Thinking of building my own VV/VW

Squid

Looking to build my own box mod. I am not up on all of the what's what of the parts. Looking for recommendations on the chip, and the tank interface (510 adapter?). The only chip I know the name of is the DNA40 LOL.

I have a friend that has a 3D printer, and he is willing to print me up a box if I design it, and I have access to SolidWorks and the ability to use it fairly well.

I have the general shape in mind mimicking the VTR with the tank on the side low, powered by an 18650 or 2 if needed, but I can't finalize the design until I get all the parts.

Basically I am looking to be able to run a sub-ohm tank, one of the ones with pre-built coils, I have enough hobbies, I don't need to get into winding my own. Not really interested in temp control, but if the chip can run it or not and has good specs and reviews I may just go with it. (Leaves an open reason to get a new tank down the road.) I like the Xvostick, but I can't justify the price.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Either the DNA 40 or the YIHI SX350j or sx 330v4 if your interested in temp. control or might be down the road. Either way is a good choice. I've been using a DNA 40 for a while and like it. I don't have a need for high wattage or I would have went the YIHI route.

I have built quite a few dream mods in Sketch Up.  I got mad and deleted all of them...lol  Using Sketch Up and a few other tools you can upload any design to Shapeways and have it printed in some of the best quality I have found.  There are few others popping up that do good work too.  Sketch up is very easy to use once you get the hang of it.  The few things I have had printed came out great!

If you are looking for IMO the best 510 connection and boards available check out this site: http://www.varitube.com/YiHi-SX350-DIY-Parts_c_23.html  I have one of the 14mm ones on my MPV 2 and am putting a 22mm on my ipv Mini 2.  They sell all of the YiHi Boards too.

The YiHi boards do look good, but I am a bit concerned about the "gravity switch". The reviews on the site linked to above are 50/50 on them working, and no clue if you can disable them.

I would look at the sx350 mini and the sx350j mini. They do have buttons, and the gravity sensors. Check out busardo's sx mini review to get a better idea on how they work. IMO the best board on the market. I want to like the DNA40, but they have had quiet a few issues and they keep upgrading it. I don't want to buy one and them add features that I won't get. The yihi board is upgradable.

It's coming down to the sx350j or the SX330 V3S. I am leaning to the latter because it doesn't have the gravity switches, and so far from what I have found is still supported for upgrades.

Just got thrown a curveball, was talking to the guys at the local B&M. One of them says "hang on a sec". Comes out from the back room with a God Box that someone dropped off to fix. Turns out the guy left it there and bought an Istick or something. Looks like he dropped it, the 510 adapter is busted off and the wires to it are broken off the board. It doesn't really fit into what I was planning, but the price was right, they gave it to me. Currently charging up my 18650s to see it it powers up at least before I start trying to make something close to what I want out of it. If it doesn't work out all I am out is my time......

Well, the God Box is dead it doesn't even power up at this point. I am going to put it on the shelf and go back to it later, I didn't reconnect any wires, and that may be the problem, but for now, work permitting I am back to my original plan.....