The Reptile Room: A Thread for the Reptile Lovers & Herpetoculturists of VaporTalk

Well, go to the forums at Pangea. I probably won't be breeding them much more, as EVERYBODY and their mother is breeding them.

Chameleons are hard to keep, BTW. And iguanas can become severely aggressive if not constantly worked with. Stick with the beardies and crested geckos, lol

I couldn't agree more with that statement! I did some work for a lady one time and she proceeded to show me her 'little pet'. It was a 4-foot Iguana that she had raised since it was a baby. Well, it eventually got too big and too aggressive... and she had little kids around. So, she ended up giving it and the 120 gallon enclosure to me so she didn't have to take care of it anymore. It was quite old by then.. and all it could do in a 120g rectangular tank was lay on it's perch... but it did live for another 5-6 years with me until it finally died... just old age I think. People just don't realize how large some of these animals will end up getting... and then once they can't care properly for them they usually get pawned off on to someone else or simply not cared for properly anymore. All animals are 'cute' when they are babies... but please do your homework before you make a purchase! These critters need to be living in a place where they will be cared for to the fullest extent!

that spider is f*cking cool! I love that thing! where would someone obtain something like that?
Go to Arachnoboards, and search the classifieds. Word of warning: everything in the invertebrate hobby is listed by scientific name, and you are expected to do your homework. Some species are HIGHLY venomous, and while a bite won't kill you, they can be bad enough to warrant medical attention. All inverts are extremely fragile animals, and the practice of free handling is absolutely NOT recommended, and is usually frowned upon unless handling for maintenance or demonstration purposes. Edited by CascadianExotics

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I just wonder how do you deal with those snakes considering they're very poisonous and a bite will have a really great chance of setting you free in this world. I'm afraid of snakes for that reason anyway.

None of the snakes featured in this thread are venomous. Believe me, in the years I've been involved with these animals, I've been tagged a few times (generally due to my own complacency), and have not died or contracted any disease.

The number of venomous snake species comprise a pretty low percentage of all the known Ophids in the world. Of the non-venomous species, Boas and Pythons, along with most of your Colubrid species (corn, king, milk, and rat snakes) are all constrictor species. Most of those do not get past 6-feet in length, and none are monsters out to get you.

Some constrictors can be "misunderstood" creatures, but most are pretty cool, and make awesome pets.

• 2 weeks later...

It's cheaper to breed for sure but I do not have a place and the smell is something my wife will not put up with. At 77 cents per including shipping I can handle that. Shipping is high but looking big picture, still better than $2 each at the cheapest local source. Actually more than $2, as a box of 4 are $12.99. All the locally owned shops are closed now and PetSmart is all that is left.

Edited by bcartervol98

I was having trouble finding live mice for my python locally because the pet shops here stopped selling them...now they sell frozen ones (thanks, PETA). I didn't even know that a python would eat anything that wasn't alive, but they will, so now I take a mouse-sized piece of chicken or beef, put it in a small Ziploc baggie and drop it into a cup of warm water for a little bit to warm it up. My snake strikes and constricts the meat and then eats it with no problem. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and the snake seems to be healthy. Anybody else try this?

Mature Male B. albopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair)

e8ejareb.jpg

I have no problems with reptiles, but if I looked down and saw this on me (or near me), I can pretty much guarantee that it's bite wouldn't be what kills me...it would be the massive heart attack! Man, I HATE spiders!!! I've got a serious case of arachnophobia.

*EDIT*

I just read the original post, so don't get me wrong...I'm not saying, "Squish it!!!", but (shivers) they really do creep me out!

Edited by Rixter

I was having trouble finding live mice for my python locally because the pet shops here stopped selling them...now they sell frozen ones (thanks, PETA). I didn't even know that a python would eat anything that wasn't alive, but they will, so now I take a mouse-sized piece of chicken or beef, put it in a small Ziploc baggie and drop it into a cup of warm water for a little bit to warm it up. My snake strikes and constricts the meat and then eats it with no problem. I've been doing this for a couple of months now and the snake seems to be healthy. Anybody else try this?

No, but that's how I warm up my rodents for my snakes, lol.

Personally, I wouldn't risk feeding raw meat from the butcher or grocery store to a snake, nor would I recommend anyone doing so. First, whole rodents have extra nutrients (fat, calcium, vitamins) that meat may or may not contain. Second, meat may contain certain hormones, treatments, etc. that could potentially harm your pet.

Incidentally, its not PETA to blame for the switch to frozen/thawed rodents. It's irresponsible owners leaving rodents in with their snakes, and the inadvertent harm caused to their pets as seen almost daily by many a veterinarian.

Most hobbyists these days recognize that live feeding is almost totally unnecessary. It is less cruel for both predator and prey to make the switch to frozen/thawed. And the practice also has the benefit of keeping PETA's collective nose out of our business.

There are some specimens, however, that will not take to F/T, even with a proper adjustment period (one of my ball pythons refuses F/T despite two years of trying, but will readily take fresh-kill). In that case, it's perfectly acceptable to feed live, so long as it is done responsibly.

Hope this helps, Rix!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure you know already, Brian, but the spider gene is a dominant phenotype, and therefore cannot produce hets. Though, his pattern may have been influenced by having been bred from a spider. That being said, he would be excellent paired with any gene involving reduced patterns.

Pretty sure you know already, Brian, but the spider gene is a dominant phenotype, and therefore cannot produce hets. Though, his pattern may have been influenced by having been bred from a spider. That being said, he would be excellent paired with any gene involving reduced patterns.

Yea thats what I thought and why I said "Supposedly" lol. I didnt think Spider Balls could have a heterozygous like albino, leucistic, etc.... The guy I got him from is a great breeder but FOS about half the time lol.

You guys creep me out! Spiders I like. Snakes NO! Too many weird experiences with snakes. But I do appreciate the various colors and patterns they have.

Weird experiences lol. My weirdest is getting nailed in the face and wrapped by a 22 ft Reticulated Python we rescued that still to this day resides in the Memphis Zoo. Had I not had my partner at the shop I am not sure I would be here today. We donated her to the zoo after this. No enclosure could hold this snake. Her previous owner sprayed ammonia in her face to try and "tame her down" until she almost killed him. Yellow Head Retics are one of natures most beautiful animals imo, but at the same time with very few exceptions they are among the nastiest attitudes.

They definitely come with huge responsibility, especially the larger constrictors and venomous species. I had a venomous license when I was younger and admittedly did some pretty stupid things like lap holding unrestrained Rattlers and Cobras (Things I would never do today).

I am glad you survived, the snake was saved and has a nice home. Spraying ammonia is just cruel and I am glad she fought back.

Luckily my weird experiences were never life threatening just those unexpected encounters of a big hiss and slither. lol Snakes in a wood pile, sneaking up on you in the water and the friendly baby python that escaped and decided to nap with me in my bed. It all started with Rosie, the class boa. She decided that day to take me and my desk on an adventure. She wrapped around me and the desk. Then proceeded to climb the storage closet. She lifted me and the desk off the floor. Rosie was a strong girl. She was really gentle but after that day, I decided I liked her best in the tank. I am convinced she knew I was keeper of the mice fed to her and was trying to take me to them. lol