Coughing?

Is it normal to feel like you're coughing up a lung when you make the big switch? I'm not sick and while I'm not coughing often, when I do cough, it's a coughing "fit" and a very strong cough that honestly gives me a headache!

Seriously, I've had two kids. My bladder can't handle this cough for long!

When you get off the analogs your body is going to go through lots of changes with the detox from the 4000+ carcinogenics. Also, did you increase your intake of water? Even now if I let my throat go dry I start coughing. Taking a drink of water, usually several long sips will get rid of the cough.

your body is aching to be healthy...since your not adding to the tars lining your lungs anymore, your body is trying to rid itself of those tars, and gives you that cough. You'll be hacking up chunks for a few weeks, but every week your gonna feel better!!

From what I understand, there's a bunch of little hairs in your throat and lungs that normally help move mucus and gunk up and out of the lungs. When you smoke, these hairs burn off and that's why smokers get bronchitus and sinus infections because they have more mucus in their breathing system.

Once you stop smoking, these hairs begin to grow back and you'll begin to clear out your system (coughing)

I agree with all of the above and want to add ..

You might consider switching to a lower level of nic in your ejuice.

When I was shopping my initial purchase at my local store the clerk ran through the levels they had.. highest was 24 so I said, "yeah gimme that, I'm a heavy smoker".

So he said, "Well, why don't you try the 24 first, It can have a heavy throat hit."

I swear, I thought I was gonna die. My wife thought so too..

10 minutes of hacking and a glass of water later, I said, "Yeah, I'll take the 12."

Now I vape 12 to 18 nic (I think technically it's 1.2 mg and 1.8 mg but I'm not sure about that)

I still cough, but not while or because of vaping. But, with the lower nic level, I have to vape more often to keep my calm.

Stick with it..

I agree with all of the above and want to add ..

You might consider switching to a lower level of nic in your ejuice.

When I was shopping my initial purchase at my local store the clerk ran through the levels they had.. highest was 24 so I said, "yeah gimme that, I'm a heavy smoker".

So he said, "Well, why don't you try the 24 first, It can have a heavy throat hit."

I swear, I thought I was gonna die. My wife thought so too..

10 minutes of hacking and a glass of water later, I said, "Yeah, I'll take the 12."

Now I vape 12 to 18 nic (I think technically it's 1.2 mg and 1.8 mg but I'm not sure about that)

I still cough, but not while or because of vaping. But, with the lower nic level, I have to vape more often to keep my calm.

Stick with it..

I'm curious. What was the PG/VG ratio of the 24 mg nic juice you tried? The level of nicotine is not always the culprit to a heavy throat hit. More PG in a juice will also do the same.

More PG = thinner juice, more throat hit

More VG = thicker juice, will gum up coils faster, more vapor, slightly sweeter flavor

In my collection I have everything from 0 - 24 mg of nic, most are at 12, however. The 24 has a slightly stronger throat hit but not by a lot because the juices are at a 50/50 blend.

I have no idea about the ratio. Next time I'm there I will ask. I need to learn more about that anyway.

I'm assuming it was 50/50, but only because I seem to remember a sign that all of their juices are 50/50.

I'm planning on going back tomorrow.

Sad that it's not on the label.

On the upside. i just contracted my first cold since i started vaping. While the initial portions were as bad as they always were (worse in some respects) i'm on day 4 now and the little bit of mucus i'm coughing up is clear as water. It's kind of amazing lol. and the cough is much much much less severe than back when i was a smoker!

To the OP, it's completely normal to start coughing up crap after you quit the analogs for a while. Your lungs are working their way back to functioning, and they have to clear the crap out.

On the upside. i just contracted my first cold since i started vaping. While the initial portions were as bad as they always were (worse in some respects) i'm on day 4 now and the little bit of mucus i'm coughing up is clear as water. It's kind of amazing lol. and the cough is much much much less severe than back when i was a smoker!

I've got.....something going on. For the first time in what, 7, 8 months since I put the analogs down, I've felt like I did some mornings at the end of my analog days.....take a deep breath and hack. Not bringing anything up yet, except when I bring out post nasal drip from my throat, which has been going on all winter (thank you sinuses, I mean, really, just thanks, you're super).

I'm curious. What was the PG/VG ratio of the 24 mg nic juice you tried? The level of nicotine is not always the culprit to a heavy throat hit. More PG in a juice will also do the same.

More PG = thinner juice, more throat hit

More VG = thicker juice, will gum up coils faster, more vapor, slightly sweeter flavor

In my collection I have everything from 0 - 24 mg of nic, most are at 12, however. The 24 has a slightly stronger throat hit but not by a lot because the juices are at a 50/50 blend.

According to the clerk, they are all PG35/VG65. So, maybe I'm a light weight, took too big a hit, IDK.

I'm just glad that he had me try it before I bought it.

According to the clerk, they are all PG35/VG65. So, maybe I'm a light weight, took too big a hit, IDK.

I'm just glad that he had me try it before I bought it.

Okay, here's my last suggestion and then I'm tapped out. :)

When you took the hit, did you draw it into your mouth first, wait a second and then inhale? If you went straight for the lung inhale, that could also be why you had the coughing fit. Not a good thing to do until you're used to the vapor.

Here's my .02.

Let's not forget the body's natural inclination to not inhale water vapor. Most of us might not have had too much trouble with it and even find it milder than smoking but I have run in to a few people who when they started vaping had an unexplainable reaction to just plain inhaling moisture. They just had to get over the reflex action.