Direct Dripping Questions

Tam

Got some Joyetech 510 B type attys for direct dripping. So many people here recommended them so much for better tasting the e-liquids that it got me curious. I'm looking at you, Kitsune. :)

Now I have some questions. Sometimes when I'm drawing on it the thing makes a gurgling sound. There's only four drops of liquid in there. Am I doing something wrong? Drawing too hard? Do I need to wait a bit between dripping and taking a hit from it? How hard or softly do I draw from it? Does it matter?

Which atty (brand, ohm, whatever) do you prefer? I'm using this on the ego C twist. Would the 650 passthrough be a better battery choice? There are so many choices I'm really confused. :(

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to make this work. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

you should get several hits between fills. Gurgling means its flooded. What resistance are they?

1.5 -- that's all they had at the brick and mortar store I frequent. Would you suggest I use a different resistance? Which ones would be better?

I thought four drops would be okay and it shouldn't be flooded with that. :(

no 1.5ohms is fine, just wanted to know so i could give you the best advice. that's a lr atomizer and should only be used in between 3.2v or 4.2v, any higher and you'll either burn your mouth or your atty's coil will pop. a 1.5ohm atty on a 3.7v device (regulated or unregulated) is going to produce a solid, warm vape. so you can use either your standard ego or your twist, just don't go past 4v or so on your twist.

4 drips is fine, but you should be taking more than 1 hit in between fills is all i was saying. i usually get like 2 decent hits per drop if that helps. when i get a brand new atty i usually fill with like 5 drops, hit it 5 or 6 times and add another 2 drops or so. take another 4 or 5 hits and refill with 2 or 3 drops, and so on and so forth. that's how it works for me anyways.

you may want to look in to a drip shield at some point. right now just get used to dripping though. it's all a learning curve, what works for one person may not work for the next.

no 1.5ohms is fine, just wanted to know so i could give you the best advice. that's a lr atomizer and should only be used in between 3.2v or 4.2v, any higher and you'll either burn your mouth or your atty's coil will pop. a 1.5ohm atty on a 3.7v device (regulated or unregulated) is going to produce a solid, warm vape. so you can use either your standard ego or your twist, just don't go past 4v or so on your twist.

4 drips is fine, but you should be taking more than 1 hit in between fills is all i was saying. i usually get like 2 decent hits per drop if that helps. when i get a brand new atty i usually fill with like 5 drops, hit it 5 or 6 times and add another 2 drops or so. take another 4 or 5 hits and refill with 2 or 3 drops, and so on and so forth. that's how it works for me anyways.

you may want to look in to a drip shield at some point. right now just get used to dripping though. it's all a learning curve, what works for one person may not work for the next.

Probably should've noted that I was using the twist at the lowest setting in the original post. Sorry for the omission.

Once I drip the juice in I usually hit it until I get a slight burny taste like I read in other threads. Am I hitting it too often?

Thanks for the advice, Blu! I'll give that a try. :)

that's perfect, the more you use it the more you'll notice when the flavor is starting to diminish and know that it's time to fill again, that way you can eliminate dry hits all together. like i said everybody has their own methods, so just because i get 2 hits per drop doesn't mean you will. you may get 3, you may get 1. just try a few different things and find out what works for you :)

Once you get it flooded you can blow it out to remove the liquid trapped between the pot the element is in and the battery connector.If you get some liquid in there it will pretty much stay there and gurgle forever.Shouldn't hurt anything though.

Once you get it flooded you can blow it out to remove the liquid trapped between the pot the element is in and the battery connector.If you get some liquid in there it will pretty much stay there and gurgle forever.Shouldn't hurt anything though.

Thanks for the tip! I think I prefer the non-gurgling types :)

sounds like you are getting the hang of it, good advice above.

For me personally, I use 4-5 drops on a new atomizer to prime it, then I only add 2 drops at a time. It can be easy to flood. I mostly drip at home so I don't mind having to redrip more often.

I like dripping with any 510 LR or 306. Lavatube at 4.8V or any of my many ego batts.

If its still gurgling....time to start over. use the corner of a paper towel or kleenex, push into the open end of the atomizer and let sit for a couple minutes. prime with 4 drops, vape. add a couple more drops when the vapor begins to die off. make sure to wipe down the atomizer and battery contacts too.

