Njoy To Discontinue Flavors

BirdDog

Thats interesting. Thanks BirdDog. I would assume they forsee the gov't restricting juice and not allowing certain flavors just like they recently outlawed flavored cigars. Its gonna be a sad day if the only flavor allowed is tobacco. :( Maybe I better start learning how to make my own.

Chris please post the recipe for Dulcis. :P

Edited by jeffb

The last man standing may the the one who bows first. With the growing attention, perhaps they are attempting to be "the responsable industry leader" in this. Maybe they anticipate the worst and are trying to get a jump on it.

I don't think anyone actually realizes just how big this is. You think NJOY is doing this just to be nice?

Don't be surprised if this is the way things will go. VT will end up the same way some day....There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes and I can tell you next year is going to be an interesting year for the ecig world I imagine. It's a sign, believe it.

Enjoy your flavors now...

I have heard of one chinese supplier that wants to begin sending all devices here with empty carts (no fiber or juice). Of course this is in response to the FDA CRAP. If flavors are outlawed I will still vape with Traditional Tobacco. I'm not giving this up. I've come too far.

I understand what NJOY is doing and I do give them credit for proving that the industry is not trying to target minors. I like the idea they are taking the lead and making sure that their distributors also comply with the guidelines. I am just bothered that a leading distributor, with many customers, would do this to them. It is like being stabbed in the back. I guess I am letting my feeling get in the way of logical thinking. Oh my, did I just sound like Spock or what?

Edited by BirdDog

When I first started vaping I was using the NJOY/NPRO. I washed out the pre-loaded carts and used my own juice. Thats still an option. Even if the FDA determines that the e-juice is safe, there still is the battle with special interest groups that feel any flavor except tobacco is targeted at kids. Thats a battle thats already been fought and lost. Its gonna be a sad day if the only flavor offerings in the VT store is tobacco and unflavored juice.

I agree but we will work as hard as we can to stop that from happening. Suppliers are already preparing for the back lash. (The good suppliers at least) And I can assure you, if there is any way for us to offer the flavors we will.

But I see it being an option for 40 different tobacco flavors rather than sweet flavors.

Now if we just HAPPEN to have the flavor in concentrate and you just HAPPEN to add that to unflavored juice, and we just HAPPEN to have the instructions to get the right flavor...

Found this response from NJOY to an e-mail that was sent. Interesting.

Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 3:30 AM

To: Amy Linert

Subject: NJOY to Discontinue Flavors, Takes Additional Steps to Prevent

Underage Electronic Cigarette Use

Dear Amy,

Haven't smokers been harassed enough? I have finally found something that allows me to stop inhaling combustibles into my lungs and now you take away my flavors? How dare you!

If you do this I will do my best not to purchase or sell your product. I am

an adult (50 years) and like ONLY non tobacco flavors.

This is just wrong. I wish companies had some balls and stood against the

nanny-state and fought for what they believed in. Stop taking choices away from legitimate customers.

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:51 PM

To: XXXXX

Subject: RE: NJOY to Discontinue Flavors, Takes Additional Steps to Prevent

Underage Electronic Cigarette Use

XXXXX, thank you for your note. We actually agree with your opinion about

flavors, about adults being given the ability to choose what's best for

them, and that someone needs to stand up for the industry and the consumers it serves.

In fact, no company has done more on these fronts than NJOY. We were the first to bring electronic smoking devices to the US public, we were the

impetus behind setting up the industry's association, we are leading the way on the science on electronic smoking products, and we are on the frontlines of the related legal and political proceedings in an effort to ensure that electronic smoking products stay on the market in the US.

We didn't make our decision about flavors without great consideration, the

most important one being the importance of finding a place that will allow

electronic cigarettes to stay on the market. Sometimes compromises are

necessary to achieve longer-term gains. Please don't lose faith, because we

sure haven't, and we will continue being the leader in the industry, a

responsibility which includes taking feedback to heart from people like

yourself.

Amy Linert

Also remeber that NJOY has a pending court ruling where they argued that their product is a tobacco product. The decision to remove flavorings is part of their legal posturing. If they want to argue that they are selling a tobacco product, then they must follow the current law that prohibits flavored tobacco.

• 2 weeks later...

Also remeber that NJOY has a pending court ruling where they argued that their product is a tobacco product. The decision to remove flavorings is part of their legal posturing. If they want to argue that they are selling a tobacco product, then they must follow the current law that prohibits flavored tobacco.

jeffb, I'm too lazy and/or stupid to look for the answer myself, but why are they wanting to have their product classified as a tobacco product? I would assume it has to do with federal tax breaks for the tobacco industry? Why would they not argue instead that it is a smoking cessation product?

This may be the wrong forum for this, but I truly believe that in spite of the gov't (read that Dems) drive for "improved" health care, that they really do not have any interest in getting smokers to quit, any more than they want comsumers of alchohol to quit. Too big of a tax base for them.

Hi Knight, the FDA does not regulate tobacco products. Thus NJOY's stance that the FDA has no jurisdiction over their product. They do however regulate drugs and smoking cesation devices and are deciding if e-cigs are drug delivery devices. I haven't heard anything recently on what the FDA is doing, but I assume we'll hear something in 2010. This is a very simplified answer, but a complete answer could take pages to write. But like you, I'm too lazy right now. :D

I don't quite understand the idea of not offering flavors with juice due to targeting youth. I go into the grocery and see all types of cigars and blunt papers with every flavor under the sun. I hope e-cig juice would fall under the same tobacco category as these items. Just wondering if anyone knows why these items seem to be under a different scrutiny than analog cigarettes or any other tobacco products.

Edited by WhiteOwl

I don't quite understand the idea of not offering flavors with juice due to targeting youth. I go into the grocery and see all types of cigars and blunt papers with every flavor under the sun. I hope e-cig juice would fall under the same tobacco category as these items. Just wondering if anyone knows why these items seem to be under a different scrutiny than analog cigarettes or any other tobacco products.

The FDA is already starting to pull those of the shelf. For example it's now illigal in California to seel djarum cigars.

I suspect the candy and soda pop flavors are going to be what does us in .Even though I enjoy them I can see how someone looking for ammo would say we are trying to lure the kiddies with candy flavored poison.Any disclaimers do not help children are not supposed to be able to buy ciggarettes but somehow Joe Camel lured them in.

I don't think anyone actually realizes just how big this is. You think NJOY is doing this just to be nice?

Don't be surprised if this is the way things will go. VT will end up the same way some day....There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes and I can tell you next year is going to be an interesting year for the ecig world I imagine. It's a sign, believe it.

Enjoy your flavors now...

I have to agree with you Chris, I have a bad feeling about this. Any update on the dumbass lawsuit they jumped on with SE against the FDA? And what about the Family Tobacco Act bill that passed Senate mid-year. Hmmmm, that mentioned flavors of analogs in that bill?

Well let my fire back with MHO

When are we gonna see analogs in just tobacco and menthol or do they need hundreds of brands/variations that claim there own unique flavors like milds,full flavor,ultra light,turkish blend etc.

It would simplify the whole cig buying just to say give me a pack of coffin nails in menthol,That would shrink the whole cig section at the store to two kinds.

I wouldnt need to have a favorite version, isnt that what they are trying to do to us!!!!

We can still spike our own thanks to loranns and other flavor producing companies they will never be able to tie our hands completely...