Cigar smoker

jllbms

Hello, all. What do you think about a seasoned cigar smoker taking up vaping? I've got a low end unit, e-generation, that works ok. I've been vaping tobacco blends primarily. I don't inhale. This isn't for me to quit the stogies, just an alternative. I believe that if I got one of the high end units, it would more closely approximate the cigar experience.

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

P.S. I started all this in solidarity with my girlfriend, whom I'm trying to help stop smoking.

John

Welcome to VT!

I smoked cigars for 30 years, and started vaping on April first of this year... not had a stogie since!

If you're looking to mimic the cigar experience, you don't have to spend a fortune, or go with any "high-end" equipment. A good tank, lower Ohm coil, quality juice in the right flavors and a variable-voltage or variable-wattage battery will do you just fine!

There are plenty of good juices out there that will mimic the flavors you love. A dual-coil tank will provide (generally) more vapor than a single-coil, but your PG/VG ratio will also set the tone for vapor, too. The higher the VG number, the more vapor... higher the PG number, the more 'throat-hit'.

I would suggest you start with a quality battery, like the Vision Spinner, or similar VV battery, or even starting out with a VV/VW battery like the Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0 is not bad for a beginner. Tanks from Kanger, Aspire, AnyVape, SmokTech will all do well for a beginner. Once you get your feet wet, so to speak, you may wish to explore mechanical MODs, rebuildables, higher-end APVs, etc... but I'd never recommend a beginner start out with advanced equipment... just my $0.02 :)

Welcome to VT!

I smoked cigars for 30 years, and started vaping on April first of this year... not had a stogie since!

If you're looking to mimic the cigar experience, you don't have to spend a fortune, or go with any "high-end" equipment. A good tank, lower Ohm coil, quality juice in the right flavors and a variable-voltage or variable-wattage battery will do you just fine!

There are plenty of good juices out there that will mimic the flavors you love. A dual-coil tank will provide (generally) more vapor than a single-coil, but your PG/VG ratio will also set the tone for vapor, too. The higher the VG number, the more vapor... higher the PG number, the more 'throat-hit'.

I would suggest you start with a quality battery, like the Vision Spinner, or similar VV battery, or even starting out with a VV/VW battery like the Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0 is not bad for a beginner. Tanks from Kanger, Aspire, AnyVape, SmokTech will all do well for a beginner. Once you get your feet wet, so to speak, you may wish to explore mechanical MODs, rebuildables, higher-end APVs, etc... but I'd never recommend a beginner start out with advanced equipment... just my $0.02 :)

This is pretty good advice. I smoked cigarettes from about 15-20. Then only smoked cigars on occasion from 20-present. Now that I vape ... I enjoy it even more than cigars. The ONLY drawback is ... vapor doesnt seem to keep the bugs away liek cigar smoke did. But hey that may be an indication of how much healthier it is? Maybe?

Earthling gives some excellent advice and great recs. I'll add just a little more info, however.

More PG = thinner juice, more throat hit, less vapor

More VG = thicker juice (gunks up coils faster), less throat hit, slightly sweeter flavor, more vapor

Higher nicotine level = more throat hit, can add slightly bitter taste

That said, if you were a cigar smoker I'd suggest starting with a 24 mg nic, 50 PG/50 VG juice to start. Then, after you get going you can play with the levels to your idea of perfection. Vaping is an intensely personal thing. What works and tastes good to one person won't work and taste awful to another. There's no forecasting what will work for you until you try it for yourself.

Good luck! :)