It just takes a bit of practice, but, for me, nothing else has been able to beat the flavor with dripping. Tanks and clearomizers are great for the first hour or so, then the flavor dies off.

Glad your giving it a try.....what do you think so far?

sounds like you are getting the hang of it, good advice above.

For me personally, I use 4-5 drops on a new atomizer to prime it, then I only add 2 drops at a time. It can be easy to flood. I mostly drip at home so I don't mind having to redrip more often.

I like dripping with any 510 LR or 306. Lavatube at 4.8V or any of my many ego batts.

If its still gurgling....time to start over. use the corner of a paper towel or kleenex, push into the open end of the atomizer and let sit for a couple minutes. prime with 4 drops, vape. add a couple more drops when the vapor begins to die off. make sure to wipe down the atomizer and battery contacts too.

Glad your giving it a try.....what do you think so far?

I think I've been doing it wrong. This "priming" thing, if I didn't prime it first, would that be the cause of a funky, slightly chemical taste coming from each draw? It wasn't the flavor I was anticipating after hearing so much about getting the "true flavor" of juices from dripping, lol!

Also, if I'm using this to try new flavors, how would you keep one flavor from mixing with another? Should I use new atomizers for each flavor, dry burn between flavors (should I dry burn at all?), or can I wash it out?

See? Still many questions, but I'm still trying. I hate admitting defeat and I'm seeing this now as a challenge. :) Apologies are given in advance for the many, many questions I ask!

Aaaand I just thought of a dumb question: the "drip tip" got its name because you can drip directly into it without having to take the thing off every time you want to put more drops in, is that right? Do you use the stock tip that or do you have a different one that works better for you?

Iv been trying dripping on the standard ego c Atty and it didn't really work good. I added 3 drops, not much vapor and taste like crap. Any suggestions? I removed the Spike and dripped right on the element.

I've been playing around with all the suggestions above and so far what seems to work for me is that I prime the atty with four drops. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then take a hit. That seems to take the awful taste out of the equation and more of the actual taste of the liquid comes through. After a few hits and the taste isn't as strong I put in one or two more drops. Wait. Then hit. That seems to work for both the ego C twist and the 650 pass through so far. It's been quite a learning curve... :)

Sometimes a new attie needs old funky primer liquid blown out first or you will get a funky vape till its gone.If the flavors are not too dissimilar you can just go from one to another.Cleaning is required for extreme changes.I use drip tips or cut down carts on 510's and I just reuse the blank cart that comes on 306's.How many drips is kind of like what tastes good.Some bottles make bigger drops than others.Just keep at it and you will find your groove.

Sometimes a new attie needs old funky primer liquid blown out first or you will get a funky vape till its gone.If the flavors are not too dissimilar you can just go from one to another.Cleaning is required for extreme changes.I use drip tips or cut down carts on 510's and I just reuse the blank cart that comes on 306's.How many drips is kind of like what tastes good.Some bottles make bigger drops than others.Just keep at it and you will find your groove.

How do you clean an atty? I've been going back and forth between two. The one I'm not using, I've put in a corner of a tissue and let it soak up the e-liquid like Kitsune said to do.

With everyone's help here I'm slowly getting the hang of this dripping thing. :)

everyone cleans an atty differently. some people use PGA (pure grain alcohol). i always just used scalding hot water, not boiling just really hot water from the sink. i'd rinse them underneath the water for a minute or so, blow it out then rinse again. then set out to dry overnight. then go to use again the following day.

5 or 6 drops to prime the atty, puff it a few times, add 2 drops and repeat with the 2 drops method. mcquinn is right, almost all atty's have "break in" periods where you may not get the best vape. i wouldn't clean them yet if i were you. some of the primer fluid that comes in atty's from the factory just doesn't taste all that great.

everyone cleans an atty differently. some people use PGA (pure grain alcohol). i always just used scalding hot water, not boiling just really hot water from the sink. i'd rinse them underneath the water for a minute or so, blow it out then rinse again. then set out to dry overnight. then go to use again the following day.

5 or 6 drops to prime the atty, puff it a few times, add 2 drops and repeat with the 2 drops method. mcquinn is right, almost all atty's have "break in" periods where you may not get the best vape. i wouldn't clean them yet if i were you. some of the primer fluid that comes in atty's from the factory just doesn't taste all that great.

