Just checking in!

Haven't been on here in a while.

I am now over a MONTH analog free.

Hubby just drilled out the holes in my tanks.

Now we are thinking about rebuildables.

Does one need to drip to do rebuildables? Or can you do them on tanks too?

What are the basics?

Pros/cons?

Best/worst materials?

You can rebuild the coil heads in your tanks. It takes a little practice but can be done. Basics: remember how you take the head apart. It will aid you in putting it back together. Make sure your coil is not sub ohm. It will give you grief. Use an ohm meter if you don't have one, get one. I would not try to rebuild anything without one. And lastly make sure your coil is not touching the head it will read a short on your ohm meter so use it first then screw your tank on it.

Pros: it will save you quite a bit of money due to the prices the local BnMs charge for coils. If you use cotton for your wicks it will enhance the flavor of your juice IMO.

Cons: it will cost a little money to start doing it but save you money in the long run. And make sure you have 4 or 5 complete coil heads laying around because the rubber grommet is very rippable. You'll see.

Other than that vape happy and have fun.

Rip trippers will show you how to do this on youtube l.

Haven't been on here in a while.

I am now over a MONTH analog free.

Hubby just drilled out the holes in my tanks.

Now we are thinking about rebuildables.

Does one need to drip to do rebuildables? Or can you do them on tanks too?

What are the basics?

Pros/cons?

Best/worst materials?

if your gonna start using rebuildables you might wanna get an OHM meter. secondly the type of wire your gonna wanna use for your coils should range anywhere from 26 - 32 gauge (I prefer 28 gauge wire or KANTHAL as the pros would say.) Pros to using an RDA compared to a normal tank

Pro 1: Personally I find myself using less juice then filling up my protank 2 on a day to day basis.

Pro 2: you learn how coils work, airflow and overall achieve and better understanding of how vaping works.

Pro 3: I dont have a pro 3.. theres gotta be a trio though!

I have no cons. Im happy with both types of tanks.

Edited by BirdDog

Haven't been on here in a while. I am now over a MONTH analog free. Hubby just drilled out the holes in my tanks. Now we are thinking about rebuildables. Does one need to drip to do rebuildables? Or can you do them on tanks too? What are the basics? Pros/cons? Best/worst materials?
Rebuildable atomizers are not as difficult and scary as they were a year ago. You don't need to drip, but it can be fun every once in a while. A basic setup can be had for around $150 (mod, tank, batteries, charger, ohm meter, wick and wire). However, if you go that route, you will spend $200 more over the course of three months in order to find out that you'd have been better off if you had droppped an extra bill to start. My suggestion would be to get a couple of good mechanical mods (Hcigar, Tobeco, and EHpro make great replicas for around $40 a pop), a simple RDA (Trident, Helios, or Patriot clone...all can be run in single to multiple coil setups and cost under $20 each), and a Kayfun Lite Plus. Of course, a clone may be $30 cheaper than the real thing, but it sounds like the Kayfun is the device that you'll use most often, so I'd sink your money there. I can also assure you from personal experience that the KFL+ clones are more than $30 worth of trouble to get working properly. You will also need batteries and a charger. I recommend Sony 18650VTC4 batteries, and a Nitecore Intellicharge I2. The batteries will cost $9 each and the charger around $20. An Ohm meter is REQUIRED!!! DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS!!! A good one can be found pretty much anywhere for under $20. 50 feet of 28gauge Kanthal will run around $7, and a bag of organic cotton balls will cost $2. You probably will not find everything you need in one-stop shopping. I recommend checking out the following vendors as you can knock out a good chunk of what you need at any one of them: 101vape, 88evape, LnH, Venerable Vaping, and Eciggity.com Good luck! Edited by CascadianExotics

Hubby is a tech geek--- I'm sure there's an Ohm meter SOMEWHERE in his TWO CLOSETS or SHED full of tools and various supplies! We have a great relationship with a local shop, (they actually sponsor our website), and will be doing 99.99999% of our shopping there. (Very big into keeping our $ local). Thanks for all the tips! I think once hubby gets his setup done, he can teach me at home. He has a magnito (spelling?) and is working on getting a RBA setup now.

Rebuildable atomizers are not as difficult and scary as they were a year ago. You don't need to drip, but it can be fun every once in a while. A basic setup can be had for around $150 (mod, tank, batteries, charger, ohm meter, wick and wire). However, if you go that route, you will spend $200 more over the course of three months in order to find out that you'd have been better off if you had droppped an extra bill to start. My suggestion would be to get a couple of good mechanical mods (Hcigar, Tobeco, and EHpro make great replicas for around $40 a pop), a simple RDA (Trident, Helios, or Patriot clone...all can be run in single to multiple coil setups and cost under $20 each), and a Kayfun Lite Plus. Of course, a clone may be $30 cheaper than the real thing, but it sounds like the Kayfun is the device that you'll use most often, so I'd sink your money there. I can also assure you from personal experience that the KFL+ clones are more than $30 worth of trouble to get working properly. You will also need batteries and a charger. I recommend Sony 18650VTC4 batteries, and a Nitecore Intellicharge I2. The batteries will cost $9 each and the charger around $20. An Ohm meter is REQUIRED!!! DO NOT SKIMP ON THIS!!! A good one can be found pretty much anywhere for under $20. 50 feet of 28gauge Kanthal will run around $7, and a bag of organic cotton balls will cost $2. You probably will not find everything you need in one-stop shopping. I recommend checking out the following vendors as you can knock out a good chunk of what you need at any one of them: 101vape, 88evape, LnH, Venerable Vaping, and Eciggity.com Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I give you huge props for your attention to the safety side of things. I'm personaly not ready to build coils or use mechs etc.. But I've learned enough to recognize someone that cares about good recomendations and the safety that goes with it. :yes

