Wattage vs Voltage

OK I understand with the Vamo I can set it to wattage instead of voltage. How does that work? I mean, I am not an electronic guru at all so explain it like I am a child. With all my liquids I vape some at 2.2ohms @ 3.7-3.8v and others I use 2.5ohm @ 4.0-4.2v. What wattage should this convert to?

Based on my calculations, most likely wrong, that would be somewhere around 7 watts?

Bookmark this chart, first of all.

http://www.vaporrater.com/images/Ohmschart.jpg

You know the voltage you liked your juices at on the twist, right? You look up the voltage and the resistance, and the wattage (power) is the number in the box in the grid. So if you like your Strawberry Fields at a certain wattage when it had a certain resistance coil in it, but now you have a different resistance coil in it, you can use the chart to look up what the wattage level was, and set it that way - to that power setting, or you could turn it around and use that wattage number, and look at the current resistance coils you have in it, and find out what voltage you would need.

That's how I'm planning on getting to right levels going off of hubby's numbers - I just got his resistance and his voltage, and so now, just look at the chart, see what power level (roundabout, because his resistance (3.8) isn't on the chart, and find either the wattage level and program that in, or find what voltage level I need with the coil I have in that tank to get to that power level.

Okay, this makes sense in my head, really it does. Tell me if it doesn't make sense when I said it.

Edit: Ha! I found it. About 5.5 watts. Cooler than I would have thought, and I tried that power setting on my chocolate banana, and it's too cool for that, but no wonder that last time he put my Davide on his Provari and he forgot to change the settings it tasted burnt - at the that time my coil was at 2 resistance, and at 4.5 volts, that was pushing more than 9 watts through. The only way I could have gotten to this power setting would be by adjusting the wattage, not the voltage - because when you set the wattage, it will adjust the voltage in even smaller increments than .1 - so out a second decimal place, I guess, to get THAT power with that resistance. And this tastes right.

Edited by spydre

I have looked at the chart and used the tables, just double checking my calculations with some more experienced members. I am thinking one of the advantages of VW is not having to change the setting each time I switch liquids. If I am right, 3.7-2.8v at 2.2ohms and 4.0-4.2v at 2.5ohms each result in very similar wattage.

I use this

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/watt-volt-amp-calculator.htm

yep,3.8v with 2.2ohms is ~6.5 watts and 4.2 v with 2.5 ohms is ~ 7 watts

Just remember it may taste a bit stronger when you're on the wattage setting

due to the fact that the twists and spinners etc. have some voltage dropout

under load but the watts setting on the vamo probly won't.

HTH

yep,3.8v with 2.2ohms is ~6.5 watts and 4.2 v with 2.5 ohms is ~ 7 watts

Just remember it may taste a bit stronger when you're on the wattage setting

due to the fact that the twists and spinners etc. have some voltage dropout

under load but the watts setting on the vamo probly won't.

HTH

The first thing I noticed was the fact the first draw is a good one, with the other standard batteries it seems like the first draw is light and primes things then the second draw is the good one. I think I may like this thing, and that is not good, because in a few weeks i will have 10 different styles lol. I mean, I already bought 4 18650 batteries, gotta have something to put em in right?

Edited by bcartervol98

The first thing I noticed was the fact the first draw is a good one, with the other standard batteries it seems like the first draw is light and primes things then the second draw is the good one. I think I may like this thing, and that is not good, because in a few weeks i will have 10 different styles lol. I mean, I already bought 4 18650 batteries, gotta have something to put em in right?

SVD for when you're at work and the Vamo for home use.

With a vw device that remembers the wattage that you have set, you can swap out delivery devices of different resistance values. That pv will automatically adjust the voltage so that the delivery device coil fires at the same heat level by maintaining the wattage you have set.

Edited by irwink

With a vw device that remembers the wattage that you have set, you can swap out delivery devices of different resistance values. That pv will automatically adjust the voltage so that the delivery device coil fires at the same heat level by maintaining the wattage you have set.

Yea this is cool. I feel like I have entered a whole new world. Already looking for my next one lol

Then I guess ya don't want me to tell ya that the vamo is actually

firing at six volts lol.It's just turning it off and on so fast that it feels lower

depending on where you set it :)

PWM (pulse width modulation). Makes some DDs sound like a rattlesnake...especially cartos. :yes

The thing is, with me, not all my juices can be done at the same setting. Like, okay, my 618 is set for around 6 watts, or 5.5, depending on how I feel. Was trying to duplicate what I would get off hubby's provari/carto tank set up, and I pretty much duplicated wattage, at least from the chart I have, but it's still not quite there....either that, or maybe I don't like the flavor coming off his 618 set up as I thought, for long term vaping. I'm not sure. But some flavors I find the 5.5 or 6 watts too cool, and some I find it almost burning it. I've found some success (depending on the resistance in the coil) at 4 volts with some of my flavors.

Try Boba's Bounty at 11-12 Watts :D

What resistance would you use at such a high wattage? Or does it matter?

With the resistances I currently have - up to 2.8 - I can't get close to much above 8 watts without running into the warning zone.

Strike that, lemme change it - with the chart I have, it doesn't show ANY mix of settings hitting 9 (well, one hits 9) without going into the warning zone, or the burnout imminent zone.

That chart is VERY conservative. I used to use 1.8ohm at 4.2-4.5v with tobacco flavors with no problems. My wife still does. Her batteries run 4.2v all the time, are not VV and she likes 1.8ohm coils with all her flavors.

Ok so I think I confused myself in my head.... lol....

On my carto's when I buy them they ask if I want 2.5 or what not... Is that ohms or amps? I know on my old atomizers it was ohms, cause it would have the symbol for ohms. On my SVD it doesn't matter it tells me what my amp is so I can figure the rest out using the calculator. I just want to make sure I'm nit confusing amps and ohms so I don't burnup my coils and stuff on accident.

That chart is VERY conservative. I used to use 1.8ohm at 4.2-4.5v with tobacco flavors with no problems. My wife still does. Her batteries run 4.2v all the time, are not VV and she likes 1.8ohm coils with all her flavors.

Good to know - is there another not so conservative chart I could follow?

The calculator app on my phone is even MORE conservative, as well. It says 2.2 resistance with 4 volts is "green" (so good), but 2.0 ohms with 4 is in the warning area.

1.8Ω on my Vapage Vmod XL with a kick cranked all the way up. Which is 10.5 watts i believe. Havent looked at it in awhile tho, Just vape it!

Edited by Proetus

Guidelines, thats all those charts are. Certainly not the end all be all of vaping. Experiment, turn your volts/watts up down all around! Worst that happens is it tastes nasty and your turn it down. However i am using carto's and RBA's. YMMV!