I think I finally got over the hump on the break in period because what I'm getting now is the "pure flavor" everyone keeps talking about. Thanks to everyone's advice I stuck with it. :thumbsup:

It seems like cleaning an atty and cleaning the clearomizers isn't any different. I think I'll go with how you do it and use hot water, probably boiled first then set to cool a bit. Thanks!

i'm not familiar with the c atty at all, but if i remember reading correctly there were some issues with dripping on to an ego c atty even if you remove the spike. i would definately suggest getting a lr 510 atty. however, i'm not an ego guy and i'm sure others here will have more to say about it.

510 or 306 seem to work best for dripping. sorry, not at all familiar with the ego c. I don't see why dripping with it wouldn't work.....Primer may still be an issue.

There is definitely a learning curve. I am very glad you stuck with it.

Sounds like you ran into some primer on the atty....not a pleasant flavor. When starting a new atty, I usually just use the paper towel method to remove any excess primer. Can even use compressed air to blow it out. I make sure to have the paper towel pushed into the atty first to avoid damage to the bridge or coil.

If I am testing flavors, I clean the atty between flavor changes....I only use the paper towel to remove excess liquid, works great for me. boiling or washing them never seemed to make much difference for me.

If I am just switching flavors, I use the same atty. Most of my flavors are pretty compatible.

most any drip tip will work, they do make dripping a bit easier. I prefer this type: http://www.ecigexpress.com/drip-tips-c-30/510-901-drip-tip-nickel-plated-type-2-p-426

questions are always good, Its how we learn. ask away !!!! besides, questions help others too. :yes

Thanks for being so patient with me and all my millions of questions, Kitsune!

Now that I've finally gotten to where I'm getting real flavor without... whatever it was I was tasting before, I'm really glad I stuck with this. The flavor of the Kona Cream from Sweet-Vapes really comes out. Yum! Like you suggested I'm keeping the coffee flavored ones to one atty and the desert flavors in another. That way, even if there's a little flavor left over it all mixes nicely. :)

When I bought the atty at the brick and mortar store, I was told to blow out the primer (just some gentle puffs), but I'm guessing that I didn't get enough out before starting. That was... yuck! lol.

Went to the store you linked to and ordered some different types of drip tips to see which one(s) will work better for me. The only one that was there at the store where I bought the attys is... okay, but it's hard for me to get it off when changing attys. I've heard somewhere that metal tips make it easier for the juice to slide in with less chance of sucking any into your mouth. Do you find it to be true?

Edited by Tameiki

I do seem to prefer the metal tip, but I have a couple of the black ones that work well too. for me its the wider mouth piece that I like. the narrower ones seem to trap some of the liquid and gets back into my mouth.

with dripping, I try to keep the atty end elevated a bit, keeps the liquid from pooling in the drip tip.

sometimes you will get leakage between the battery and atomizer, for me, I just wipe down the threads and reattach. some use the drip shields http://www.empiremods.com/product_p/emegodrip.htm , these ones work with ego type batteries.

I'm just glad you stuck with it. Many people hate the hassels of dripping, but when I'm just hanging out at home, I enjoy being able to fully taste my flavors.

Congrats on becoming a dripper :animier:

I do seem to prefer the metal tip, but I have a couple of the black ones that work well too. for me its the wider mouth piece that I like. the narrower ones seem to trap some of the liquid and gets back into my mouth.

I'm just glad you stuck with it. Many people hate the hassels of dripping, but when I'm just hanging out at home, I enjoy being able to fully taste my flavors.

Congrats on becoming a dripper :animier:

Wow. Who would've thought that an innocent link could bring about so much damage to my wallet! :laughs: I have a drip shield/cone/thingy but don't care much for it. It could be just me, but when it's on, the vapor seems warmer than I like so I just leave the atty nekkid. But the drip tips on that site... I just ordered one metal, one stainless steel and one glass drip tip. Can't wait 'til they get here to try them out.

Now that I seem to have a handle on this dripping thing I'm really glad I stuck with it. The difference in taste is just amazing! So... when do I get my sooper sekrit dripper-decoder ring? :lol: