Clapton Coils will change your life!

Trey921

I was introduced to my first Clapton coil a few weeks ago at Vape Blast in Fort Worth Texas and it has completely changed how i look at coil building in ever aspect. Picture a guitar string.. A small gauge wire like a 22 or 24 gauge that is then completely wrapped all the way down by a larger gauge wire like a 30 or 32 gauge. When you do this it allows pockets for your juice to then soak into the actual coil. This will do two things, 1 it will allow for more surface area and more juice vaporizing and it will also give you better flavor. They also tend to last longer than standard coils in my experience. I'm currently vaping on a 24 gauge kanthal wire that is wrapped with a 28 gauge kanthal wire, I did 4 wraps on each side and built it in the sleeper style so there's only 1 wire not 2 like a normal dual parallel build. It's currently hitting a .18 ohms and it blows some serious clouds with still lots of flavor. I'm new to this forum so I'll try to figure out how to show some photos for reference but I recommend you all try it if you already haven't.

Edited by Trey921

I was introduced to my first Clapton coil a few weeks ago at Vape Blast in Fort Worth Texas and it has completely changed how i look at coil building in ever aspect. Picture a guitar string.. A small gauge wire like a 22 or 24 gauge that is then completely wrapped all the way down by a larger gauge wire like a 30 or 32 gauge. When you do this it allows pockets for your juice to then soak into the actual coil. This will do two things, 1 it will allow for more surface area and more juice vaporizing and it will also give you better flavor. They also tend to last longer than standard coils in my experience. I'm currently vaping on a 24 gauge kanthal wire that is wrapped with a 28 gauge kanthal wire, I did 4 wraps on each side and built it in the sleeper style so there's only 1 wire not 2 like a normal dual parallel build. It's currently hitting a .18 ohms and it blows some serious clouds with still lots of flavor. I'm new to this forum so I'll try to figure out how to show some photos for reference but I recommend you all try it if you already haven't.

Welcome Trey921!

I have tried a few clapton coils, and they are good.  I made a 24 wrapped with 32.  I have since moved to tiger wire, which is a round wire wrapped with flat kanthal.  I have not tried to make my own tiger wire yet, I buy it from one of the friends of the fourum, Comp at Fadora Vapor .  If you get a chance try it out!  I can't really run that low as I don't use the RDA much any more.  I am running a .9 ohm tiger coil in my Sub Tank Mini: This is not the one I am running now, it is close though.

What you describe is essentially a round wound guitar string, no? Is it as tightly wound as a guitar string would be? In other words does the wrapped wire completely hide the core? Interesting concept, although, the majority of vapor produced is produced by the "barrel" of the coil heating the wick core, not the wire itself in any coil. But it sounds like a nice enhancement of a standard coil. Send pics. :)

i like this, now i may have some purpose for the free coil you get in the box when you buy a rda.  Would love to see a glow test, i assume the smaller wire will glow hotter than the thicker guage.  all is it tough to predict how many wraps to make a certain resistance?  And finally your rda holes have to be large to handle the two wires, what rda do you have thier and did you have to drill it out?

at my favorite B&M, a guy there uses what he calls a no wic wrap.  he twists 2 24g wires together as tight as can be then in the reverse direction he twist a flat wire( i believe its the same gauge) to the twisted wire.  he puts juice n it and it does vape.  I will say i am not crazy about the pops you hear and im assuming that hot liquid will burn your lips once in a while.

Jake- wire is kinda funny in this way but the smaller your gauge like 20 or 22 gauge the hotter it will burn the larger your gauge like 28-32 the slower it will ramp up to that hot burn and it's all backwards 22 gauge wire is actually way thicker than 32 gauge wire.. Lol I use the dark horse RDA and no I didn't have to drill it for that build cause I did a sleeper build. If I would've made 2 separate coils there's no way they would've fit. And yea a wick less coil is similar but a lot less tightened up I'll post some more pictures of how to build a Clapton coil today.

Bebop -

It's just like a guitar string, if it's wrapped properly you shouldn't be able to see the core at all. You want it like this because when you go to wrap it you will inevitably stretch the outer wire. You want a little stretch for juice to soak in but not so much so that its defeating the purpose.

Like I said earlier I'll throw some pics up today of the process of making a Clapton coil.

26 around a 22 would be fine if you could get it to wrap nice and tight. It's very difficult to wrap larger diameter wires being as they are thicker but if you could do it then I don't see a problem with it. And I'm heading to my local vape shop to make them some claptons tomorrow so I promise I will post some photos of how to wrap them and what not.

71f5ffb21b3c04a9ea8e35dc262376a1.jpg

Step one take your wires and wrap them around each other at the ends so they begin the wrap process and bend a small 90 hook in the end so it will lock into the chuck of a drill

36f14e60ceba34a69486f16cbff44096.jpg

Step 2, lock the core wire in the drill and leave the excess wire that your going to use as the outer wrap hanging loose.

01270c690226f46f6db06a7cd8b1265c.jpg

Step 3 lock the wrap wire in your fingers around the core wire and start the drill this will begin the wrapping process. You will slowly move your hand down the length of the core wire while wrapping to keep it from over lapping. This will take practice but it's not hard once you get the general idea

d41d8b04b0b4f36c12aaff1b662e2c90.jpg

This is what the finished product should look like. The wrap should be so tight there are no gaps where you can see the core wire.

Well ohms law tells us that whatever your lowest resistance wire reads that's what it will stay at even with the wrap. I'd go with a 4-5 wrap 24 with a 32 that should keep you at around .2 ohms. My buddy wanted a cloud comp build so I did a 20 gauge with a 32 gauge wrap and did 5 wraps it hits a .09 ohms lol that's to hot for me but he produces some massive clouds with that set up.

that is sort of true, but one resistor has to be at least 10x smaller ( the great the delta the closer to the lowest resistor ie 100x) than the other and its only for quesstimating.  

ie 2 resistors in parallel using the product divided by the sum equation ( lets ignore inductance for all sanity:)

10 ohm and 100 ohm = 9.09 ohms

10 ohm and 1000 ohm = 9.9 ohms

0.2 ohm  and 0.5 ohm = 0.142 ohm

0.2 ohm and 1.0 ohm = 0.166 ohm