How much do I really need to spend for a Mech mod

radnate

I am on a tight budget, and have a vamo V5 that is on it's last legs. I want to switch over to a mechanical mod for as cheap as possible. I've seen some really cheap clones in the $20 price range. Am I fooling myself thinking those might preform decently and not break immediately.

I don't need anything particularly beautiful are super well crafted. I can live with threading that is not smooth as butter and a firing button that a little stiff or slightly wobbly, and I don't care if the engraving looks like crap.

I hope to get a nicer mod as money allows, but right now I just need the minimum to get by, without sacrificing too much performance.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far, I don't know where I would be without this forum.

You can find some good sales from time to time, but going with a quality clone (Infinite, HCigar, EhPro) are the most economical way to go, even if not on sale.

I spent ~$34 each for my three MODS (including shipping), and my Copper Penny from HCigar is so close to an authentic, it's scary! I've compared it side by side, even interchanged the parts... zero differences!

Personally, I'd probably not buy an authentic unless the price was insanely low. I'll keep buying quality clones, and looking for good sales on those when I can find them :)

i might take some heat right now... but I do not see the point in buying an authentic, unless it has a new space age kindof thing that cannot be reproduced... its nice and shiny and fun but when you come to the basics... im definately not paying close to 100$ for a metal tube...

THAT BEING SAID i will pay that much for multiple tubes lol

in all honesty earthling hit the spot. hcigar infinite ehpro are the most reputable clone makers in my book. I would personally only buy from those three since they have a proven track record.

depending on the mod youre looking for you can definately find one under 40$ and some go even lower!

ive seen some crazy stuff on fastech but heard so many stories about them that im very hesitant.

I started with a hades clone. the black one made of... i think its stainless... it was good. i mean its purely mechanical. twist the caps, hit the button, and it goes. i see how some could get anoyed by a button that doesnt fire but there are adjustments one can do to get rid of that.

for your first one dont worry about it. go with the mentioned companies and you should get something great. the penny is actually an amazing mod, if you see one for cheap it would be a heck of a good way to start!!!

I only have 2 mods. I bought them on the same website. I gave 15.00 for a GP Paps clone. It has great machining on the tube, everything looks good, but the button is poor...really poor. It worked good enough until I bought my 4nine clone from the same place. I am in love with this little mod. I only gave 19.99 for it. I would buy another if they had one. I don't know who's version it is, but it has been great! That being said, I DON'T RECOMMEND IT as a first mod. I am a mechanical nerd and I have had 2 auto-fire incidents with it, and I am a very careful. Both were due to trying to get adjust excessive throw out of the button.

i might take some heat right now... but I do not see the point in buying an authentic, unless it has a new space age kindof thing that cannot be reproduced... its nice and shiny and fun but when you come to the basics... im definately not paying close to 100$ for a metal tube...

I totally understand this! I feel like you to a point. I would pay over $100 if it had something unique. I do like the design of the Super-T Workhorse, it is approaching $70. I also like the MMVapor's Nanos. It is also around $100. I personally do not use a mechanical mod enough to justify spending much more than that.

I am however looking into some of the 50 watt and up electronic mods that have replacable batteries such as IPV2/2S/3, Sigelei 100 watt, and Cloupor T6. I am not going to pull the trigger anytime soon, but It would be nice. I like the "best of both worlds" approach, mechanical power, electronic safety.

I am however looking into some of the 50 watt and up electronic mods that have replacable batteries such as IPV2/2S/3, Sigelei 100 watt, and Cloupor T6. I am not going to pull the trigger anytime soon, but It would be nice. I like the "best of both worlds" approach, mechanical power, electronic safety.

i honestly think that the hardware in those justify the higher price-point. but hey thats just the way i see things. some people justify buying 250$ jeans, never in my life i would do such a thing. call me cheap! but i will spend over 250$ on a nice supper with the wife. to each his own!

i honestly think that the hardware in those justify the higher price-point. but hey thats just the way i see things. some people justify buying 250$ jeans, never in my life i would do such a thing. call me cheap! but i will spend over 250$ on a nice supper with the wife. to each his own!

A man after my own heart! I do have a soft spot for hand made boots, but I don't own any (yeah, a headbanger in cowboy boots...smh) I am too cheap. I am over 40 so the fancy jeans are out of the question. I dress nice for work, but if I had my way, Levi's and a T-Shirt would be my wardrobe...lol

I also would spend in the $200 range for a meal for me and my wife, but just not too often!

$200 for a mechanical mod... I doubt it. (I won't say never though)

I have 2 Orig Mechs, my Red Copper Akuma $250.00 and my SS Magneto $38. The Magneto is no more than most clones and works great. The lock rings have issues though. The Magnetos make good starters. I also have 1 Chi You clone fully adjustable (Had to beef up the spring) and one Lava Fire that I had to rebuild the switch just to use it. The Akuma is all I use any more and the Lava fire is my build platform... it is all it was ever good for. LOL The Chi You just sits on the desk as a backup to my backup.

Yep, what comp said. Momentary switches are usually rated for 3-5 amp so running a MOSFET with a 15k resistor with allow the amps to bypas the switch. You can stack MOSFET too. One 3034 MOSFET can handle 195 amps, 2 can handle 390 amps.

Face book has a good group called box modders.

