New to building, Need tips.

Olazuma

research, research, research..... always use an ohm meter, learn the ohms law, use batteries that can handle your particular build, and be safe. Other then that your best tips will come from watching youtube videos, so you can see how to build a coil step by step. I could explain it all here, but you can really only explain so much before it becomes more confusing then it really is.

I'd suggest an ohm meter, and if you want to build say a 1.5 ohm dual coil setup, it will take 2 three ohm coils. So aim for 3 ohms and build your first coil, see what it reads on the ohm meter and once you have it right, make a twin for it. So say 10 wraps comes out to be 3.0 ohms, then make an identical 10 wrap coil, test it and make sure it's reading the same ohm load, and wire that dude up.

For wicks, I much prefer organic cotton balls. I pull off a section, and then place it between my hands like I'm warming them up so it twists it up. Then I take a scrap of wire and bend it in half, hook my twist of cotton in the middle and pull it through the coils which gives me a double wick, then I cut the ends off about 1/16 inch or so from the coil. The Majority of my cotton is inside the coil and its pressing nicely against the wire which is what I like.

I then super-soak the cotton with juice, it's gotta be completely soaked or it will go "poof"

With a nice setup like you've got you really can't go wrong as long as you use an ohm meter. Start out shooting for about 1.6 to 1.8 ohms and go from there. I think 1.5 is a nice number since you can aim for 3 ohms for your first coil. If it's 2.2 when you put it on the ohm meter, wrap a couple more coils and it will increase. If the ohms are high, just unwrap a coil or two and test again.

Either a nice workbench with a vise or some vise grips or c clamps on a drill bit, or a girlfriend with a firm grip to hold something while you twist the first few comes in really handy IMO.

Edited by charliestheman

These guys are right.
-Ohm/resistance meter
-Sony VTC 4 (or other batteries that are capable of handling the amp draw from your builds.)
-Ohms law calculator (Available for use here)

Once you have all those things, just have fun! :)
I use peaches and cream organic cotton yarn from Walmart. Alot of people just use organic cotton balls, but I like the whole yarn thing.

More of a suggestion than a tip, but I LOVE twisted 28g microcoils. I built this for my 2nd build. If you are looking for ridiculous flavor, give this thing a shot after you have gotten the hang of wrapping coils. :) (Here)

Thanks a lot guys!! I just bought an ohm meter today. I have about 3 ft of some 24 ga kanthal wire, is that a good wire to start building with or should i go pick up something else? I want to get a good sized cloud but still be able to have good flavor too. I truly appreciate all the help so far.

It's good to have a few different gauges, IMO. You can use certain ones for certain builds. I made the mistake of buying 100ft of 28g at first. JUST 28g.. But that led me to the twisted coils LOL. Finding the right coil for you will just take time and experimenting. You will go through a few at first. But you'll figure it out.

JUST to make sure... You have a battery capable of handling this, right?

It's good to have a few different gauges, IMO. You can use certain ones for certain builds. I made the mistake of buying 100ft of 28g at first. JUST 28g.. But that led me to the twisted coils LOL. Finding the right coil for you will just take time and experimenting. You will go through a few at first. But you'll figure it out.

JUST to make sure... You have a battery capable of handling this, right?

Yeah man I have the big green battery with the barcode. I think it's a Sony or something?

Yeah man I have the big green battery with the barcode. I think it's a Sony or something?

I feel like I need to say this.... and keep in mind we want to hear any questions you have! If you can only refer to the equipment/batts you have as green... Sony or something, you need to slow down for a sec. It sounds like you are on a good path so far, but it only takes one wrong step in this path to lead to bad things. I only say this to make sure you will be safe!

It's a good lesson in life to DO RESEARCH in any scenario, especially one that could seriously injure you. Research! Watch videos, search google, ask questions, THEN BUY!

Edited by mvince201

I feel like I need to say this.... and keep in mind we want to hear any questions you have! If you can only refer to the equipment/batts you have as green... Sony or something, you need to slow down for a sec. It sounds like you are on a good path so far, but it only takes one wrong step in this path to lead to bad things. I only say this to make sure you will be safe!

I have a couple different ones, The Sony's label came off. I've been vaping for a while, just trying to get more involved in my own vaping experience

You'll want to make sure you're using authentic batteries. There are some fake Sony VTC4's out there that are not 30a rated and can become unstable and vent in your mod, effectively rendering it a hand grenade.

Well that doesn't sound like fun... I''l go pick up a couple this week.