Feels like im doing something wrong.

FASoldier

Right, I'm pretty new to vaping and I probably messed up or doing something wrong, I picked up Cosmic Fog's Church and Milk & Honey. I haven't tried the milk and honey yet though. I messed up and got them in 18mg nic 30ml bottle, I QUICKLY found that the 18mg produced a very harsh throat hit, I went to my local shop and picked up the smallest bottle with the lowest nic they had, 15 ml 6mg nic, mixed it now its 12 (I think). Throat hit can be on the harsh side at times for me as I don't really know what wattage is good for the .5 OCC and that juice seems like anything over 30 gives me a burnt dryish taste. not a dry hit I already had that god awful experience. More on that later..

Problem one: which setting is recommend I know everyone's taste varies..

Problem two: I don't seem to be enjoying Church as I thought I would... Probably because of the really recent quitting of cigs and vapors tongue (Whats a sure fire way to get rid of it btw)

Problem three: I tried my hand at messing with the supplied RBA as my military background enables me to be very technically inclined but failed horribly and got a dry hit. (any tips is most definitely appreciated)

Cheers and Vape on

If you could give us some more information, it would be easier for us to help you.  :)

What's the PG/VG ratio of your juice? That could make a difference in how hard a throat hit you're getting (harsh vape). More PG = more throat hit. More VG = smoother vape but thicker juice and gunks up coils faster.

What battery/mod are you using?

What tank or RBA/RDA/RTA are you using?

If you're using pre-built coils, what resistance are they?

Also, try starting at the lowest (or lower) power setting. Vape. If it's not doing it for you, then turn it up just a touch. Vape. Repeat until you get a harsh vape or a slight burnt taste. Back it down a notch. That's the sweet spot for that juice/coil/tank combination. Each different juice or variation in coil resistance or different tank will need a different setting for best performance.  :)

PG/VG ratio = N/A I didn't see it for Comsic Fog but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say 50/50

Battery: Samsung INR 18650

Mod: Subox Mini

Tank: Subox Mini

Coil resistance: .5 omhs

I'm trying the wattage step-up plan now, lol I just don't want to get nic sick

If your resistance is at .5 ohms, then I would suggest a higher VG juice like a 40 PG/60 VG or higher. Also, go down on the nic even more than you have. At higher temperatures, you're going to get more nic out of your juice. I'd go at least a 6 mg or so.

You'll know when you're getting too much nicotine, you may get dizzy, a little light headed, a slight headache forming.... All you need to do is to stop vaping for a bit and you'll be fine. In case no one told you, vaping dehydrates you so be sure to drink more water (not coffee, tea, juice or soda), just plain water. It's also good for flushing your body of the toxins from smoking cigarettes.  :)

Yea thanks, for the info. I had a self given lesson on Nic sick the other day, wasn't fun. I'm definitely going to go lower in nic though, diluted to 12mg from 18 which I can tolerate for the time being after which i'll go to 6 or 3mg because I don't want to keep buying at the moment. Using the .5 now because I already messed up and used two 1.2 ohm coils. I just have to figure out what to do about this vapors tongue, I get a off, bland or just tasteless taste after I vape now.

What you're going through is more like tongue fatigue. After vaping one flavor for a while you lose the ability to taste it. That's when you change off to a different flavor that's totally different. For example, you vape a baker flavor (apple pie), after awhile you can't taste it anymore. You change to something with mint in it. When you can't taste that, you go to a heavy fruit flavor. You keep rotating through a couple of different flavors to keep your taste buds working.

Since you're just starting to vape, your taste buds are all wonky from smoking. They will get better with some time. In the mean time you can take some fresh ground coffee and take a few sniffs (just smelling it). That usually helps to "cleanse the palate."  :)

Or, it could be your juice and some different flavor or something from a different company might better suit your needs.

Tam hit the nail on the head with everything. The only thing I have to add is about your inhale. When you're using a subohm setup, you generally want to do a direct to lung inhale. The best analogy I can think of is like when a doctor is listening to your lungs, asks you to take a breath, and you kind of inhale deep into your lungs. It's a little different than cigs, where you sort of puff then inhale. It should help cut down on the harshness some.

Edited by Kevo88

I have been smelling things a lot better since quitting cigs, tasting ok, I tried the coffee grounds but no difference, what I may end up doing is only vaping when I crave a smoke and buying a lemon or something menthol to suck on, either that or pop in the milk and honey and use another coil. Speaking of which.... Theoretically, can I change the coil from one flavor put that coil in like a air tight sealed mason jar use another coil and switch out in between those two flavors?

