Spicy Vape

So I'm gonna try and explain this the best I can.

If anyone has ever had tobacco in their mouth they know what I'm talking about. I mean raw un-smoked tobacco. It leaves a really spicy sensation in your mouth. Kinda like black pepper without the black pepper taste.

So I'm getting this sensation when I'm vaping. Not all the time. Almost exclusively in my Nautilus tank (but to be fair that's the tank I use most of the time). And I'm noticing it after I've been vaping on that tank for a while. I'm talking days. With that huge 5ml tank and my reduced vaping tendencies while I'm offshore, a full Nautilus tank could last damn near the whole two weeks I'm out here. What I decided to do was to just add a ml or so at a time. So if I need to change something, the juice or the coil, I'm not sacrificing too much liquid.

I did an experiment this morning. I had about .5ml of Fadora strawberry left in my Nautilus. Spicy as hell. I dumped the juice, cleaned the tank, rinsed the coil and then dry burned it. Re-assembled the whole thing and added fresh strawberry (1ml) and the same old coil that had just been rinsed and dry burned.

Problem solved. So my guess is that I was having this problem because I was filling my Nautilus tank with at least 4ml of juice if not closer to 5ml. The juice was sitting in a tank that has a coil in the center of it that was constantly getting hot then cool, hot then cool. So something, some kind of chemical process had occured that changed the makeup of the liquid giving it that spicy taste.

IDK, I'm not a chemist. This is just my guess. Whatever the answer, my tank maintenance this morning seems to have solved the problem. I wonder how long it will last? I'm guessing that the age of the coil and how much life it has in it (also what settings I have my VV/VW device set on) has something to do with it too.

Any thoughts on this phenemenon?

Anyone else having this happen to them?

Has anyone had this experience usin a tank other than the Nautilus?

You just answered your own question, I think. :)

When the juice gets old(er) it changes color and something happens to it with the constant heating from the coil (I'm no chemist or scientist, either). I get the same sensation, which tells me to clean the tank, change for fresh juice, all the same things you did but without the dry burning. In my experience it doesn't matter what tank, it's all the same with this kind of thing happening.

I've noticed the same thing in my larger tanks, especially when I vape them halfway and re-fill several times. Like Tam said, the liquid gets noticeably darker and you get that "spicy" flavor to it. At first it's a pretty good taste, but after a few more re-fills, it requires dumping and cleaning. I don't clean the coil, just the tank, and the taste is gone. I'm sure the constant heating IS changing the flavors.

Now, when I vape a tank down to as low as possible, then re-fill... I don't get that issue/taste.

Excellent. From the information you guys provided the answer seems to be that the issue is caused by "old" juice (i.e. juice that sits in a tank that gets moderate to heavy use). so the answer would seem to be to only fill 1ml at a time or......put as much in as you want but be prepared to either have to deal with that taste or dump "spicy" juice when the spiciness becomes intolerable.

@Fish....i'm pretty OCD about juice in the shaft (that sounded bad). If I detect any I pull my shaft out and blow from the coil side (there was really no way to make that sound better without spending entirely too much time editing and re-writing). I keep Q-Tips hany EVERYWHERE. I have two boxes out here and three boxes at my house. Jerry no likey the juice in shaft issue.

@Tam......I just noticed you adjusted your avitar. Looks like the poor little fella was messin with that hairspray again.

Yeap same answer as they had clean the tank. I have had juice get really dark in my tank and it seems to come from the residue in the wick. That tells me it's time to change the coil, or with a rebuild rewick it. I have not had the spicy taste before, but Ma has... I'm thinking this may be what she is having trouble with. To me it was more of a burnt taste. Not like you get sometimes when the juice is burning more like someone added charcoal to my tank. Now when I see that dark color change, it's tank flush time.

@Tam......I just noticed you adjusted your avitar. Looks like the poor little fella was messin with that hairspray again.

Changed it a few days ago. It's an evil purple minion from Despicable Me 2. Sometimes they come in when you're not looking and put a little something icky in your tank. This is what makes the juice taste bad. :)

Edited by Tameiki

Now I'm not sure what is going on. I'm getting this problem with a clean tank and fresh coil. Not too happy about it. Because if its not the tank or the coils it has to be the liquid, right? Unless I have a bunch of bad coils.

You are the first to have this issue. The exception of one other with one flavor of mine, that said it had a pepper taste and some from MB had the same pepper taste. It was a temporary condition after some medical issues. Besides that I'm stump, I would be upset too.

Now I'm not sure what is going on. I'm getting this problem with a clean tank and fresh coil. Not too happy about it. Because if its not the tank or the coils it has to be the liquid, right? Unless I have a bunch of bad coils.

A bad coil or two, possibly, but I wouldn't think that you would have a whole batch causing the issue. Something is up with the juice itself, if cleaning the tank and a fresh coil yields the exact same result... the juice is the only constant in the mix.

I have asked him in a PM to send it back COD so I can test it and see what is going on. I mix every bottle by hand. The only thing in common with the juice is the nic. I also had other peoples orders I did at the same time, same flavoring, same Nic without this being an issue. I'm not above refunding his money even if it tests fine to me. I have also asked his to let me know exactly what he has for equipment so I can test it on the same thing he is using.

A bad coil or two, possibly, but I wouldn't think that you would have a whole batch causing the issue. Something is up with the juice itself, if cleaning the tank and a fresh coil yields the exact same result... the juice is the only constant in the mix.

The other constant is me. Perhaps I am having some kind of reaction to an ingredient that is common in all of the juices.

Yes when you mentioned the juice you having trouble with I looked at your order and the other thing in common was added sweetener. With what you told me in the PM it may be a reaction to that. So I will be sending you some testers without any added sweetener and see if you have the same issue.

Like you said I wish you had other juice to compare it with. All the flavors you ordered were with added sweetener except one, and that has it added with the recipe.

I had this issue in my aero tank when I would fill it up almost to the top but only in the mornings. I had to puff on it a few times without inhaling until that spicy taste would slowly go away. My guess was that the liquid had to reach a certain temperature so it being full was cooling it & not letting burn right. This was also with an ego twist battery. I'm using the same juice in my kayfun & never get that issue.