Vapor Shop Revenues

Hey All,

I'm putting together a business plan to secure financing for opening a vapor shop in the North East and I was hoping some of you experienced shop owners wouldn't mind offering some information to guide me through the process. At this point, I'm working on a 12 month pro forma and I have very little conrete information on average gross margins, total sales volumes, licensing expenses, insurance costs etc. If anyone is willing to help me on this, I'd be forever indebted.

Thanks much,

Jay

Hate to rain on your parade.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ There is no way anyone can give you this info without having a store in that area. Location, Location, Location is the key and having the inventory to support it. Either way it is a crap shoot. You could have the best plan around and still fail, most (95%) fail within the first year. If it were me looking at opening a B&M, I would think twice and watch the FDA because they want to put all but big tobacco out of business. Good Luck.

That's what salties do right? Just sit there and look pretty...Meanwhile over in freshieland.. We be having a party....making babies is what we do...and what does that spell.....FREE CASH!!! So go recheck your chems, cuz I just have to sniff...and after switching I can smell a bad tank in ten feet!! Lol Ha Ha Hugs Salty..

Before I launch into my diatribe about how much disdain I hold for arrogant, self-righteous tools, I'll just let you know your comments are completely unwarranted and it's because of people like you that I sleep peacefully at night knowing I'm not nearly as much of a ****** as you...

The purpose of the question I posed was to help understand more about the experiences that other people have had opening up B&M locations focused on vaping and the evolving demands of the consumer base. I never asked anyone to tell how much they expect I could/will need to open a shop, my revenue expecations, or anything specific to my plans. It was merely an inquisition into the experiences of others and what they've learned.

Compenstine - While I have been fortunate enough to have never picked up the nasty habit of smoking, I see the benefits of vaping first hand and have been researching the industry for the last 6 months or so. I'm not a user but I know enough to carry on a conversation with the experienced vaper. I do have more experience in traditional e-cigs given my background in tobacco distribution and the changes within that marketplace. I've been closely monitoring legislation at both the Federal, state and local levels and have recently seen some small victories at each level which has given me hope to move forward with my vision. While I agree the Feds are doing their damndest to put big tobacco down, this isn't Big Tobacco. Yes, Altria, Lorillard, and RJR all have e-cig divisions, but those are separate entities and have little association with their parent corporation aside from utilization of their economies of scale in their sales and marketing departments.

AquaTroy - Your arrogance and unnecessary comments really serve no purpose in a place like this. In my experience, a forum is a place to discuss concepts, share ideas, and collaborate to ahieve common goals. Never in my experience has a forum been a place to bash, belittle, and discourage people with legitimate ideas. Maybe your attitude has something to do with why you ONLY WORK at a Vape Shop instead of owning your own. Thanks for the suggestion about attending a community college, but I think I'll take my higher education elsewhere. Also - I have a very strong understanding of what makes a successful retail shop, and your bold assumption that I was fishing for people to do that work for me is insulting and truly distasteful. I wish you luck in bettering yourself and your career opportunities.

Might you please answer my question to you on your vapeing experience kind sir? I don't give a rats *** how many degrees someone has, nor the income they make from the DAY job. I care what you can offer a first time customer that asks what an ecig is about! If you plan on trying to relate to them with a spread sheet or hireing someone that's "exprerienced" in vapeing to deal with it, you will fail! To that end, you will NOT come into OUR sand box and tell US what we need to do the HELP you! You will have to find someone else to prey on......................................... Bu Bye!

Edited by fishguy1123

Um sir. I gave you my opinion take it or leave it.

I'm not the one coming to Message board asking people, for which the majority do not own a B&M, to do my research for me. Your response about the FDA shows me you have done little research into who funds the FDA and what the motives of the FDA are.

I personally could care less if you smoked or not and I did not even ask if you had.

Again Good Luck to you Sir.

Excuse me?!

It has be made quite obvious your higher education has failed you miserably, referring to your calling the gentlemen in question "tools".

Its also quite obvious you have no apparent research skills, no social skills especially in how to behave in a public forum, obviously socially inept and rude... especially when seeking assistance and information.

You would would never survive opening a Vape shop, dealing w a myriad of personalities.

NEXT!