Hubby is a tech geek--- I'm sure there's an Ohm meter SOMEWHERE in his TWO CLOSETS or SHED full of tools and various supplies! We have a great relationship with a local shop, (they actually sponsor our website), and will be doing 99.99999% of our shopping there. (Very big into keeping our $ local). Thanks for all the tips! I think once hubby gets his setup done, he can teach me at home. He has a magnito (spelling?) and is working on getting a RBA setup now.

Wait.... ur married to tim the tool man taylor!? lol Good luck to you in the next step in vapeing for you.

Thanks for the tips!  I give you huge props for your attention to the safety side of things.  I'm personaly not ready to build coils or use mechs etc..  But I've learned enough to recognize someone that cares about good recomendations and the safety that goes with it.  :yes

No worries. Like I said in the first part of the post, rebuildables have changed a LOT in the span of a year. When I first got into rebuildables, we were using mesh wicks, and IMR chemistry batteries so safety was absolute paramount!!! Not only that, but mech mods were friggin' outrageously priced. A cheap Sigelei POS would cost over $50...my Sigelei #8a cost me more than a Vamo at the time...so, if you fried your $120 EHpro mod (which was still cheaper than an authentic mech), that was that. So, safety has been permanently drilled into my head from pushing the limits of what a cheap mech and Efest can do with a RSST and Igo-L.

Nowadays, anyone can use a mech even if you aren't rebuilding anything. You just drop in a Kick (which are now way cheaper and more available than they were last year), and vape hard. Even beginners are getting into the world of RBAs and RDAs due to the advent of using cotton wicks, cheaper (and more reliable) mod fuses, and the plethora of tutorials out there. Mechs have gotten cheaper too. These days, $50 is steep for a stainless steel EHpro clone.

Honestly, rebuildables are the way to go. It's cheaper and easier than buying cartos and filling DCTs. And you get the satisfaction of being able to custom tailor your vape without relying on the limits of PCB-laden regulated devices.

Cas- as a noob, your input and background is what helps us learn safely what we can look forward to. I've done alot of reading and video watching and feel like I have an understanding of it, just not to the point where I'm ready to do it. But for anyone reading about it, it's good to see you are focused on safety and pointing ppl in a responsible direction.

Cas-  as a noob, your input and background is what helps us learn safely what we can look forward to.  I've done alot of reading and video watching and feel like I have an understanding of it, just not to the point where I'm ready to do it.  But for anyone reading about it, it's good to see you are focused on safety and pointing ppl in a responsible direction. 

Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to push anyone who isn't ready for whatever reason into something for the sake of making another convert. Though, if I may make a suggestion, you might want to go to your local vape shops or get on the good ol' Facebook to see if there are any groups local to your area that hold vape meets. There, you can meet up with people and get some personal attention to help you better prepare before you decide to take the plunge.

My friend that got me into vaping didn't finally kick analogs until I got him into rebuildables...which was a pain in the arse to do as he was always so cynical of the notion right up until the day he tried one of my builds. Next thing I know, homeboy was blowing up my phone with an infinite number of questions...which I tried my best to answer. But, it wasn't until we went to a vape meet and met good builders that either of us really got the hang of advanced things like proper setups, and DIY juice making.

You're definitely doing the right thing by holding off until you're ready. Just remember to Keep It Stupid Simple, and not sweat the possibilities of outrageous coil builds until you can properly wrap a wire around a drill bit, attach it to a deck, and thread your wick. Everything else will come in time, and builds get easier with each successive one you do...successful or not.

Wait.... ur married to tim the tool man taylor!?  lol   Good luck to you in the next step in vapeing for you.

Not Tim the Tool Man Taylor....

He does electronics mostly. And he invests in flashlights. I should say that one closet isn't packed full of tools because it also has our security system/camera system and bathroom stereo system hookups in it. (Yes, he put a full stereo system in my bathroom. So I can listen to music and tune out the world when I take a bath.)

• 2 weeks later...

Also, they're good to replace, if you've dry burn em too much. That tends to weaken the rubber and sometimes melt em a little, which causes a nasty prevailing taste over the juices.

I take the rubber part off before I dry burn. Well, heck, I take the stem off, too, so I can see that the coil is heating evenly, and what kind of condition the wick is in.

• 2 months later...