Please explain how LR drains a battery faster?

spydre

On a VV/VW unit you CAN increase battery life with LR coils. As you can set the voltage lower to achieve the same plumes. However most people dont think to lower the voltage, they use a lower resistance with the same voltage to achieve a better vape. The your coil wire can be thought of as a hallway that a mass of people(electrons) are passing through. The tighter the hallway the less traffic and the longer the room at the end stays full. Now imagine all those people running down the hallway... this is an increase in voltage. Room empties quicker... if they all walk very slowely a decrease in voltage, the room(battery) stays full longer. If we widen that hallway we tighten that hallway we have more resistance if we widen the hallway we reduce the resistance. Hope my analogy helps.

Even setting by amps your either increasing or decreasing voltage have a look at ohms law on Google.

Imagine you have a 60w lightbulb connected to a battery and it lasts 1 hour.

Connect a 120w lightbulb to it, it will last 30 mins as you've doubled the load !

Connect a 30w lightbulb to it and it will last 2 hours as you've halved the load.

I don't know what physics classes Vapordragon went to but I'm sure as hell glad I never went to them.

With this lower resistance, more electrical current can flow through the device and in essence will drain the battery faster than a standard resistance atty. The lower the resistance of an atty the higher the wattage output. look at Ohms law:

With a 1.5 ohm atty at 3.7 volts the wattage output is 9.12 watts

With a 2.5 ohm atty at 3.7 volts the wattage output is 5.47 watts

Even setting by amps your either increasing or decreasing voltage have a look at ohms law on Google.

Imagine you have a 60w lightbulb connected to a battery and it lasts 1 hour.

Connect a 120w lightbulb to it, it will last 30 mins as you've doubled the load !

Connect a 30w lightbulb to it and it will last 2 hours as you've halved the load.

I don't know what physics classes Vapordragon went to but I'm sure as hell glad I never went to them.

I actually have an bachelors in applied physics so i understand the basics. And what i said before was a fact. Google it if you must. I dont however understand the need for condescending comments. You either agree with me or you dont. While disagreeing with me doesnt offend me, the condescending arrogance of your comment does. And to think i expected that everyone would remain adult. Tsk tsk.

I actually have an bachelors in applied physics so i understand the basics. And what i said before was a fact. Google it if you must. I dont however understand the need for condescending comments. You either agree with me or you dont. While disagreeing with me doesnt offend me, the condescending arrogance of your comment does. And to think i expected that everyone would remain adult. Tsk tsk.

Your explanation using hallways and people I found a little bewildering where as the way I explained it using lightbulbs was much simpler.

Yes a higher resistance coil will produce less watts but who vapes a 2.5ohm coil at 3.7v it would barely get warm so you find yourself pressing the ignite button longer using more power.

Swings and roundabouts springs to mind.

If I offended you then I can only apologise being as you have a bachelors in physics I'm surprised you didn't know that anything expressed on a forum is just taken with a pinch of salt.

Now you're changing the argument. If we insert a person's vaping habits into the equation then all bets are off. But the fact still remains. All things being equal, a LR atty will drain a battery faster than a SR atty. This is not my opinion, this Ohms law, not Ohms opinion.

So for this we will use a 900mAH battery.

.9 x 3.7V = 3.33wAH

3.33W - 1 hour

6.66W - 30 mins

13.32W - 15 mins

Based on continuous operation.

So lower wattage is better regardless of the resistance being high or low as both can be achieved on either.

Yes it was regarding resistance however as I posted above batteries are measured in mAH. As you can achieve a low watts ratio on either LR or SR coils it really doesn't matter.

However on standard batteries then yes a LR might drain it quicker whereas with a spinner or twist you can compensate by lowering the voltage.

Have a good day.

You know what? Just shut up arguing about it. One of the reasons I want to know is because I'm a Watts kind of gal, true, HOWEVER, I have remembered there is a tasteyourjuice.com video that goes into it in detail.

Well, in a roundabout, shortened way, after my SO (see Jeff, I'm not saying hubby) failed to explain it adequately, it seems to all break down to the amps or current. LR requires more amps (current) to achieve the same voltage or wattage, thus draining the battery faster, than midrange resistance or high resistance.

http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2013/01/02/beginners-guide-to-e-cigs-and-e-cig-tech/

Edited by spydre

Well, in a roundabout, shortened way, after my SO (see Jeff, I'm not saying hubby) failed to explain it adequately, it seems to all break down to the amps or current. LR requires more amps (current) to achieve the same voltage or wattage, thus draining the battery faster, than midrange resistance or high resistance.

http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/2013/01/02/beginners-guide-to-e-cigs-and-e-cig-tech/

There just so many things wrong with the way you have worded this.....

I get what you are trying to say.

Jeff's post at 10:23am is the correct answer to this question

There just so many things wrong with the way you have worded this.....

I get what you are trying to say.

Jeff's post at 10:23am is the correct answer to this question

But his didn't answer the wattage question. I pretty much used the same words that Phil used, while showing the math on slides.