GPLAT i$ it worth it?

BigClouds1021

So this new kind of wire, gplat, has hit the ecig market and everyone is talking about it. It is a mixture of kanthal a-1 wire and niccrome wire, the two most commonly used wire for coil building, and is supposed to have the positive traits of both. The real question is, is it worth the hype and cost? I purchased a few yards of this stuff in 26g and 24g to give it a shot. I have spent the last couple of days trying different builds in some of my favorite RDAs and RBAs, and here is my opinion. Gplat wire is definitely a superior wire in almost all areas. It has a quicker hear up and cool down time, it does seem to produce more vapor with a higher degree of flavor. It also has a much lower electrical resistance. So much so, that while using the 24g in my TOBH atty, I had to use a 11/12 wrap dual coil to reach about .25 ohms. Which is very low, and I would only use such a low resistance coil with my MNKE 26650 50amp batteries. This could be a pro for sub-ohm vapors and a con for vapors who like to stay in the 1ohm + range. So is it worth it, IMHO, not really. While it may be superior to kanthal, it is also about 5x the price. Don't get me wrong, I will keep some around to use in my favorite atties, but not for day to day builds and experimentation. So I hope this helps my fellow VT members( especially since this is my first real review). Let me know what y'all think. Remember that this is my opinion and like all things vapor it is subjective. Stay safe and vape on my friends.

Gotta say I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. I had heard about it a while back but never really branched out from kanthal. I saw rip trippers review of it and was reminded about it so I decided to look for it. I couldn't find any place that had the red version. The one for cloud chasing I think is the red so I got a pack of the elite (blue) in 24g. It's certainly softer and for that reason easy to build with. No torch necessary. It does have crazy low resistance I did my first build and it came out to like .22 or something which is lower than I build usually. I try to keep it in the .3 to .4 range because I like a decent cloud but prefer taste and not so much warmth. I guess it does heat up a little bit faster but I really didn't notice a huge difference in flavor. Only that it kept that good flavor longer than a kanthal coil does if that makes sense. It stays cleaner I suppose and I'm even quick to dry burn and clean my coils when I change cotton wicks which is pretty much daily. I'm glad I tried it and will use it when I want some really low sub ohm macro coils but I don't think I'll ever buy it again. It's great but it's just not worth the money when you can get kanthal so cheap and it works good.

There is a guy on FB named Yosh Yosh who has been using and selling GPlat for quite some time. He specifically states that GPlat is not meant to be used for day-to-day rebuilds.

They will be selling the 20g GPlat Haywire online in about 2 weeks.

No you wouldn't want to do rebuilds often and it wouldn't be necessary. I don't even build kanthal daily I'll do it maybe once a week and that's just because I get bored sometimes. GPlat coils would probably last 3 times longer or more but at the price of $20+ for I think 15-20 feet you can get 250 foot of kanthal from kidneypuncher.com so I still can't say it's worth the cost. At $10 for 20 feet I'd probably use it over kanthal in a heartbeat because it looks and builds great. Cleans up nice and does give good flavor. It's just really expensive and hard to build anything but super sub ohm coils with which means you use even more wire than normal. It's good stuff though I'm glad I tried it out. At the current price I just can't see myself ordering more.

http://www.vaporkings.com/GPlat-coil-wire-by-Vapinology-p/gplat-wires.htm

Is where I picked up my elite 24g. They use a company description saying you can make a coil last a month. I think that's perfectly true. I can't deny it won't last a lot longer and is superior to kanthal in every way but price. I'll definitely be using some for a dual macro setup when my zenith v2 gets here in a few days. Just not sure it's worth over a $1 a foot.

I just realized I've been saying I got 24g this whole time. I got 26g. I don't even want to know how low the resistance would be had I got 24g. I did dual macro coils with a 5/6 wrap I think and got .20 or .22 It was fairly low and a lot lower than I expected. It doesn't heat up crazy hot though I handled it fine. It would be better to try with the new all VG 3mg dripper specific juice I got in today. I'll try it some more with the zenith v2 and lower juice I'm sure it will be better.

Edited by SteezeOG

Yeah I can't go with out rewicking daily. I dry burn all my coils and clean off the gunk and sweetener that has collected on the coil then I rewick. I just can't settle on one juice more than a day with my drippers. In my tanks I can pretty much use the same flavor for a week. I don't usually run a coil to the end of it's life unless it's just a really great build but with this gplat wire I know I'll let them go at least a month before I have to worry about changing it. They burn really clean and get new and shiny when you dry burn and clean them before rewicking. It's great stuff I just wish it was about 50 cents a foot and I could justify using it more. I've got a great build right now on my IGO W with 28g macro coils and kanthal. That will stay there for a while and just keep getting rewicked. What I'd really love is to find a gold mephisto rda and do a parallel 26g macro with the gplat but it would probably come out to .15 ohms or lower and that's not for me.

So what I got out of this is... It cost twice as much and you have to use twice as much for a NOT super sub ohm build?... Sounds like a bad investment to me... Lol

Definitely not twice as much but if you don't like going really low you need to use more wraps than you do with the equivalent of kanthal. Which can make it harder to conserve if that's your goal. I'd say just gauge up. If you use 24g normally use the 26g in gplat. I just wasn't expecting what I got on the ohm meter with the first build I did. If you're confident with your coil building and you like to just dry burn and rewick and use your coils for a long time then gplat could be a good investment I think. It's just not kanthal cheap and I knew that going into it. If you're someone who loves kanthal and thinks you already get good flavor then gplat is probably not worth trying. That's my opinion.

You need to use the pulse method for dry burning the GPlat. It is much softer, and will collapse if heated red hot for too long.

Here is some info Yosh Yosh gave me...

"Gplat is a resistance wire that has a lower ohms per foot that standard kanthal because it's more efficient, it's easier on your battery, it heats up faster, cools down faster, and has a different flavor than kanthal. It's more focused and much sharper. All around better flavor. the Elite series is everything standard Gplat is but just amped up. even lower ohms, softer wire, and flavor is outstanding. Cons? It has a lower melting temp than kanthal so you can't dry burn it for 5 seconds straight (i dont know why you would want to) or your coil will collapse. It's also more expensive. ....but it's f$*#!@ AmazeBalls

The manufacturer of the wire will not disclose what the composition of it is. It's all up in the air but what they will tell me is its a 100% lead free safe to vape alloy made by vapers for vaping specifically. It's not an industrial resistance wire like kanthal is."

Yeah I wasn't talking about a long dry burn or anything. Even kanthal only needs a second or two to burn off the gunk. I don't find the gplat heats up quicker I actually think it heats up a little slower but it does cool quicker. Maybe the initial heat up is quicker but the lower builds I think is what makes it able to hit good with quicker pulses. I just did a build with some this morning on my brass monkey to see if a few more wraps and better wicking would help with performance.

8 wraps dual macros on a 3mm screwdriver.

2a66wkl.jpg