Text Window on iPad

I'm trying to determine if I have a glitch in my iPad or if the problem lies in the software on this site with regard to posting.

I very rarely post from my PC. No problems there.

My time is probably equally divided between my iPad and my android phone.  No problems on the phone.

On the iPad, when I select a reply to a post amd get several annoying problems:

-No response requiring multiple taps to get it to "select"

- the text window pops up but when I try to touch a starting point, the cursor does not come up and i can't type a response

- the cursor comes up and I start typing but no letters appear. Have to back out and try again

- select window to begin typing and it kicks me out of the textwindow and opens up the general forum

- cannot select any emoticons as part of text

These problems are not random.  They happen nearly every time.  I do not visit a lot of different sites but these problems only occur on VT site.  My iPad functions normally on virtually every other site I visit (which honestly is only a few other sites.)  

hmm everything works in my Keynote software (which allows me to emulate different devices) but I'll see if I can't get a hold of an iPad and replicate the issue. In theory though, if it works well on Mobile it should work the same on your iPad as it's the same site. Basically if you're on a desktop for example and you take your browser window and slide the window from left to right you can watch the site dynamically adjust. (You can actually view the site in "mobile" mode by simply shrinking your desktop window or any window for that matter) 

At any rate I'll see if I can test it and report back. In the mean time if anyone else comes across this post that has an iPad feel free to comment

I just checked my iPad and can confirm the chat bar is not showing up in Safari, even when in "desktop" mode.  It works in Chrome, but I have to specifically switch to the desktop site rather than the mobile site to get the chat bar to show up.  

I just checked my iPad and can confirm the chat bar is not showing up in Safari, even when in "desktop" mode.  It works in Chrome, but I have to specifically switch to the desktop site rather than the mobile site to get the chat bar to show up.  

That's correct. The chat doesn't show on mobile because it doesn't function well on mobile (gets all jumbled). 

When you say you're switching from Desktop to Mobile are you clicking a link? 

ah I see. That makes more sense. Basically every browser has an agent identifier. When you visit the site the browser says "Hey it's adversarious1 and he's on an iPhone with a mobile browser" the forum then displays XYZ and the chat disables. If you switch that setting from mobile to desktop, it "tricks" the site into thinking your a desktop computer and vice versa if you're on a phone. The forum then see's the agent and it says "yo, it's adversious1 I'm on desktop" and the site will display that chat bar. 

This is actually normal. Chat is turned off for mobile users to prevent ensure a pleasant experience on the site because the chat bar doesn't do well on mobile (yet). It "knows" you're on moble by the agent identifier. 

Disregard my comment about it not working in Safari.  It does.

From Safari browser: after bringing up the website, tap the address bar to bring up your bookmarks/favorites.  Drag down and you will have the option to "Request Desktop Site".   This works for both iPad and iPhone, though if you want to chat, I highly recommend landscape mode.

Safari screenshot:

safari.thumb.PNG.011f717cf670eb7c556966e

Most will probably stay with the native Safari browser, so that should work.  If you do use Chrome on an iDevice though, the following should help you out.

In the top right corner of the Chrome app there will be three vertical dots.  Tap those dots and a menu will open that will include the option to request the desktop site:

chrome.thumb.PNG.229f77a554fb2d544e1fb7b

I'm normally a PC user at work or tapatalk on an Android device when mobile, but I'm familiar with most Android browsers and I'm pretty sure they all have an option to switch to desktop mode somewhere.

Well, that's interesting. I'm on iPad now and my safari browser is identical to what you have posted there except I do not have the very top where I do not have the same address bar and I do not have the three vertical dots.

ive hunted around and I can find nowhere to switch to desktop mode.  :(

Just get a Windows tablet, they are surprisingly good for social media and browsing..I can even play PC games on it, a bit hard with a touch screen... but how cool is that ? It will even run program's like photoshop....

Edited by cesar

673081.jpg

Just get a Windows tablet, they are surprisingly good for social media and browsing..I can even play PC games on it, a bit hard with a touch screen... but how cool is that ? It will even run program's like photoshop....

Yea I've got a couple surface tablets here at the house that are great. Even better it has kids mode so I can let the kids do their thing without worrying about them breaking anything. (other than the screen) 

yeah, but it doesn't have GarageBand !  :lol:

Well, that's interesting. I'm on iPad now and my safari browser is identical to what you have posted there except I do not have the very top where I do not have the same address bar and I do not have the three vertical dots.

ive hunted around and I can find nowhere to switch to desktop mode.  :(

Bebop, if you were referring to the second pic with the three vertical dots, that's the Google Chrome browser for iPad, not Safari.

