Question for copper mod owners

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting a new mech and I would like to get a copper one. However, I know that copper is a softer metal than stainless and brass. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the durability. I would be taking this mod with me on the go and I want something that will hold up. So if copper isn't for me, just let me know! Thanks!

I dont know about copper mods, but I do know from building other props out of copper that its a lot tougher than people give it credit for. So it should be fine for the body. If your worried use stainless.

Remember that copper is a dirty metal. So handling the copper can get nasty looking. Also, I dont personally trust the copper tanks. But thats just because its a dirty metal.

Hope it helps

I have a copper MOD that I payed a lot for. I Love it. How durable is it? It will scratch easy and yes it will tarnish fast. It doesn't make my hand black or green. LOL Being a "soft" metal it can show ware much faster than stainless. As far as performance it is better than stainless. I guess if it were me I would weigh the use it is intended for. If there is a risk it could be damaged beyond repair, lost, stolen, I would not want my copper MOD, I would grab my stainless Magneto.

Thanks guys, I don't mind the patina and showing a little wear. In my opinion a little wear on it shows how much one enjoys the mech! My main concern was more so the threading being damaged. In this case I suppose it would be more on the user, myself, to pay attention and make sure not to mis-thread the switch and top cap. The one in particular that I am looking at in the Vanilla in copper. I do have a brass Magneto that I will use for my more "rugged" outings, however I haven't been happy with its performance. So I am thinking the copper Vanilla may be just what I am looking for. Thanks for the input!

You know my take on this, Ry. Let that patina grow. The more the better. Shows the personality. But hey, I am a big carbon/tool steel guy in general for knives, firearms and etc. I love patina.

As for the threads, like I mentioned, for oxidation all steels will form this. I learned from a chemist, in my knife making trials, that even stainless forms a layer of oxidation but its clear. If need be I can get you the exact chemical composition of these types of oxidation for you to research further.

For threads you can use the Nyogel 760. I learned about this in my days with high end flashlights and mods. Surefire Flashlight company uses both 760 and 779 exclusively for their flashlight threads, electrical contacts and O-rings.

Here is a quote from Nyogel specifically interesting to copper...

760G is "[a] silica thickened, medium viscosity, synthetic hydrocarbon grease for lubrication and protection of electrical contacts [containing a copper deactivator which inhibits copper oxidation, and a UV tracer to allow for leak detection and pressure testing]. Benefits include good water resistance." - Nye Lubricants

Cross threading should not be an issue since you are not careless. You should be able to differentiate ends.

You will copper mod.

Funny I should see this thread. I just ordered the copper Viggo. I did a lot of research on various copper mods....I almost bit the bullet and bought the Lancelot mod as well as the Akura mod, but in the end I think I ended up with the right choice. I will not polish mine, nor do I care if it gets nicked or dinged. I buy things to use and not for sitting pretty on the table. This goes for all my toys. I buy nothing for collections.

Pulled the trigger on a copper Vanilla and a new Kayfun Lite. Running a 2 ohm micro build in the Kayfun and the battery life out of this set up is awesome. Its been going strong all day and its still kickin. I had Kevin post the pic since I still haven't figured out to do it. He can be my "Vape Secretary". This is definitely going to be my go to set up for now. Great mech for a great price, and the Kayfun Lite is well worth the purchase. Better than the Kayfun 3.1 in my opinion, you just have to get used to the air flow being set as it is which for me in a tank is plenty.

Next thing I will try is a chimney micro coil build in this. I want to see how the heat affects the flavor and draw.