REBUILDING COILS

kangerchris

Hello, I want to start rebuilding coils. Preferably the kanger protank 3 upgraded enclosed wick dual coil units. I have a few questions Hopefully you can answer for me. I know theres a bunch of different materials to use like silica or cotton. Now if i use silica wick will i need a coil jig tool like the coil master? Or is that for when using cotton and other materials? I also found some silica online but i dont understand the difference. The one i want to buy but i dont know if its the right one says "Silica wick for rebuilding atomizers 16 feet" but then i saw all these other ones with measurements like 1mm,2mm,3mm twisted silica and 4mm braided silica. What should I use? Theres so many different silica wicks. As for the kanthal wire i figured i should get 32, 30, and 28 AWG to see which i like, if only i knew what was in the kanger dual coils that would be great. And last i found these pre-coiled wicks that would make everything 10 times easier but i dont know if they would work in rebuilding the kanger dual coils. Ive copy and pasted the web address of the pre-coiled wicks so you can see what im talking about. Please let me know if you can help me with any of this. It would be much appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007181/1680101-pre-made-wires-and-wicks-for-atomizer-50-pack

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10008276/1761001-authentic-kanthal-pre-made-wire-and-wick-for-rba

The short answer is since you have no experience rebuilding coils, taking on the dual coil pro tank 3 will be a challenge.  You could rebuid them as single coils but don't xpect the same performance.

I personally would not choose silica wicking material.  Most people generally agree cotton tastes better and gives better performance.  You would still need a coil winding tool regardless of wick material.

If I were you, I would do a youtube search on rebuilding kanger pro tank coils so you can get an idea of what you are getting in to.  You may find a specific video on the pro tank 3.  

Start there

Notice his description is a 9 wrap 28ga coil on a 1.5mm rod.   He's doing single coils

Personally I would not bother with the dual coils in these heads. With the right build, you can get better performance from a single coil than a factory dual coil. As Bebop said watch vids and learn how to build coils before you start. (Good Place to Start) Get some wire from TEMCo (30ga is the best for these heads) and some organic cotton balls from Walgreens. The premade coils from Fasttech are really not that great.

Ok thank you guys for your input. Ive been using my protank 3 for a year now and every time i try something new it just ends up being a waste of money. I care more about the throat hit than blowing huge clouds and it just seems like the protank 3 works prefect for that, for a mouth to lung hit instead of a direct lung inhale. Thats why i wanted to try rebuilding those coils in particular. Since its only $2 for a 50 pack im gonna try those pre-coiled wicks first and just do a single coil like you said and if they dont work then ill have to get some kanthal and the coil master kit and start from scratch. Thanks again for your guys input, much appreciated.

If you want more throat hit, just increase the PG level of your juice. PG is the flavor carrier as well as throat hit. VG is the ingredient that makes the vapor smooooother.  :) 

Protanks are a good workhorse. If or when you're ready to branch out, another tank I'd recommend would be the Aspire Triton 2. The performance is amazing. While the coils are a little more expensive, there is also a separate RBA that you can buy so you can build your own coils as well. Just a thought.

If you don't mind suggestions, you can try a Kanger subtank Nano. They are almost identical in size to the KPT 2 and 3, and hold about a ml more juice. If you get some 1.2 ohm horizontal coils for them they are very easy to rebuild to whatever resistance you want. I am currently using 2 of them and they perform much like the KPT 3, but with a better air flow adjustment.

You DONT want those coils you posted although the second one might work but I wouldn't. 

It doesnt save you jack. 

Edited by Bebop