Is A Mod A Mod?

mcquinn

A "Mod" was any alteration to the vaping set up (back in the day when we only had the 510 and 901) or make your own (i.e. box mod).

so, I guess if you look at the original definition of a 'Mod'......never mind....its making my head hurt. By the original definition, everything I own is a 'Mod'.....

I think there are seven classifications ,small battery off the rack ,big battery off the rack Variable voltage off the rack ,variable power off the rack ,low voltage passthrough ,high voltage passthrough and hand built kind of rare mods.So I suppose box and tube mods would for the most part not be mods as they are pretty standard anymore.

Edited by mcquinn

Any time I can buy a battery - rather buy or make a 'pack' - it's "normal".

otoh, if you consider D, C, AA, and A "normal", then only half my stuff is that.

I'd still call a "mod[ification]" something not done via assembly-line. Revision? Fine. Version X? ok.

If I make something, it's a "mod" - anything Mamu has done, or Breaktru - those are "mods".

• 1 month later...

When we say "mod" it is modification, making or modifying something from factory release.

I have read people calling a Screwdriver a or Silver Bullet a mod,but they roll off an assembly line and usually are not further modified .

I have read people calling a Screwdriver a or Silver Bullet a mod,but they roll off an assembly line and usually are not further modified .

They modded the 510 connector. :D

Mods are made by modders. Modders for many years have bought things like flashlights, battery boxes, emergency chargers, plumbing pipe/fittings etc and repurposed them. The PVs made in factories are not mods, nothing has been repurposed, nothing has been modded/modified, they come that way.

It's the same thing with the catch phrase 'pass through' which has come to mean any PV with an in-built charger. Does Joye make an eGo pass through or PT? Nope. Look it up they make a Joye eGo USB battery, no where do they claim it to be a pass through, which makes sense cuz it's not.

It's the same thing with the catch phrase 'pass through' which has come to mean any PV with an in-built charger. Does Joye make an eGo pass through or PT? Nope. Look it up they make a Joye eGo USB battery, no where do they claim it to be a pass through, which makes sense cuz it's not.

You still banging that drum Will :D

A mod to me is not a vaping-specific term, so I've never really jived with the vaping community's inclination to co-opt it for their own definition. A mod is any user-modification of a product or device from its stock form. To that end, a Vivi Nova on a Provari is not a "mod" per se, any more than say a Mesa/Boogie amplifier head on a Marshall 4x12 speaker cabinet is a mod. Compatible products mass produced by different companies being used together does not constitute modification in my mind. Something like the Kick could be considered a mod in the typical sense, because it modifies a component of a single product, but I still wouldn't call the Silver Bullet it's used in a mod itself. This is just me, but I tend to opt for the word "device" or PV when describing these things we use.

Heh, dig the musician gear reference. Speaking of which, my Galien Krueger combo amp crapped out on me at band practice on Sunday. Clearly, this hasn't been my week for **** working right. lol

I tend to reduce everything back to music gear references. :) Sorry to hear about your amp!

I see you're in Columbus, OH. My band plays with a lot of Columbus bands when they come through here on tour and stuff. Ever hear of Lo-Pan or Before The Eyewall?

Edited by soso

I feel like Before the Eyewall sounds familiar. I'll google em. Columbus's local music scene has grown a lot recently, so a ton of really good bands have sprung up over that last couple years. Right now I'm in 2 groups, an original and a cover band. Playin out is just so much fun, and the cover band pays suprisingly well to boot. It's a lot harder to get ppl to come hear an original group playing songs they don't know.

The guys at the shop said it's probably either a blown fuse or just something needs resoldered, in which case it would only be a $40 fix or so. Hopefully they're right. The thing takes quite a bit of abuse b/c i'm movin it around constantly with 2 practices a week and 3-4 gigs a month.

Well I hope your amp issue is a cheap fix!

We tend to be a first-call for bands on Small Stone that come through here - you should check out their roster. It's a cool label and seems to really support their touring bands.