PG and VG don't evaporate very well at room temperature, I have taken coils out and forgot them for a few days and they stay wet, so your container don't have to be air tight. Another thing to keep in mind is airflow, if you don't have enough air flowing across the coil to cool it you will have a harsh vape at higher wattage.

I vape a .5 coil in a subtank mini at 10 - 12 watts depending on the juice

Edited by FXRich

Most of us just have different tanks with different flavors in them. It's much easier to switch one tank for another rather than to try to keep track of which coil goes with which flavor. This leads to one of the main things we try to stress to all new vapers: get back ups. Then, get back ups of your back ups. You can never have too many.

If you're going to go the change coil thing, I would put the coil into a small cup of vodka. That will take out most of the flavor of the previous e-liquid.

Good to know. These tanks have an adjustable airflow, wide open and it feels too loose for me kind of like literally suck in a mouthful of air, I find myself favoring one of the other two smaller breather holes, maybe in my morning vape I'll use the wide open one to see if that helps.

I was also thinking of that too Tam, I'll get a second tank in the coming weeks, after which I'll take another attempt at the RBA my first two attempts involved spitting popping and a very bad dry hit. Also, took a quick vape.. I smell the flavor just fine AFTER I exhale like if I leave the room come back in, but taste is off bland and idk almost burny but not quite its weird to explain, so I guess that confirms a palette cleanse is needed.

One thing I have found is make sure you stay hydrated. Vaping dries you out, I drink way more water than I ever used to. It really affects the vapor's tongue.

Also, if you are chain vaping, a 60vg/40PG is as thick as I recommend for the subtank, I have several. I am currently running 60/40 juice 4mg nic (Fedora's Snicker doodle) with a .5 ohm coil at 20 watts. Lower and I still get a good hit, but I like the vape on the warm side.

Yea I'm definitely a chain vapor for sure, I try not to but I cant help it. Not because of lack of nicotine but because I like it so in addition to all that was said prior I need to be chugging water like no other. I'm not a cloud chaser but I do seem to enjoy a denser vape cloud, my next juice I may experiment with that 60/40 vg/pg and a menthol kicker, I hear that helps with vapor's tongue.

About that RBA, I use a RBA exclusively in all my Subtanks, the trick is to get the wick just right, too loose and you won't get enough juice on the coil, too tight and you can cut off the flow of juice. Either way you get a burnt taste. There are numerous videos on the net that shows how to do it. After you get the RBA wicking down pat you can save a lot of money by not buying coils.

I'll definitely look into that again when I get more comfortable, I like the idea of building things, YouTube seems to be oversaturated with things above my experience level at the moment lol, I may just mess around with it now and saturating some of the milk and honey juice, hopefully its not too much to ask but would you be able to tell me what exactly should I be searching for in YouTube, in regards to the wicking?

Thanks a lot found a wattage that works for me .5ohm @ 22.2 watts, maybe too much in the morning for a first vape but It's comfortable for me and when I feel the need to blow plumes I can inhale all the way deep down with vents wide open (although wont be doing that much because of the volume of nicotine.

When I started to vape I was at 18mg, but that was 2 1/2 years ago, before subtanks. Back then it was ego batteries and pro tanks, now with Subtanks I'm down to 6mg sometimes 4mg. Depending on my juice. I have been debating on mixing some 0mg juice to see if I really need nicotine, but if I don't I'm going to keep vaping anyway because I like it.

11 hours ago, FASoldier said:

Yea I wish I knew you'd get more nic in your system this way, I was just following  a very bland chart that said 18 mg for regular full flavor smokers

Those charts are based on 1.8-2.2 Ohm ratings and probably 6-8W of power. 

Think of it this way... if you need 18mg at 2.0 Ohms, then when you lower the resistance by 50% to 1.0 Ohms, you need to lower you Nicotine level by at least 25%, up to 50%.  Using a 0.5 Ohm coil would require an equivalent juice at 4.5-6.0mg, and depending on your vaping habits (i.e. Chain-vaping), you may want to use 3mg?

Heat is the factor here.  Nicotine is absorbed exponentially faster as heat increases.  The hotter your coil (lower resistance), the less Nicotine you need to vape to get the same effect as you do at higher resistances (cooler vape).  This is a proven fact from tests done on absorption rates from the Nicotine patches.  Raising the temp of the patch by 5-deg F, increased the absorption rate by as high as 20%, causing light-headiness, nausea, or, at minimum, the usual "Nicotine-rush" you use to get with the first cigarette in the mornings.  So, as heat increases, you don't get MORE Nicotine... you get it FASTER, which is why you have to use lower Nicotine level juices when you sub-ohm!