The Reptile Room: A Thread for the Reptile Lovers & Herpetoculturists of VaporTalk

After a group of us reptile fanatics recently hijacked a thread in one of the main forums, I must first apologize to the rest of the forum on behalf of the reptile community. We can be pretty passionate about our pets, projects, and collections!!! Above all, we feel strongly enough about our pets to share the love with everyone we possibly can. Therefore I am starting our own thread just for us Reptile Enthusiasts!!! Post up your pics, projects, field trips, and questions for all of us in the reptile community here on VaporTalk. All I ask is that no one troll here. We do understand that some people are either afraid, or not as accepting, nor tolerant of exotic pets as we are. However, comments which are insulting, negative, derogatory, or otherwise offensive to our pets or our hobby WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. Such inflammatory posts (ie: "Squish it!!!," or "That would make a nice purse / boots / belt.") will be reported for removal. Have fun, and Happy Herping!!!!

I'll start with a few of my favorite things: "Splat" - female crested gecko I produced in 2011 post-18408-136471223972_thumb.jpg "Pumpkin" - female crested gecko I produced in 2011 post-18408-136471237471_thumb.jpg "Kitten" - my first crestie. Male, and will be paired with the two females above post-18408-136471247617_thumb.jpg Another good pic of Pumpkin post-18408-136471254687_thumb.jpg

Edited by CascadianExotics

Carpet Pythons: Male Irian Jaya (the one in my avatar) post-18408-136471290694_thumb.jpg Male Striped Ivory Jungle...This pic is when I first got him. He's about 7-feet now, and one of my finest!!! post-18408-136471301032_thumb.jpg Female Jungle (Will Leary line) post-18408-136471314328_thumb.jpg Female Diamond x Jungle...we call her Pandora, because you don't want to open het box, and figure out what evil lurks inside, LOL!!! post-18408-136471320215_thumb.jpg

Oh my gosh, the geckos are so cute! I don't know why I never thought of them as pets before. Are they hard to care for?

No, they aren't hard to care for at all. Adults can be kept in a vertically-oriented 10-gallon aquarium (a 20-gallon high would be preferable) with a screen front. Line the cage with paper towels to make cleaning easier.

Mist daily (twice daily for arid regions), feed every other day to every two days. They eat a powdered diet that you mix with water. This diet costs around $20 per pound. However, they eat so little that a pound of food feeds 10 geckos for about four to six months.

Currently, I have two males available for sale. I might be breeding this year, but I wouldn't get a hatch for at least four or five months from now.

Thanks for the thread idea and the pictures Steve, they're all amazing!

I got a bit of good reptile news a few minutes ago. I looked outside and saw that one of my box turtles has come out of hibernation. Kinda appropriate for Easter, right? It's always stressful for me until all 5 of them show up again.

Boas: Female Brazilian Rainbow Boa....quite possibly my favorite genus of all boids. If I could only breed one type of snake, this would be it!!! One more year to go until both of our BRBs will be ready to breed!!! post-18408-136475676354_thumb.jpg Hypomelanistic BCI male....really wish I had the room to breed this species. This guy is nothing but a big sweetheart!!! post-18408-136475684504_thumb.jpg Female High-Pink Dumerils...one of our favorite Boas!!! This one will be bred once she gets big enough to be paired with our 7-foot male. post-18408-136475701862_thumb.jpg

Other Pythons: The Bumblebee Project....female Pastel Ball Python on the left, male Spider Ball on the right post-18408-136475870776_thumb.jpg Albino Burmese Python female...she's only about 1 1/2 years old now, and a bit larger than pictured here. But, she's gonna get HUGE on us in the next year, LOL!!! post-18408-136475892517_thumb.jpg Female Irian Jaya Carpet Python....this one will be bred to the male in post #3 come this fall. post-18408-1364759039_thumb.jpg Female Ivory Jungle carpet python post-18408-136475911212_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey I didnt know this thread existed! I am a huge herp enthusiast! I was a partner in a wholesale herp supply company in my younger days called Mid South Herpetological Supply and have had about every non venomous and many venomous species available in the pet trade. Currently I am out of the trade but everyone in town knows me and my son has the bug too. He is 8 years old. He currently has an Amelanistic Corn Snake, a Piebald Ball Python, an albino tangerine Honduran Milk, and an ornate Box Turtle. All were the result of rescue. Animal Control knows me and has me on speed dial when an exotic is abandoned in apartments, dorms, and rental houses-foreclosures and I take them, ensure they are healthy and eating, and re-home them. In the last year we have relocated over 50 specimens of variousherps. A lot of bearded dragons, Ball and Burmese pythons, and corn snakes (kinda boring standard stuff) but included was also a 4' albino eastern diamondback, a 5' albino monacled cobra, and a gaboon viper all illegally owned. I let my venomous certification expire at the end of last year just because I do not want to take those risks any more but I know the people at a somewhat local herp zoo-venom extraction facility and I utilize them now when there is a venomous species involved. All venomous species are now housed at Kentucky Reptile Zoo and are part of the venom extraction program. You might follow them on Facebook, very good people.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kentucky-Reptile-Zoo/282054578695?fref=ts

Just thought I would share. The ones we kept are those my son absolutely fell in love with, especially his Piebald Ball Python named Burt, except the HUGE 5.5' Amelanistic Corn Snake that has the nastiest attitude of any Colubrid I have ever had. I figured it best he stay with me, plus he is fun and puts on quite the show for friends and guests lol.

I'm glad this thread came back around! I've been wondering how ninjabatgirl's baby beardies have been doing. I got a new addition to my turtle family recently. I now have a 4 - 5 year old Russian Tortoise. He's beautiful! Since he can live up to 60 years, I have been calling my daughter his godmother! ;)

Upload away!!! Please!!! I can't be the only one with critter pics, LOL!!! @Lyrical : That's cute!! The only animal we have that will outlive us is our African Grey parrot, and we aren't intending on breeding him. Also been wondering about the Bat-Beardie-Babies, myself....haven't seen either of them on recently. Maybe the thread resurrection will bring them out of their Bat Cave. :p

• 2 months later...

Giving this thread a bump, as im almost finished with the rodent room, and am hella proud to be so close to self-sufficient with my snakes!!!

Posted Image

Also, just adding a couple quick pics:

Mature Male B. albopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair)

Posted Image

And, I've never seen one of my geckos react like this to anybody...until my friend Jody showed up, lol

Posted Image

(Yes, that is my vape box in the background...)

I have to find a better mouse supplier. This $3 each at Petco is getting expensive. Both our good pet stores that bred and froze their own have now closed :-(

I need to just set up a couple breeding colonies. All I would need is a couple 10gallons and a grow out enclosure. I used to have dozens when we had our shop bank in the early 90s.

Cascadianexotics, where to get those geckos in the OP? They're adorable, lol. I've never seen them at a pet store though. I want one of those, a chameleon, and a bearded dragon eventually. And depending on how I like those, I'd love to get an iguana eventually.

Edited by Grant951

Cascadianexotics, where to get those geckos in the OP? They're adorable, lol. I've never seen them at a pet store though. I want one of those, a chameleon, and a bearded dragon eventually. And depending on how I like those, I'd love to get an iguana eventually.

Well, go to the forums at Pangea. I probably won't be breeding them much more, as EVERYBODY and their mother is breeding them.

Chameleons are hard to keep, BTW. And iguanas can become severely aggressive if not constantly worked with. Stick with the beardies and crested geckos, lol