting through the airport.....the one suggestion I would make is to do everything by the normal airport rules (make sure your juice is in a Ziploc baggie!!!! and your e-cig is disassembled and properly put away in a carry on bag) and you should be fine.

You can't sit in your airplane seat/airport gate and vape away like you were at home, so I would think a 510 PCC and 2 batteries should make you there.

That's just my 2-cents!! Good luck and safe travels!! :)

Like Ofortuna said, just put your juice in the baggie like they say. I usually stuff my gear in a camera case and then put that in my laptop bag. Never had a single question on it. Even stealth vaped on the airplane!

As for car charger stuff, I picked up my USB car adapter at a convenience store. I've seen them at truck stops, too. And you can get one at Radio Shack if there is one near by.

I have very small containers of juice (3ml x qty of 10) and they went through fine. I did disassemble my pv and spread multiple parts into pockets and purse and camera case and carryon, just in case they took an atty or batt i had spares in various places. But never did have a problem even with TSA. They looked at my little tub of 2 attys and 2 batts and 3 10ml of juice and did nothing.

On a side note TSA is a bit of a joke. When coming back to SFO from Vegas I had purchased 6 metal ice buckets, you know the kind you can put 6 beers into. Anyway they were in a plastic shopping bag and i fed them through the xray machine and the guy just sat there staring at them on the screen and then called another guy over and the two of them stared at the screen. Meanwhile I was opening my carryon cuz i had a bottled water in there. I looked back and those guys were still staring at the screen kinda scratching their heads. Next thing i knew my buckets still in the unopened shopping bag were coming through to me. Well now I know they could not see through the metal geez I could have had a bomb in those buckets. I thought it very peculiar they didn't even open the bag to see what it was.

Have a safe trip!!

The TSA is very unusual. I can't judge them because I really don't know how they are trained to be looking for suspected items.

But this experience I had led me to believe they aren't actually that bright. I had on a pair of slip on Doc Martien sandals while flying out of Denver. They made me take them off and they actually picked them up and inspected them. Okay, I get it, thick soles and they weigh a ton. But neither person had on gloves when they picked up my shoes to inspect them. I wonder how many times they put their fingers in their mouths after ward?

Have a safe trip. I hope your experience goes smoothly. Let us know how it went for you through security.

Edited by BirdDog

The TSA is very unusual. I can't judge them because I really don't know how they are trained to be looking for suspected items.

But this experience I had led me to believe they aren't actually that bright. I had on a pair of slip on Doc Martien sandals while flying out of Denver. They made me take them off and they actually picked them up and inspected them. Okay, I get it, thick soles and they weigh a ton. But neither person had on gloves when they picked up my shoes to inspect them. I wonder how many times they put their fingers in their mouths after ward?

Funny!! One time they had me take off my flip flops and they scanned the soles of my bare feet!! Hmmm, didn't get that one at all!!dribble.gif

All of these things are good ideas, and good advice. Thanks. I did go out and buy a new car adaptor for my passthrough. I had one, but it didn't work.

Also, I am going cut off the part of the e-juice labels that say "Poison" on them.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

as long as you are discreet about your vaping (do it in the airport terminal bathroom, blow the smoke under your blanket while flying), you should be ok and vape without worry.

Excellent points, I too was discreet in the terminal and did vape under my blankie. Do not use plane restroom as the vapor can set off the alarm as that is such a small area.

Funny!! One time they had me take off my flip flops and they scanned the soles of my bare feet!! Hmmm, didn't get that one at all!!dribble.gif

I had a pair of sneakers with see through soles, "air walk" marketing or something, they still made me take them off.

And no, they aren't too bright. Thankfully I can now flash a badge at them and they realize my security clearance is far higher than theirs and usually leave me be.

Excellent points, I too was discreet in the terminal and did vape under my blankie. Do not use plane restroom as the vapor can set off the alarm as that is such a small area.

How could it set off the "smoke" detector, if there is no carbon monoxide. I've used in the airplane bathroom without a problem :)

How could it set off the "smoke" detector, if there is no carbon monoxide. I've used in the airplane bathroom without a problem smile.gif

I did say "alarm" -- not smoke detector but since you are asking. The detectors "read" particles and cannot distinguish between smoke particles and water particles.

The type that uses a photo detector uses a T shaped chamber where light is goes across the top and smoke or other particle reflects light into the vertical portion and detected by the photo detector causing the detector to trigger.