If you join read the files and pinned post before asking any questions or you'll be meme'd to death cause all the answers are in there lol

I have bought a couple authentics lately and absolutely love them. I never have to worry about anything when using them. Have zero issues and they hit harder then anything I have ever owned... I have the shotgun by emit paired with the Apollo by emit, flagship paired with ceo, and a Tantra by chillum.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Making my own box mod seems a little above my head right now
(although I would love to try my hand at that someday). It seems like I could get something acceptable around $35. Does anyone have a favorite mod clone they would suggest to someone new to the mechanical mod scene?

I started with a hades 26650 mod. The 28.5mm rda is a huge build deck and easy to build coils on and the 26650 battery last all day. Then I picked up a panzer Blackhawk and really like it too.

Those are the only mechs I have but I'd recommend either of them. A lot of people like the telescopic mods for first timers but but never tried one.

It is probably better to tell us what you are looking for in a mech mod too (i.e form factor 18350/18650/26650, copper or stainless, telescopic or tube, spring loaded vs magnetic switch, etc). What others find a good or great mod may not be the same criteria as what you have in mind, and it will leave you unhappy with our recommendation.

It is probably better to tell us what you are looking for in a mech mod too (i.e form factor 18350/18650/26650, copper or stainless, telescopic or tube, spring loaded vs magnetic switch, etc). What others find a good or great mod may not be the same criteria as what you have in mind, and it will leave you unhappy with our recommendation.

I guess form factor isn't a huge deal for me. I have never had or used a mechanical mod, so I'm not used to or expecting anything to work a specific way. My battery charger will take any of the standard sized batteries, so I don't mind if it's 26650 or 18650, but I would like it to take a large battery so I can vape all day. I'm not super hung up on color, but all my other stuff is stainless or black so that would be nice.

My main concerns are cost, performance, battery life, and ease of use. I care a lot more about getting a nice good hit than how I look doing it.

What are you planning on running on it? Are you planning on getting into dripping?

I have a tobh atty rda I plan on playing around with at home and a pair of protank 3's for out and about. I would love to do some mild sub ohming with the rda, but don't plan on doing anything crazy until I learn a LOT more.

I have a tobh atty rda I plan on playing around with at home and a pair of protank 3's for out and about. I would love to do some mild sub ohming with the rda, but don't plan on doing anything crazy until I learn a LOT more.

I really have not been using mods very long. I don't have much experience with any mods except the 2 that I own.

First I guess I should make sure you are using an ohm meter and have studied up on ohms law.

The Tobh is a good RDA to start with. I have 2 and I really like them. As for the mod, I would really look around for something that gets good ratings. I really like the magnetic buttons myself. The 1:1 Nemesis seems to be a very popular choice. I really like my 4nine, but it is a little scarey with it's hybrid top. The positive pin of the atty must extend to make contact with the battery. If the center part does not extend enough it will cause a direct short. It is also picky about battery length, there is no adjustment except for using the center pin of the atty and/or small magnet spacers. My other mod is a GP Paps clone. It is fair, but it took a lot of filing, fitting, and adjusting to make it work at all. I got both of these for under $20.

I also have not had good luck running tanks on them. I like a little more power. With a 1.8 ohm atty it will only be 9.8 watts in the beginning, and will slowly go down from there. I like the consistent power of an electronic box.

I am sorry I am not more help!

Shouldn't be a problem running a tank on a mec mod. For the tobh it's really going to depend on what build you have. Jason said it, get that ohm meter before even attempting to put something on there. At first when building I was a little iffy and gradually went down into sub ohming. My comfort zone is around 0.2 and even then, you have to be VERY careful not to overtrain the battery and make sure there are no shorts, make sure you put it down at the first sign of uncomfortable heat. I personally have a very low tolerance, as soon as I feel it getting hot. I stop. Simple as that. There is cleaning to be considered too. My mod is due for a cleaning and the button gets hot when I vape a dozen drags in a row. There's crud on the pin which doesn't make for good contact.

My rule of thumb is, if it's not vamping like if it was brand new, there's something you have to adjust or clean or adjust. Something isn't right!

I'm a build quality vapor. I buy and use both authentic and clone alike. The major difference in what I've bought has been smoothness of the fire switch. Some lower quality clones can be trash though.

For instance. The infinite stingray X is actually nicer than the authentic. The hcigar is high quality and well built but the button is a little crunchy.

Overall though from what I've seen if you stick with infinite, ehpro and hcigar you should be good.

I may suggest though if youre gonna run a tank like a protank maybe throw a kick in there to keep the consistency of your vape while you're using the tank.

If youre comfortable building a box. I drip on my dna30s with dual coil builds and have had some fairly satisfying results at 20w on a single coil. So by the time you factor everything in you might be able to find a decent 20w -30w- 50w regulated mod for not much more than a quality clone Plus a kick, unless youre looking to ultra subohm.

Like everything else you want your mod to fit your vaping style. Unless you start getting multiple Mods for different purposes.

I try and keep my builds at 0.3 or higher on the mechs and 0.5 or higher on the dnas. (They won't fire below a 0.5)

Edited by Tony Mike

A good beginner mod is the Kamry K100 telescopic mod. Simple to use and practically no adjustments necessary.

My second choice would be the hcigar nemesis. Another simple to use device but you do have to adjust the positive/top pin so it makes contact with your atty.

• 2 weeks later...