I'll take my Linux based Android devices all day long over a Windows tablet. My iDevices are work issued or I would never have even touched them. :P

image.jpg

I don't know what half that stuff is up there. ^^^^^^^^^^^^.  😜😲😎😀

image.jpg

The second shot is my text window (without the keyboard

I just tried to edit out the text between my merged screen shots and I can't.   I can't see the text between the shots when I ask to edit the last post

I'm might get pitch forked here but that is the full site, am I missing something? 

1. Logo  - Beop name (brings drop down menu) 

2. Menu (Forum, links into the store, rewards for those who shop on the VT store etc)

3. Banner ad (gotta make sure the bills are paid)

4. This topic

??

As for the text/glitch issues I tried it on an iPad just today and had no issues. What iPad do you have (Wondering if it's one of the older models) Thanks for being patient we'll get this figured out one way or another. Desktop issues are easy to solve because I can usually remote into a members computer (over the phone with their permission) and solve the issue. But  tablets are a little trickier. 

EDIT: At this rate Bebop I might just drive to your home lol 

Edited by Christopher

Lol

hope I'm not driving you crazy, Christopher.  My iPad is 2 years old maybe?  Probably not the newest one but not that old.

well, that's weird. I'm still having all the issues I described.   I guess where I'm confused is you used to be able to switch between mobile site and full site.  I just assumed this was the mobile site. 

The only reason I wanted the "full" site was I wanted the chat feature. It used to work on my phone but doesn't any more.  

Lol

hope I'm not driving you crazy, Christopher.  My iPad is 2 years old maybe?  Probably not the newest one but not that old.

well, that's weird. I'm still having all the issues I described.   I guess where I'm confused is you used to be able to switch between mobile site and full site.  I just assumed this was the mobile site. 

The only reason I wanted the "full" site was I wanted the chat feature. It used to work on my phone but doesn't any more.  

That is where the confusion is coming in. There is no mobile site anymore. In fact most sites/companies are moving away from the whole mobile/desktop site because it means more to maintain. Instead the site now using one theme basic structure. It adapts itself as I mentioned above to any screen size. 

The way to see this actually take place is on a desktop computer. When you have time, open the website on a desktop computer. Now when you have your browser window open you can take your mouse to the very edge of the window until two little arrows appear <-> drag the window side to side and you'll actually see the site change between desktop/tablet and phone mode. Basically the menu above shrinks and turns into what we call a "hamburger" menu. It's not that there is a mobile/desktop site anymore just that the graphic interface will transform itself when it notices your screen size shrink. 

In the case of you iPad you're actually running the full version of the sites graphic interface because your screen is just big enough. But you're still technically running a mobile browser not a full desktop browser. The chat bar is run on separate software (Cometchat) which is set to turn off for mobile users. When a device visits a the website/forum (iphone, windows computer, whatever) it has what we call an "agent". Basically it's like a drivers license for browsers. Kind of. It tells us as web developers what you are using to view the site, allowing us to better code/program the experience for you. In your case, you are visiting using a mobile browser and while technically your screen is larger enough to handle the chat, most mobile browsers are not, the chat doesn't work correctly and thus is disabled for any agent (driver's license) that the site identifies as mobile. 

The way around this is to trick the site into thinking you're a desktop. And you do that by changing your browser settings to "request desktop mode" or a similar settings. To do that in iOS8 (I'm not sure what version you are running) see this link here: 

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/request-desktop-site-ios-8/

Again to recap, you're stuck in the middle. What's happening here is the forum knows your mobile but have a big enough screen to have a full featured menu, thus, the site shows like it would on desktop. But the CHAT which has it's own settings, see's that you are a mobile device and isn't smart enough to know that you can run chat. Thus, it turns itself off. 

I should note that I'm working on bridging the chat between the TapaTalk app to resolve issues just like this. (Which is how 40% of the users visit us now) 

Thank you, Christopher.   I get it now.

@Jeff - used chat from my phone maybe 2 weeks ago?  It was on the bottom bar of my screen.

Okay, I figured it out

on an iPad - tap the address bar and it brings up your "favorites" screen.  Put your finger on this screen  and swipe down. The screen will slide down and reveal the "request desktop site" option.  Select the option and the page will reload.  Voila! The chat bar appears.

adversarious1 pointed it out earlier.  I missed the part where you have to move your finger to the "favorites" screen. It doesn't work if you swipe from the address bar. You have to swipe from the "favorites" screen.

Edited by Bebop

Okay, I figured it out

on an iPad - tap the address bar and it brings up your "favorites" screen.  Put your finger on this screen  and swipe down. The screen will slide down and reveal the "request desktop site" option.  Select the option and the page will reload.  Voila! The chat bar appears.

Awesome! I'm glad it's finally resolved :)