Vaping in public places in the state of NY

tea2085

Just went to my local bar and was told that vaping was forbidden because New York State passed a law that vaping in public places is now forbidden. I did a search and saw that the law is true in NYC but did not anything about the same ban for the state of NY. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks- Paul

Edited by tea2085

From what I understand from the bans is that there is a law that bans use of ecigarettes indoors not because of their public safety concerns but because, and I quote, "of confusion and confrontation" issues due to some ecigarettes looking like cigarettes. Regardless of the ban or not, it all comes down to property rights as well. Smoking is banned indoors but if the person owns the property, they can choose whether or not they will allow smoking inside. It's the same situation for ecigarettes. There have been some bars I've gone to with my ecig and they love it, think it's really cool. There have been others where they think it's distracting and horrible and refuse to let me vape inside. Even though it's legal here to vape inside I still run into issues with people who don't want it inside. I don't quite understand their logic but it is their property rights.

I live in Upstate NY and have used my ecig in many places without an issue. I sure hope it's not banned but it's probably exactly what Laura says- if the person who owns the property doesn't want you smoking your ecig they can ban it on their property.

I hear ya. It's not good when people start making laws against something that has changed and saved so many lives. The FDA is jumping on it, and now that the FDA is jumping on it, other states are following. It's going to get ugly before things get better. I have faith in the vaping community to keep it going, though, and to educate others on the benefits it has provided.

This is why I just ask. If I am going to be indoors for an extended period of time, I ask the owners/employees if it's ok. I would rather just ask than vape away and cause a problem. If they say no, then walk outside. No big deal. I don't see the issue. You used to do the same with analogs. Just step out, take a few puffs and go back inside. :)

It's respect for others in general. I support vapeing, it's done wonders for me. Human nature says we fear what we don't know. Sometimes by not forceing it on ppl we gain respect and curiosity. That's what helps us spread the word with the average person that just might want to switch.

• 5 weeks later...

Although vaping is harmless to others around you I can understand why some business owners wouldn't want you to vape inside their business, for one the cloud is still existent and blowing a huge cloud can be annoying to someone who doesn't vape or smoke.