In the ionization type a radioactive material that is a source of ionizing radiation ionizes air between two plates allowing for a current to flow between them. When smoke or other particles get between the plates they bind with the ions lowering the current flow and causing the detector to trigger.

I am going cut off the part of the e-juice labels that say "Poison" on them.

OMG. What are are you vapeing?! LOL. - Seriously, what supplier lists their juice as Poison?

I did go out and buy a new car adaptor for my passthrough. I had one, but it didn't work.

I know my 901 passthrough requires a full 1 Amp (or more). My PC can not cut it at 0.5 Amp. Most USB chargers can not cut it.

Do not use plane restroom as the vapor can set off the alarm as that is such a small area.

Do not blow vapor directly in to the detector. Blow it toward the floor and you shold be fine.

The detectors "read" particles and cannot distinguish between smoke particles and water particles.

Good info. - My parents have a detector that goes off, whenever it is humid. I tried to find out which type is more susceptible to humidity (false alarms). I was surprised to find that it is both types. (should not be installed in humid locations)

It is a shame that we can not vape openly. I predict that the day will come (with a 48% expected accuracy).

@RustyVape, Nicotine is a poison and law requires that suppliers in certain area list it as such.

I will gladly restate the question. "What suppliers lists their juice as Poison?"

Way off topic:

Yes, in pure form. it is a poison. - Yet I have grown it. - Some bugs likes to eat it.

I have never grown 'the extra potent stuff', and doubt that I ever will, except for it's anti-bug capabilities.

In lesser forms it is no worse than caffeine.

You can be certain that I am not your enemy, in no shape, factor, or forum. I like your

forum, and I would like to stay here. I want to call it my home.

Sorry for the drama, to the others here. If this don't work out, well, it just did not work out. I'll see you on the other side.

I am sorry to be such a pain. I do not mean to be.

I will gladly restate the question. "What suppliers lists their juice as Poison?"

Way off topic:

Yes, in pure form. it is a poison. - Yet I have grown it. - Some bugs likes to eat it.

I have never grown 'the extra potent stuff', and doubt that I ever will, except for it's anti-bug capabilities.

In lesser forms it is no worse than caffeine.

You can be certain that I am not your enemy, in no shape, factor, or forum. I like your

forum, and I would like to stay here. I want to call it my home.

Sorry for the drama, to the others here. If this don't work out, well, it just did not work out. I'll see you on the other side.

I am sorry to be such a pain. I do not mean to be.

Your not a pain at all! :D We love having you here, I never want you to feel unwelcome on the forums. I was just stating for you and some of the members that don't know. :) I personally don't list it has a poison because we're not required to do so in California. I know in the Unite Kingdom this is required and why Janty places it on most of their bottles. I think E Liquid Express also does the same thing. I personally think it's a little extreme, but then again what isn't when the government gets involved.

RustyVape,

What drama? You're being paranoid. Vape and relax. :beer:

I thought the same thing - even went back and reread everything to see what I missed. RustyVape - other than an occasional flareup in the "the vapor lounge", we're peaceful here man. :D

Hi all,

I just got back for Charlotte NC. I had no problems leaving Chicago O'Hare, but returning I had my Protege in my jacket pocket.

TSA saw it in the x-ray and asked about it. I told them what it was and then they wanted me to show them. I took a vape and exhaled vapor. The TSA agent then said "OK no problem, but my mother has one that is much smaller." And the short conversation began while I put my shoes back on.

Cya,

Hi all,

I just got back for Charlotte NC. I had no problems leaving Chicago O'Hare, but returning I had my Protege in my jacket pocket.

TSA saw it in the x-ray and asked about it. I told them what it was and then they wanted me to show them. I took a vape and exhaled vapor. The TSA agent then said "OK no problem, but my mother has one that is much smaller." And the short conversation began while I put my shoes back on.

Cya,

Cool story. thumbsup.gif

Hi all,

Cya,

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

:whistle::iiam:

The type that uses a photo detector uses a T shaped chamber where light is goes across the top and smoke or other particle reflects light into the vertical portion and detected by the photo detector causing the detector to trigger.

In the ionization type a radioactive material that is a source of ionizing radiation ionizes air between two plates allowing for a current to flow between them. When smoke or other particles get between the plates they bind with the ions lowering the current flow and causing the detector to trigger.

Huh??? :innocent:

This is why I flunked chemestry/physics/name the science!