Building higher ohm for istick 50w

So I have been subohming on a mech since around Christmas, I just got an istick 50w and am in love!! (so much battery life)

I just threw a build on that I had been using on my mech it reads at .2, and have been using the whole 50watts or so it says I have because its probably past the amp limit. If I built at lets say .5-.7 would I get a better vape because of surface area? My definition of a better vape is a denser warmer vape with more flavor.

For the juices I vape, I prefer 0.8 Ohms or higher in my RDAs. The flavor is better (not hot/burnt/harsh), and the battery lasts MUCH longer because you're pulling fewer Amps on each hit.

I can see (understand) the need to run <0.25 Ohms if you're chasing clouds, but just because you CAN go super-sub-ohm, doesn't mean you have to :) One of my favorite analogies ... Just because your car's speedometer registers up to 200mph, doesn't mean you have to floor-it and DO 200mph every time you pull out of the driveway :).

To me, one of my favorite dripping juices seems to peak flavor around the 1.0 Ohm range with my RDAs (and 1.4 -1.6 Ohms in my RTA), but your rig and juice may peak flavor at different levels... not all set-ups (or preferences) are equal (thankfully, lol)

Will I get as much vapor production?

For the juices I vape, I prefer 0.8 Ohms or higher in my RDAs. The flavor is better (not hot/burnt/harsh), and the battery lasts MUCH longer because you're pulling fewer Amps on each hit.

I can see (understand) the need to run <0.25 Ohms if you're chasing clouds, but just because you CAN go super-sub-ohm, doesn't mean you have to :) One of my favorite analogies ... Just because your car's speedometer registers up to 200mph, doesn't mean you have to floor-it and DO 200mph every time you pull out of the driveway :).

To me, one of my favorite dripping juices seems to peak flavor around the 1.0 Ohm range with my RDAs (and 1.4 -1.6 Ohms in my RTA), but your rig and juice may peak flavor at different levels... not all set-ups (or preferences) are equal (thankfully, lol)

Vapor is produced by the VG content.

Flavor (and throat-hit) is carried by the PG content.

Therefore, in order to maximize vapor, you diminish flavor... to get a little better flavor, you sacrifice vapor.

50/50 juices are the best of both worlds, but nowhere near producing room-filling-fog from a single hit :) To me, anything with more VG content than 30/70 PG/VG juices have little flavor (and a sweet glycerine flavor, which I can't stand).

So, the "unicorn" of maximum, thick vapor, with a pinnacle of flavor... does not exist... you have to sacrifice one for the other, and find the balance you can live with for your personal satisfaction.

Vapor is produced by the VG content.

Flavor (and throat-hit) is carried by the PG content.

Therefore, in order to maximize vapor, you diminish flavor... to get a little better flavor, you sacrifice vapor.

50/50 juices are the best of both worlds, but nowhere near producing room-filling-fog from a single hit :) To me, anything with more VG content than 30/70 PG/VG juices have little flavor (and a sweet glycerine flavor, which I can't stand).

So, the "unicorn" of maximum, thick vapor, with a pinnacle of flavor... does not exist... you have to sacrifice one for the other, and find the balance you can live with for your personal satisfaction.

Will I get as much vapor production out of a higher ohm coil because of surface area?

It's a common misconception that higher (or lower) resistance (or Wattage, or Voltage) will affect vapor production in some huge fashion.

Lower resistance coils operate hotter than higher resistance coils (considering same Voltage applied to them), because lower resistance coils will draw more Amps. Higher resistance coils draw fewer Amps, and therefore will prolong the life of your battery.

Higher resistance coils also take longer to heat up (and longer to cool down), compared to lower resistance coils, which is why chain-vaping with high resistance coils is not desired, because it will heat up the atomizer/tank/juice.

Study Ohm's Law a bit more, and you'll begin to see the relationship between Resistance, Voltage, Wattage, and Amps. Simply throwing more Voltage or Wattage to a coil does not make it produce more vapor or more flavor... there is a delicate balance between the variables, and it will not be the same for every person, every tank/RTA/RDA, every battery-device... because every person's tastes are different/unique, and we all perceive juice flavors differently.

So, the short answer, no.. using a higher resistance coil will not give you more vapor. As I said above... VG content of the juice is what determines the potential for vapor production. From there, it's a balance of power, surface-area, heat, volume, and air-flow... There is no magic number of "use this juice, this ratio, this device and get max flavor/vapor"... if that were the case, there would not be thousands of different devices/juices on the market....

Edited by Earthling789

I do hearread that surface area gives you more vape.... a local B&M had a competition and the posted a description of the winners setup in the store. if i remember right it was a 0.8 ohm 24 guage dark horse on a 100w sigelei. I didnt see how big or what ever the criteria is that everyone seeks. Sorry not a big cloud chaser so my knowledge of it extremely limited.

Personally, I vape around .25-3 ohms on my sigelei 150 at 100 watts which is 4.7 volts roughly depending on where I build ur and I get great flavour and vape. I don't like pg, ruins the flavour for me. I don't like throat hits

• 3 weeks later...