Ecig Explodes & Catches Fire

Jeffb

I suspect there are all sorts of knockoff batteries going around with the explosion of popularity of e-cigs. I know the people that I have met that buy from the one small local shop all have unmarked non branded batteries that are noticeably lighter than my Joye and Vision branded items of the same size and mah. Also almost every one I have heard of exploding were either charging in a hot vehicle or via a usb port on a computer as opposed to a wall outlet. I am not sure why, but it seems to be universally accepted that the safest way to charge one is with a wall plug not in a car or computers USB port. I never charge mine on the boat anymore with the DC USB charger and only charge it with the wall plug and even so, I have it in a metal pan just in case.

This is why I put mine under a crab pot .

even my new ones -and only in the kitchen .(no fabric in there lol )

they are batteries that get taken everywhere and are subject to all kinds of abuse that noone really pays attention to . rolling off the counter being directly dropped ,liquid dripped into then plugged into the charger .it pays to be vigilant when It comes to electricity and batteries .(my dads an electrician)

@ Christie so you put your battery under a crab pot? Interesting - I place mine while they r charging on top of colored cement blocks like you would use on a patio walkway. I have it semi vented but enclosed kind of in shape of a box. I the put a coulple potted plants in front to kind of hide the blocks. I have all wood floors so kind of scared if explode might catch the old house on fire. We have lots of crab pots so I could see how that would work.

Well, it says in the article, she was told by the place she purchased it from she could use any charger....and I bet that's just what she did, not the charger for that specific e-cig. There are all sorts of warnings, at least on the vendor websites when you go to the info on the PV, it will say specifically what charger has to be used. If she went to a shop and they told her that? Well, they are idiots, and she may have a case for small claims court for repairs.

Our safe use of these products is only as good as the information we are given. So if someone is told that such and such a battery will work on x mod, and in truth, it doesn't, and then it has a problem, shorts, explodes, etc., then we received bad information. Same if we are told we can charge a stick battery on any charger, as in this case, when it requires a specific charger.

Some people just take the info they get for granted, and don't do the research.