Cotton Wicks

Ugalady83

I've been reading about cotton wicks and seeing some friends who sub ohm mod, etc. so I'm wide awake tonight and frustrated with several burnt coils after only a day (think it might be a new juice I'm trying), so I do a little experiment tonight. I've never rebuilt a coil, and don't have the materials to do so.

Well I took a Smok coil similar to a PT2 coil and got all of the wicking out completely, dry burned, rolled some cotton and it is awesome!

I'm so excited about the way it wicks and draws now and the taste, that I think I may start rebuilding the coils. I never imagined that would EVER happen.

I love building my own coils. As a matter of fact I started using cotton wicks not all that long ago. The one thing you have to remember is to use untreated and unbleached cotton. If you don't then at least boil your cotton balls first. There is bleach and pesticides in cheap cotton balls. Boiling them works. I used to boil mine twice and then unroll them. From there I would place the cotton in front of a fan to air dry. I would boil a dozen at a time so I wouldn't have to do it often.

Welcome to tge DARKSIDE Ugalady! Lol

@Happy Vapor, there's a lot of back and forth on wether to boil or not. I do, but only to remove any weird taste from the cotton. I've been educated by a longtime member here ( iMedic ), that boiling it only pulles the impurities out of the cotton and into the top layer of water , that when you pull your cotton out, its going right thru the stuff again. As far as I'm concerned, its a taste thing. The way I look at it, is if there's anything in there that hasn't been rendered inactive after boiling 3 times, well, whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Lol

Edited by Joshuab3687

I've been reading about cotton wicks and seeing some friends who sub ohm mod, etc. so I'm wide awake tonight and frustrated with several burnt coils after only a day (think it might be a new juice I'm trying), so I do a little experiment tonight. I've never rebuilt a coil, and don't have the materials to do so.

Well I took a Smok coil similar to a PT2 coil and got all of the wicking out completely, dry burned, rolled some cotton and it is awesome!

I'm so excited about the way it wicks and draws now and the taste, that I think I may start rebuilding the coils. I never imagined that would EVER happen.

If you do start re/building coils, get your Kanthal here: http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?t1=Kanthal

A lot of times a 100 ft spool is cheaper than 10 ft from a vape shop. And its free shipping!

Welcome to tge DARKSIDE Ugalady! Lol

@Happy Vapor, there's a lot of back and forth on wether to boil or not. I do, but only to remove any weird taste from the cotton. I've been educated by a longtime member here ( iMedic ), that boiling it only pulles the impurities out of the cotton and into the top layer of water , that when you pull your cotton out, its going right thru the stuff again. As far as I'm concerned, its a taste thing. The way I look at it, is if there's anything in there that hasn't been rendered inactive after boiling 3 times, well, whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Lol

I feel the same way. I can't find the untreated cotton locally and I really don't like to order online (call me old fashioned). But I agree boiling it makes it taste less harsh.

I'll have to boil a few. Last night was my first attempt. You know there's ice here in Georgia and we can't drive lol. So I'll have to use that method and see what I think. Thank you for all of the responses and including the tip on where to buy the wire.

I've been using organic cotton for a while now, no boiling, no weird taste

but recently my buddy is trying to convince me to try ekowool or ceramic wick

I've never tried either of those please let me know if they are worth trying. I prefer cotton over silica and wire mesh. I blew up a battery with the mesh. Not even sue what I did wrong but that was the first and last time I tried it. Lol

I can't wait to order my helios I hope it doesn't disappoint.

it'll be the rba that i'm going to mess with different coils on. such an easy platform to basically build any coil.

i'll also want to start making video tutorials with it

my igo-w, kayfun, and rsst will always have the same builds in them. they hit my 3 spots perfectly, vapor, flavor, and half/half

I too am loving the clean taste with the cotton wick.

Organic cotton is the way to go.

I use the organic makeup removal pads.

Basically, its a sandwich with woven cotton on the outsides and fluffy cotton stuffing on the inside.

The outside has a weave to it so that when pulling it's strong in one direction but will pull apart in the other.

So, I trim the edges to take the sandwich apart,

choose one of the outside pieces and cut it into strips in the direction so that it doesn't break into pieces when I tug on it.

Then by twisting it between my finger and thumb I can make a nice cotton yarn.

I know you guys are building your own coils and stuff but I'm not there yet.

I just re-wick mine with the coil in place using a needle and thread..

credit where due.. i got the idea from another forum.. link below. This guy uses cotton cheesecloth.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/385799-how-i-re-wick-my-t3s-cheesecloth-pictues.html

Edited by Foghat

I'll have to look into it. I'm thinking about trying out Fat Daddy's Vapin Donuts. Ceramic coils. Going dual puts you at 0.3ohms. Might be nice on days I don't feel like building coils. Just don't know when that'll be yet. I'm addicted now. Hell, I even dream about building coils now.

Let us know about how those donuts work..I've seen them on a few FB groups, but no real feedback yet..

Might be a while before I do. I have about 30 things ahead of it on my "to get" list. Lol.

My list keeps growing! I'm coming to realize, that I might be obsessing a little. I have a literal list that I'm working on. I rewrote it a couple hours ago so I could read my writting a little better and well... Its frickin long!