Miserable Fail this morning

Hi, all,

I just bought an e-cig kit yesterday and set aside my Carlton Menthol 100's (1 mg tar, 0.1 mg nicotine/ cig + who knows what other stuff). I started out with a 6 mg highly mentholated fluid. Yesterday went well, but my morning coffee ritual tanked my expectations this morning.

I usually have about 3 cups of coffee and almost chain-smoke around 10 cigarettes every morning.. I tried to stay with the e-cig, but something was missing - probably the tons of other additives tobacco companies use to make cigs more addictive. I also got a monster nicotine headache halfway through my first cup, so I'm going to have to cut the strength.

Tail between my legs, I went to the freezer and broke out another pack. Once I finish my coffee, I plan to wrap it in cellophane for tomorrow -- if only to ensure that I don't grab it by pure habit.

Does anyone else have this coffee-guzzling, chain-smoking morning ritual? If so, did you find a way around it?

Thanks!

Been there, done that! Just keep trying every day. If you vape through out the day and the morning routine is the bad time, just give it time. It'll get better. And, with time, I'm guessing the craving will lessen. It did for me.

Thanks, VapeMama,

I have two e-cigs in the set, so the first thing I'll do is cut the nicotine level in one for my morning binge. That should stop the headaches. The rest sounds like patience and willpower. Willpower I've got - stopped cold turkey for weeks at a time before. I'm a little older, now, so my patience is going to be the real test.

Morning coffee smokes and after-meal smokes... the hardest to break the habit for!

For the first couple of weeks after I started vaping, I had massive cravings for a real smoke first thing in the morning and after dinner... I just forced myself to hit the e-cig instead of the real thing... but then again, I didn't have any analogs in the house. After I smoked my last one, I picked up the vaping gear and refused to buy another pack of analogs, so I'm sure that helped me through the rough times, because I didn't have an analog to turn to :)

You'll get there eventually, but don't beat yourself up when you slip back to the analogs... look on the bright side of things... you're not chain-smoking two packs a day anymore, so the vaping routine is already "working" to reduce your dependance on analogs!

Hi, ILuvHuskyDogs.

6mg seems kind of low, especially if you feel you need 10 cigarettes in the morning. Sometimes, you need stronger nic just in the morning when the cravings are particularly strong.

So first, I'd recommend you try something like 18mg (you can go higher) just for the first thing in the morning. And pace yourself. You can taper off to something lower to get you through the day.

Second, what kind of e-cigarette did you get? I don't know what you have already, but maybe you'd like something that could give you more oomph, something with variable-voltage (or variable wattage). Something like an eGo Twist, Vision Spinner, SmokTech Winder, EVOD VV (They're all very similar), or one of the iTaste models (i.e. MVP, etc.).

As to addiction, a lot of it comes from nitrosomines created by the smoke combined with the nicotine. The specific chemicals from smoke haven't been identified. But, with e-cigarettes, you just get the nicotine.

Anyway, keep experimenting with the e-cigarettes to see what works for you. Not everybody can just make the switch, outright, but if you keep up vaping, eventually you may find yourself able to quit stinkies entirely.

Good luck. Keep asking questions and welcome to the forum. :wave:

Oh, God, Earthling,

I have a carton and a half in the freezer, plus another 7/8's of a carton of old, stale beasts for an emergency. Perhaps I should start with the old stale beasts for my morning cuppa's . . .? They taste horrible. That should make the switch easier.

I am going to cut the nicotine level. I've been vaping the rest of the day, today, and fighting nicotine headaches, not to mention that "sumpin, sumpin" that keeps me coming back to my Carlton's.

Bob, I have an EVOD, and I'm filling it with Halo Sub-Zero, 6 mg solution. It's as close as I can come to the Carlton's - although a little high on the nicotine. There's still something missing. Give me a GC-Mass Spec, and I might be able to nail it. Knowing the tobacco companies, it's likely a Trade Secret, and therefore not patented. So, if anyone from Halo is lurking, fair game! Just buy some fresh Carlton's and have at it.

Thanks to all for your kind replies.

If you were/are smoking Carlton 100s, that's about 18 mg of nicotine, not 6 mg, regardless of what it says on the package. 6 mg of nic is more like an ultra light or somewhere there abouts.

First thing in the morning, try a higher nic (don't cut it down). You might find that you don't want or don't need to chain vape that way as you'll be getting the nicotine your body craves. Since you're using such a low mg of nic, that might be what has you chain vaping and then getting the nic headache.

Just a thought.

Welcome to VT! :)

Could the headaches actually be withdrawal from nicotine. 6 mg is pretty low although from your description it seems Carlton are pretty low nicotine cigarettes. Perhaps you could buy a bottle of zero and 6 to mix together and make 3. Then you could vape pretty much non stop if you wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...