Is This True?

jonnoh

I just heard from an Australian colleague that vaping is illegal in Australia, Canada and Hong Kong. C'mon Hong Kong? my first functioning starter kit came from a city next to Hong Kong.

I just heard from an Australian colleague that vaping is illegal in Australia, Canada and Hong Kong. C'mon Hong Kong? my first functioning starter kit came from a city next to Hong Kong.

Yeah, the Chinese arent big on practicing democracy, just profiting from it. And Austrailia, they also banned guns, then watched thier crime and homicide rate triple. Canada, I wasnt aware of that one

It is not illegal to posses an Electronic Cigarette in the listed country only illegal to sell them. Those countries have placed an important ban on ecigs. Hong Kong actually made a couple of arrests against suppliers.

You have to remember cigarettes bring in an enormous amount of Tax money in for these countries. Do you really think they want these things on the market? Of course not. If they can ever tax them, you can bet your butt they'll be paying companies to get them on the market.

It is not illegal to posses an Electronic Cigarette in the listed country only illegal to sell them. Those countries have placed an important ban on ecigs. Hong Kong actually made a couple of arrests against suppliers.

You have to remember cigarettes bring in an enormous amount of Tax money in for these countries. Do you really think they want these things on the market? Of course not. If they can ever tax them, you can bet your butt they'll be paying companies to get them on the market.

e-cigs are legal in mainland China,but on Hong-Kong - vengeance perhaps?

Thats not true at all about Canada. In Canada the nicotine is restricted. Health Canada (our FDA) issued a strong warning to stop the sale of them, but they really don't have any authority to do so, other than in regards to to nicotine. There is nothing illegal about the act of vaping.

Thats not true at all about Canada. In Canada the nicotine is restricted. Health Canada (our FDA) issued a strong warning to stop the sale of them, but they really don't have any authority to do so, other than in regards to to nicotine. There is nothing illegal about the act of vaping.

Oh thank the gods..... The true north is still strong and free.... O Canada I stand on guard for thee.... At least I know I can still visit my friend in Halifax and vape my heart out.

Oh thank the gods..... The true north is still strong and free.... O Canada I stand on guard for thee.... At least I know I can still visit my friend in Halifax and vape my heart out.

I quote the side of a packet of Peter Jacksons, circa 1974 when I was in uni in Toronto ... Health and Welfare Canada advises that cigarette smoking may be dangerous to your health. Avoid inhaling.

Damn, now I have O Canada stuck in my head. So long Henry Repeating Arms jingle stuck in my head for 2 weeks, you've been replaced!

• 1 month later...

I actually saw Chris posted on the member forums today in reply to a Canadian looking for a supplier, and Chris stated it was illegal in Canada, which is somewhat wrong. I'm in Toronto myself and just started looking at getting one today. I found many Canadian suppliers of different types of ecigs. In March 09, there was a pretty strong statement from Health Canada about them:

In Canada, as of March 2009, imports, sales, and advertising is banned. In March 2009, Health Canada also advised Canadians not to purchase or use any electronic smoking products. Health Canada cited the Food and Drugs Act, stating that electronic smoking products containing nicotine require market authorization before they can be imported, marketed, or sold. No market authorization has been granted for any electronic smoking product.

With that being said, I don't understand how there are companies selling them in Canada, especially when the above statement states they can't even be sold, however, as stated by others, it is legal to vape. I've been in contact today with a retailer for ecigs, and his statement about Canada's stand on them was simply that they were unfavorable, and due to the limitations on marketing them, that's the only reason he hasn't been able to get a solid business going on them. I've forwarded him the above statement and asked for his opinions and stand on that, and if there were any changes to that statement since March. I expect a response tomorrow and will share here with you all if there have been any changes.

I ended up ordering a Spade and some juice today from dietsmokes.com who have no problem shipping to Canada, we'll see if it actually gets here though or not. And watch out New Jersey, a bill was just proposed yesterday to make ecigs illegal.

Here's the reply I got from a retailer in Canada regarding the legality.

It is our belief that the e-cig does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Food and Drugs Act, as Health Canada would like the public to believe. Since Health Canada is tasked with the enforcement of said Act, and not with creating new laws, we don’t view the recommendation of Health Canada as an order under law. They can, working with Customs, stop imports of the devices (which has caused lawsuits in the United States and UK), but we believe that is where their influence ends.

Regarding the safety of the devices – several privately funded studies have found strong evidence showing they are in fact healthier than traditional cigarettes. The FDA study in the States has been debunked by numerous educated individuals, including Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) in the UK, and has been said to hold no merit.

This said, the end decision must lie with the consumer. You mentioned reading forums and doing research, so you must be aware of the countless individuals that have had incredible success in switching from analogs to e-cigs. Most news posts and health advisories are swarmed with comments from happy individuals that have long chosen to ignore the “advisory” of the governing bodies, and make the decision for themselves. It must rely on your own educated opinion. So I invite you to do as much research as possible before trying the product.

In such an industry, there are several well-financed players that do not want this device to succeed, as you might have realized already. If you believe that this device is unsafe, please do not use it, but when you are smoking cigarettes that seem to be causing obvious harm, the only direction you can go is up.

That supplier is very correct in what he said and something that we face here in the United States, the FDA cannot create law but they sure do work their butts of to make sure these items do not enter the country.

I believe the EPA just acquired a new power... if they make a declaration of something being harmful to the environment, then at that point they gain the power to regulate it (has anyone else heard this, or did I imagine it?). Don't be surprised is the FDA get the same power sooner or later.

That supplier is very correct in what he said and something that we face here in the United States, the FDA cannot create law but they sure do work their butts of to make sure these items do not enter the country.

glad you agree, might want to stop chris from posting on the main forums telling Canadians it's illegal and we should talk to our government. I feel bad for the fellow canadian who got that response from Chris and may have been turned off of your product or ecigs in general when one of the main guys makes a comment like that.

I spoke to dietsmokes today about my order and they stated there should be no problem with me recieving my spade and juice in a few days.

glad you agree, might want to stop chris from posting on the main forums telling Canadians it's illegal and we should talk to our government. I feel bad for the fellow canadian who got that response from Chris and may have been turned off of your product or ecigs in general when one of the main guys makes a comment like that.

I spoke to dietsmokes today about my order and they stated there should be no problem with me recieving my spade and juice in a few days.

oops, you are chris :withstupid: , I thought it was your partner in crime I saw in your videos that made that post since I saw you so blatantly shut down someone on another topic asking about where to get from if you're in Canada. At least my mistake gets me one step closer to getting out of noobie.

Christopher, may I quote you on "You have to remember cigarettes bring in an enormous amount of Tax money in for these countries. Do you really think they want these things on the market? Of course not. If they can ever tax them, you can bet your butt they'll be paying companies to get them on the market."

I am suppose to have a last name though because if I do not it can be said that I forged the quote.

Also, if by chance, do you know the information: Does the FDA get a portion of this tax for the sell of cigarettes?