My Post:

Hate to rain on your parade.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ There is no way anyone can give you this info without having a store in that area. Location, Location, Location is the key and having the inventory to support it. Either way it is a crap shoot. You could have the best plan around and still fail, most (95%) fail within the first year. If it were me looking at opening a B&M, I would think twice and watch the FDA because they want to put all but big tobacco out of business. Good Luck.

Your Response:

Before I launch into my diatribe about how much disdain I hold for arrogant, self-righteous tools, I'll just let you know your comments are completely unwarranted and it's because of people like you that I sleep peacefully at night knowing I'm not nearly as much of a ****** as you...

Compenstine - While I have been fortunate enough to have never picked up the nasty habit of smoking, I see the benefits of vaping first hand and have been researching the industry for the last 6 months or so. I'm not a user but I know enough to carry on a conversation with the experienced vaper. I do have more experience in traditional e-cigs given my background in tobacco distribution and the changes within that marketplace. I've been closely monitoring legislation at both the Federal, state and local levels and have recently seen some small victories at each level which has given me hope to move forward with my vision. While I agree the Feds are doing their damndest to put big tobacco down, this isn't Big Tobacco. Yes, Altria, Lorillard, and RJR all have e-cig divisions, but those are separate entities and have little association with their parent corporation aside from utilization of their economies of scale in their sales and marketing departments.

Further more, Nothing in my post was rude or, us you put it, being a "Tool" or unwarranted. You sir gave a very unwarranted repose to what advice I was willing to offer. Now as for answering you any further, No, do your own damn research Sir. Last piece of advice, I would also agree that if this is an example of your customer service and communication skills, you are doomed to fail. Good Luck.

Might you please answer my question to you on your vapeing experience kind sir? I don't give a rats *** how many degrees someone has, nor the income they make from the DAY job. I care what you can offer a first time customer that asks what an ecig is about! If you plan on trying to relate to them with a spread sheet or hireing someone that's "exprerienced" in vapeing to deal with it, you will fail! To that end, you will NOT come into OUR sand box and tell US what we need to do the HELP you! You will have to find someone else to prey on......................................... Bu Bye!

Are you referring to the mechanics of a vaporizer/e-cig or to what my experience physically using the devices is? I fully understand the operation and use of a vaporizer and could clearly communicate it to a new user or someone seeking to learn more. On the flip side, since I have never needed to use one, I have less experience in that realm, although I'm not incompentent as I sample every device I've come across. Part of gaining knowledge and experience is looking for information from other, more experienced people, which is what I was hoping to do by joining this forum. Unfortunately, I seem to have upset some people and have thus rendered this site useless to me now that all I get for responses are condescending rhetoric. My intent was not to "prey" on anyone, but to merely gain knowledge from people I would assume to be more experienced and willing to help those who have legitimate questions. I guess my assumption was wrong and I'll stick to asking people who are openminded to helping those looking to gain insight. Sorry to have pissed in your sandbox.

More uneducated B.S. you are a poor candidate for owning any public oriented business, thin skinned beligerant organisms such as yourself belong locked in a closet somewhere.

Your rude, juvenile remarks proved your not worthy of this forum.

Nor those who took the time to answer.

Um sir. I gave you my opinion take it or leave it.

I'm not the one coming to Message board asking people, for which the majority do not own a B&M, to do my research for me. Your response about the FDA shows me you have done little research into who funds the FDA and what the motives of the FDA are.

I personally could care less if you smoked or not and I did not even ask if you had.

Again Good Luck to you Sir.

Compenstine, I do appreciate your initial response to my question. My apologies for lumping you into my rant - the statement on my use of cigs was intended for Aqua, not you.

I wasn't expecting everyone to have usable information based on experience, but I figured a Vapor Forum would be a great place to look for a group of shop owners whose brains I could pick to gain insight. I'm not looking for anyone to do my job for me, or to give me all the answers I'm looking for. I'm just looking for people to share knowledge so we can work together to grow this industry. As an aside though, I will refute your accusation on my knowledge of the FDA and it's funding sources and motives. My background in tobacco, grocery and pharmaceutical distribution allow me to have very intimate ties with the FDA and the processes they use.

If you had done your research on the topic of the FDA then you would know that 99.9% of the business owners in this industry would not agree with you. So therefore you need to do further research to find out why I would say that. I'm not the only one that holds this opinion and there is much on the subject right here. If you want to argue your point any further, I suggest you argue with CASAA as they hold the option as myself and many other E-Cig shop owners around the country.