Kanger Short Stem v Regular Stem coils?

Monkeyman

I need new coils for my Kanger Aerotank. My next tank will be an Aerotank Mega. The Store has the Short Stem coils on sale for a super price. I'm ready to order but I have some questions first.

What's the difference between the 2? Does one work better than the other? I don't want to spend money on something that won't work as well as the Regular Stem coils.

The Regular coils are dual coils. I assume the Shorts are single coil. What difference does this make?

Thanks!

Edited by Monkeyman

If I remember correctly... the short-stem (stubby-stem) coils were the "original" Kanger single-coils... and the stem barely stuck above the silicone cap. The ones in the store are longer than the originals, but shorter than the current single-coils (second-generation?). There is no difference between the stubby stems, short-stems, or long-stems... other than the obvious ability to have more grip to screw them into place? The silicone cap is what seals the center tube to prevent flooding/leaking, so the length of stem should not matter.

However, you are needing dual-coils for your AeroTanks... and the short-stems you're referring to are single-coils. Yes, you can modify them to make them fit and work in the AT, PT3, PT3-mini, T3'd, and EVOD2 Glass... I've used single-coils in my AT before by sliding the cap up the stem to seal the tube (or use a second silicone cap upside-down on the stem to seal), but there's still a chance of leakage because the caps may not maintain that seal because there is nothing below it to maintain pressure/seal between the coil unit and the center tube.

Just last night I asked Christopher (Vapor Talk's Godfather and founder), and he said these work the same as the longer stemmed coils on the Kanger Pro Tank and the KPT2 along with all the other tanks the store description states. Like Earthling said, and he remembers correctly, these shorter stemmed single coils were the originals. And if I remember correctly, I liked these better than the longer stemmed ones. Less leakage and less problems than what we sometimes encounter with the longer stems.

You will, however, want the dual coils for your Aerotank. :)

Yep, I have a short-stem coil in one of my KPT2's right now... working perfectly, just like the longer-stem coils.

BTW, I've somehow ended up with a few of the stubby ones early on in my vaping experience... while they work fine, the are a PITA to screw in and get out... without getting juice all over your fingers or having the urge to grab a pair of pliers :)

Thanks for the sanity-check Tam... And, yes, I think the longer stem ones are more prone to getting loose in the coil-head because the longer fulcrum-point (takes less effort to bump them loose)... perhaps that is why they have more leakage issues?

You know, I think you're right, Earthling. The longer stemmed coils seem to come loose more often than the shorter ones. Even though I have quite a stash of extra coils I may need to pick up some of these short ones. I like not having juices leak so often. :)

You will, however, want the dual coils for your Aerotank. :)

Well, since these short stems are single coils, I guess I'll pass on these. I'll order the dual coils instead. At twice the price, I won't buy as many but I gotta have some coils.

Thanks for the responses, guys and gals. BTW, I've only had one coil leak. Once I disassembled, dried and blew out the AT, it was all good.

The short stem are not single coils they are dual. If you want a long stem take one off an old coil and replace the short one with a long one. Use the old silicon rubber as well. The short stems do leak more than the long stem.

The ones in the VT store what as known as Med or standard stem. They are the one single coil atty's

This is a short stem:

Kanger+Protank+3+Atomizer.jpg

This is a standard:

bcc-replacement-coils-.jpg

Long Stem:

kanger-replacement-coils-.jpg

Protank-3-head-comparison.jpg

The short stem are not single coils they are dual. If you want a long stem take one off an old coil and replace the short one with a long one. Use the old silicon rubber as well. The short stems do leak more than the long stem.

Short-stems were on single-coils too... I've got a box of 1.8 singles with short-stems... and the original EVODs I got from Brian all had 2.5 Ohm short-stems in them :)

Agreed, you can always swap the stems, but I've not had a leakage issue with the short-stem coils... and a couple of the long-stems have given me leakage... so I guess it's a coin-toss on leakage and can happen to either?

Short-stems were on single-coils too... I've got a box of 1.8 singles with short-stems... and the original EVODs I got from Brian all had 2.5 Ohm short-stems in them :)

Agreed, you can always swap the stems, but I've not had a leakage issue with the short-stem coils... and a couple of the long-stems have given me leakage... so I guess it's a coin-toss on leakage and can happen to either?

I thought the only "Short Stem" were the original Pro 3 coils. they were out about a month and then Kanger went back to the longer stem. Interesting... :)

Ahhh, pictures are worth a thousand words...

What you were calling "short", I was calling "stubby"

What you were calling "standard", I was referring to as "short-stems".

That was confusing me too :)

Yes, the short-stems (that barely stuck above the caps) were on the dual-coils... I've not seen any of them in the single-coils.

The standards and longs are what I have in my single-coil stockpile, and thankfully, I've gotten rid (used-up) all the short-stem dual-coils... man, I hated those things...

When the first original Kanger Pro Tanks first came out, the replacement single coils were all short. That lasted until shortly after the Pro Tank 2 came out, and Kanger then changed to a longer coil, which is what's been sold until now. It's kinda nice to see these short coils become available. I preferred these. :)

Edited by Tameiki