NYT - "The Ambiguous Allure of the E-Cig"

sonofzell

The linked article was included in a press release earlier today by my employer (The Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania).

I found the arguments presented in the reader comments interesting...

The Ambiguous Allure of the E-Cig
In a recent “Room for Debate” in the New York Times, experts weighed in the latest trend of e-cigarettes. Andrew Strasser, MD, associate professor in the department of Psychiatry and director of its Biobehavioral Smoking Laboratory, penned a piece, arguing for more research and regulation. Not all smokers are alike and therefore will respond differently to e-cigarettes, he writes, and there is a paucity of research on how individuals actually use them and if there are any risks or benefits. “Production standards must be enforced so that consumers can be properly informed of the amount of nicotine and other constituents present,” he writes.” Until we have a sense of how the public will actually use the product we must carefully and continually monitor this emerging health issue.”

Right. It also points out how terribly misinformed or illinformed the desenters are.

If there is one thing that grates on me its someone who is too lazy to do the research or observe a situation, relies on what other misinformed people espouse, and then regurgitate THAT as informed opinion. Grrrr

Guess I need to head over to Rants now, lol

Right. It also points out how terribly misinformed or illinformed the desenters are.

If there is one thing that grates on me its someone who is too lazy to do the research or observe a situation, relies on what other misinformed people espouse, and then regurgitate THAT as informed opinion. Grrrr

Guess I need to head over to Rants now, lol

But the dissenters don't want to hear any opposing facts, it gets in the way of their illinformed opinions.

That's one of my main pet peeves as well. If you want to learn about something, are interested in a certain subject -- for Pete's sake do the research! Don't just settle for the first thing you read and then quote that as the gospel. Read, read, then read some more. Go out and experience this thing if possible. Then, after you do that, research a bit more to make sure what you read were from credible sources. Once you do all that, pull out the common sense and use it to form your own opinions based on what you researched. ARGH!

May I join you over in the Rants forum? :)