Good basic settings

tekdiver500ft

Hi, new to this (obviously), but just moved away from the eLeaf iJust2 80Watt as I was constantly burning coils with my juices, which are all commercial and fairly sweet.  I bought an eLeaf iStick TC60W Temperature Control, and need to find a good basic setting to start from.  I'm looking for the best plume possible without burning out coils in just a couple days (they typically only last about three to four days on my iJust).  So, which of the three coils should I use, how many ohms for that coil, what wattage and temperature are good, solid starting points?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, and welcome to Vapor Talk!

In your post you say you just bought an eLeaf iStick TC60W battery, you don't mention what tank you're using. We'll need to know that to help you better. Also, you ask 'which of the three coils' you should use. Can you give us some specs on these coils? What is the resistance of these coils? Is there a difference in the type of wire used? In TC, I believe you have to use a wire made from something different than the usual kanthal.

Knowing the PG/VG ratio of your juice would also be very helpful.

Higher PG = thinner juice, less vapor, better flavor carrier

Higher VG = thicker, slightly sweeter juice (which gunks up coils faster), more vapor, mutes flavor

Sorry for all the questions, but it's much easier to help if we know more.  :)

Thanks for the reply.  It's a kit, so it included the tank and three coils. ( http://www.dhgate.com/product/eleaf-istick-tc-60w-melo-2-starter-kit-istick/258707011.html#gw-1-3|ff8080814fd45a2a01504a4afece46b0)

There is a titanium coil, a standard coil, and a nickel coil.  I don't know the brand name (can't read the label), but the juices I use the most are:  The GOAT,  Pitbull Top Dogg, and Pitbull Sugar Drizzle.

Melo 2 tank with

EC Head (Kanthal) -- 0.3 ohm (30 - 80W)

EC TC-Ni Head (Nickel 200) -- 0.15 ohm (60W max)

EC TC-Ti Head (Titanium) -- 0.5 ohm (60W max)

With any coil, start low, vape. If it's not what you like, turn it up a little, vape. Repeat until you get a slight burnt taste or a harsh vape. Turn it down a notch or two and that should be the sweet spot on that coil. Without the PG/VG ratio, I'm at a loss about giving you advice on how to get more vapor without frying coils. If you can't read the brand name, do you have the name of the store where you got the juice? If it's a B&M, do they have a website as well?

With temp control, the battery should be regulating the wattage automatically - in other words, even if you set your wattage to 50w the temp function would attenuate the wattge down.

However if you are burnining coils and/or cotton then you probably have temp limit set too high.  I would start at 450 and regulate it up or down slightly from there.  Somewhere in there you will find the sweet spot with your juice. It can vary between juices.

Setting temp limit too high defeats the purpose of temp control. You should get decent vapor still but you won't get cloud blowing vapor on that set up.  This will only work on the Ni and Ti, not the kanthal.

Edited by Bebop

If you have a way to observe your read out as you vape (usually a mirror is needed) you can check out your temps as you fire the unit. If your temp rockets up to the limit too quickly, you probably have wattage set too high. 

When you hit the temp limit it shuts down your wattage and your coil dies. It stops applying power until temp drops. With too high a wattage you getca weak vape. 

Ideally you want to have it barely skate up to temp limit or not reach it so its still applying power to the coil.

Remember, temp control loves airflow. Too little airflow will make you hit limit too fast too.

You will learn a lot by reading thread. "Let's Talk Temp Control"

• 11 months later...