Sub-Ohm tank question

Ok last night at the vape shop I picked up a Eleaf MELO. Why Im still not sure but my i23 batt says it works to0.3 ohms and for some strange I wanted a sub ohm tank (new toy). The tank is 0.5 ohm and needs a  20-30 watt batt to work. My i23 is 23 watt.

My question is do I need to start off @20watts to use the tank?..

PS, heres the tank.

http://www.eleafworld.com/product/detail.php/melo-atomizer.html

The rule of thumb for any tank, any atomizer, any coil is to start low. Vape. If it doesn't do it for you, turn it up a little, vape. Continue until you get a slight burnt or harsh taste. Back it down just a bit. That will be your sweet spot for that juice and that atomizer. It doesn't matter if it's a stock coil or one you built yourself. Stay safe and meter your coils before putting it on your battery.  :)

Oh, and when you're using a sub-ohm coil, you might want to use a juice that's low in nic. Many people prefer 3 - 6 mg depending on the resistance of your coil. 

Edited by Tam

Thanks Tam  I dont have a meter and if I did I have no idea how to meter a coil................ Why would I need to meter a stock coil??.

If it vapes good at sat 12 watts whats the purpose of it needing a 20-30 watt batt

Edited by cany

Thanks Tam  I dont have a meter and if I did I have no idea how to meter a coil................ Why would I need to meter a stock coil??.

If it vapes good at sat 12 watts whats the purpose of it needing a 20-30 watt batt

Ohm meters are very simple to use. Just screw in your atomizer, turn it on and it will read your Ohm. VT has one under accessories for reference.

Why would you need one? Coil resistance change the longer you use them. It is good to have one handy.

But for manufactured subtank coils, most likely you change them sooner because they get clogged up way before the coil resistance starts dancing.

At least it is in my experience.

iQuit makes some points that I would. Also, stock coils may or may not be at the resistance that they say they are. For example, I've metered what was supposed to be 1.8 ohm stock coils and have them read 1.6 ohm, 1.9 ohm, 2.0 ohm and in one instance, it read 2.4 ohm. When you're sub-ohming, the accuracy of the resistance becomes more important for safety's sake. Don't just blindly trust that what you buy is what you're getting.

The ohm meter that iQuit recommended is very simple to use and inexpensive.  :)

Not all coils require low volts/watts. That's why they make batteries and mods to be able to handle whatever you put on there... within reason. Just because you use 12 watts on this set up doesn't mean the next best thing will only use that much.   :)

No reason not to use it, it's probably a very good tank. Just use common sense and caution. Every atomizer and battery we use has the potential to go sideways if it's not used properly. Exercise a reasonable amount of caution and safety procedures and you should be fine.  :)

No reason not to use it, it's probably a very good tank. Just use common sense and caution. Every atomizer and battery we use has the potential to go sideways if it's not used properly. Exercise a reasonable amount of caution and safety procedures and you should be fine.  :)

What  caution /safety procedures/common sense/caution  should I be using besides checking ohms

That would be about it for this one since you're using a regulated device. Don't try to push it beyond its capabilities. If in doubt of the coil, throw in a different one. See? Pretty simple.  :)

I have a elo tank as well.  I love it.  MOst days I have to flip a coin to decide which to take to work my Melo or my SubTank Mini...  the coils that came with it and the 5 pack I purchased as replacements all read right at .5ohms for me.  I normally hit it from 15 to 25 watts on my Sigelei 30w.  Your device will fire it just fine. Before I bought my own meter I took coils into my local show and asked them if they could check the ohms for me.  friendly shop paired with me buying juice, mods, wire etc... from them and they didnt mind in the slightest.  Enjoy your Melo, its a great tank with good flavor and vapor production and damned good airflow.