Screw My Christmas Huh?

So here we are about 8 weeks from Christmas. I find out my employer is cutting back production due to low sales. What that means for me is at least two weeks off without pay. There maybe more but only two weeks have been announced so far. I guess that's how we are repaid for the holidays. Thank you. I know this has no bearing on vaping in any way. Just my rant...sorry you just wasted two minutes reading this.

I had an employer who would lay off every yeay at Thanksgiving then recall us after the first of the year.Really bites.I used to go to the temp. agencies and do what ever they had.Made a lot of contacts and learned a lot of skills and was way better than being at home with no monies to fix all the broken crap I would be staring at.

Just really frustrated. I am planning on starting college soon using my gi bill from the military. I think this economy is going to force me to do it sooner than later. The only drawback to that plan is losing health insurance. We'll see. I can make decent money while in school but it would not be possible to maintain the full time job that I currently work do to rotating night schedule. Thank you all for the encouragement.

If you're starting college soon have you checked to see if there's a clinic on site? I know it's not the same as health insurance but it's something. Many colleges and Universities that do have clinics have the fees set into the student fees so you won't have to pay when you see the doc, get low cost tests, discounts on prescriptions... it's worthwhile to check it out.

Just a thought.

Good luck with school!

I'm covered through the VA. I have a wife and two children that are losing the coverage. I know they will qualify for our state medicaid which may be our best bet for the three years I'm in school. I hate taking handouts in any fashion but I will probably bite the bullet and take it for now. I've worked and paid taxes for the last ten years so I think it will be ok. Once I get out of school I should in theory make double what I currently make. I'm sure they will get their money back plus much more.

All your working life you've paid into Medicaid. Now, you're taking some of it out. Once you graduate and get a job making more, paying more, you'll pay back what you take out while you're in school. That's not taking any "handouts" in my book.

You say that you're covered through the VA, which means you were in the military. I just want to say thank you.

I know they will get their money back without question. My family is healthy but kids are just kids they have to go to the Dr at some point. I was in the USMC for four years. I would be in today had I not messed up my right foot. They stop caring about you when they feel you're not up to par. That's another story all together though.

You're a Vet - you've more than earned anything you're able to get. I know the feeling about not wanting handouts, but you're working to better yourself and improve your life for you and your family. No shame in that. GI Bill and Pail Grants paid for my college (and a small student loan). Fortunately, I didn't have a family when I got out of the service, so I didn't have many worries.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been laid of over 2 weeks. And they decided to take my foodstamps too. I pay bills and I have little to nothing left when I do get paid. But yet they still took my foodstamps. I guess it is because I didn't give them the info or receipts to the bills I paid.