Can't a smoker catch a break

mule6667

Started vaping recently in an effort to transition/quit smoking. This method as some may be aware has been utilized by smokers for years. Obviously not in the same format, but the foundation of delivery was the same.

What I find so frustrating is the lose/lose position a smoker is in as far as the perception of regulating entities, and the realization that they perceive e-cigs in a negative light only due to self imposed ignorance on how they handled cigarettes. It's so twisted..the reality of the whole situation is that it simply boils down to money. Our state and federal governments have been milking smokers with heavy tax for years, they advertise this as an incentive to get people to quit. Reality is, they know full well that all this will do is fund them.

Now another possible alternative comes along that isn't introduced by a drug company and they feel the need to put the brakes on. Don't get me wrong...they aren't banning them, but they aren't doing much to support the cause either. I can't say that e-cigs are a silver bullet, but they give people hope of the possibility that they may be able to embrace a viable replacement to cigarettes. If they begin taxing, or harshly regulating this product they do nothing more than show their true colors and just how much they actually care about the health of Americans.

They talk about e-cigs being a gateway to smoking! You have to be kidding me! Nicotine doesn't get you high, sending the user looking for the next progression. Most smokers started by believing it was cool, or to fit in and found themselves hooked. To this day..our government in recent times has less to say about that then e-cigs! It's all about the handout they receive from big tobacco and it's such a transparent stance that it's offensive they believe any sensible person would see this any differently.

God willing, my new e-cig, and the producers of the product help support me as I try to get off of the tobacco train. Lord knows if the dollars in tax I give now change to cents the government will happily determine that they mislabeled the tax as being tobacco, when it was intended to be nicotine.

That happens, it's time to go after all the users of caffeine too, because if their was cigarette with caffeine and no nicotine, rest assured there would be people who'd start using it.

Leave the e-cigs and those of us excited about trying a new quitting option alone! This is what the leaders of this country have preached to us smokers, so put your money where your mouth is and back a healthier alternative rather than thinking about how to make up the revenue difference.

Edited by BirdDog
because i can

• 3 weeks later...

What's this about going after caffeine? Don't even jest like that. I've been on caffeine since I was 4. I've actually been desperate enough to steal coffee.

I smoked because I was told it would relax me, and it did exactly that. It's what brought me back to nicotine after 12 years quit. (How the crap did I survive cold turkey?!)

A gateway to cigarettes?! That doesn't even make sense. Everyone I know had thier first cig from some one else's pack.