Ecig go boom

Jeffb

Once again, charging via a computer port!!!

I've seen this posted a few times. the only place I charge mine is from my usb port because I've been told to only use the cord that came with my battery and the only cord I got with my two joeytech passthroughs was a usb to mini usb.. So is this not a safe way to charge?

I've seen this posted a few times. the only place I charge mine is from my usb port because I've been told to only use the cord that came with my battery and the only cord I got with my two joeytech passthroughs was a usb to mini usb.. So is this not a safe way to charge?

Do you have the ego pass thru? If so, you can use the eGo rapid charger to charge your batteries. I have one of the eGo T pass thru, I use the wall charger all the time to charge it. You can screw it on just like the eGo batteries. It will charge both ways.

I usually don't charge my batteries with the usb on my computer. However, I just bought the Itaste V3 and have charged it using my USB on the external port hub that has an additional power source. Works great! I also have charged it using the wall plug from my eGo batteries. Also works well. I don't charge my batteries when I am not home and I am not brave enough to plug it directly into my computer usb port.

USB ports supply power, period. If you attempt to charge any sketchy cheapo battery via USB or AC adapter you're rolling the dice with a battery vent.

I do electrical safety for a living and have charged ecig and other batteries via computer USB ports for years without issue or worry.

USB ports supply power, period. If you attempt to charge any sketchy cheapo battery via USB or AC adapter you're rolling the dice with a battery vent.

I do electrical safety for a living and have charged ecig and other batteries via computer USB ports for years without issue or worry.

Its just uncanny that literally every story I have read about "exploding batteries" have had in common that the battery was either being charged via computer USB port or in a vehicle. I do not think I have ever read a story about a battery on a wall charger exploding or catching fire.

I am not an electrical expert like you are, but one question, is there a "throttling" of power output in PCs and vehicle USB ports that does not exist in a wall outlet?

I found a good article about charging items with usb ports and the power coming out of a usb 1.0 and 2.0 is still 5 volts and the amperage is 500 mA. Thats only 80 ma more than the ego rapid charger.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

Edited by hawks78

my joytech chargers have overcharge protection built in to them. The wall wort you are showing is a voltage converter (AC to DC) and yes it also has overcharge protection built in. Just make sure that when you buy a charger it has overcharge protection.

The circuit for overcharge protection is quite small and yes it can fail open and remove your overcharge protection but failures can happen anywhere any time even in the wall wort.

Look at all the money invested into the space shuttles, all the safety, testing etc provided.

Look at the nuclear plants in Japan with multiple redundancy safety measures.

Failures can happen but by design the USB chargers you get with your batteries are safe and have protection built in.

Using Lithium ION batteries it's absolutely required else battery damage would occur with the first or second charging if you don't catch it right away after fully charged.

Lithium Ion batteries are awesome batteries but they have some major weaknesses. They can not be fully discharged ( part of why your battery turns itself off when it gets too low voltage (even the ego t,c series do this). Once fully discharged a Lithium Ion battery is scrap.

overcharging (like with any battery) can produce gassing (production of h2 gas) which is explosive at quite low concentrations (this is why people who work on battery systems always use brass non sparking tools).

On the plus side lithium ion batteries have huge cycle lifes (the number of times they can be recharged) (relatively speaking) and do not gain battery memory like some other styles.

Almost snippy huh..... tired of that too......

The owner of the store I work at was selling a USB charging cables that he had branded with our logo, without the wall wort. He was getting a huge amount of returns ( like 60%) and spent a ton of time and energy to find out why.after contacting several charger manufacturerers including Texas Instruments and Joye. We now only sell Joytechs high end USB charging cable and wall wort with overcharge protection, I am not allowed to sell the cable without the wort, and have been instructed to educate all new customers in safe battery charging practices.

Other wall worts for other uses(pc, cell, pod, pad, etc) have higher discharge levels, USB ports also

YMMV

Almost snippy huh..... tired of that too......

The owner of the store I work at was selling a USB charging cables that he had branded with our logo, without the wall wort. He was getting a huge amount of returns ( like 60%) and spent a ton of time and energy to find out why.after contacting several charger manufacturerers including Texas Instruments and Joye. We now only sell Joytechs high end USB charging cable and wall wort with overcharge protection, I am not allowed to sell the cable without the wort, and have been instructed to educate all new customers in safe battery charging practices.

Other wall worts for other uses(pc, cell, pod, pad, etc) have higher discharge levels, USB ports also

YMMV

Please provide manufacturer links to substantiate. I'm sorry if you feel I come off snippy but misinformation only serves to heighten misplaced hysteria.

I first became involved in electronics about 50 years ago when I was a kid. As someone else posted, the AC adapter is comprised of transformer circuitry to step the voltage down and a rectifier circuit to convert alternating current to direct current. It is the charger circuity that provides any level of protection and that circuitry is in the charger, not the AC adapter.

You mentioned that you now only sell high quality charging equipment. You might want to re-read my original post.

I first became involved in electronics about 50 years ago when I was a kid. As someone else posted, the AC adapter is comprised of transformer circuitry to step the voltage down and a rectifier circuit to convert alternating current to direct current. It is the charger circuity that provides any level of protection and that circuitry is in the charger, not the AC adapter.

I believe so.

JoyeTech eGo rapid charger is pretty good with short circuit. A few times I forgot to clean the connector before plugging the battery in. The juice on the connector cause short circuit and the charger die. Both times, there a little bit of burnt smell comes from the small part that looks like the fuse on the circuit board. I often leave the battery charging over night and haven't had any problem. The battery stay cool, so I would think that there is overcharge protection built in.

V2 web store says their USB smart charger has overcharge protection.

Two problems that I had with charging battery were with using wrong cable type and a cheap eGo charger. The wrong cable cause my KGO VV to heat up and completely drained. It was a 4 conductors cable in stead of proprietary 2 contductors like the one came with the battery. The cheap eGo charger just keep blinking red/green after 4 hours. The battery was fully charged but slightly heat up.

Like mentioned above, just check compatibility before use.