New Here! Have A Few Questions About Ecigs

Glittered

Good Morrning to you all. My name is Courtney and I am new here. My sister is a firm believer in the ecigs and gave me a kit to start me off last night. It was amazing...Just like a regular cig.

My questions are: Can you just puff off it all day long? With a "real" cigarette I would have one which seemed to last 2 minutes. Do you forum members treat an ecig the same? Still learning, please advise. Is a itchy throat at first common and temporary? And loose stools as well?

I just want to make sure I am going through the normal changes. And being a female I wonder about weight gain. Sometimes I think that is why I wasn't able to give cigs up because last time I did I gained a lot of weight....over 50 lbs!! Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Itchy or dry throat is common and drinking or sipping any kind of fluids while vaping will help with this until you adjust to it.

You can puff on your e-cig all day long if you want to or a few puffs and put it away for a while or use it and still smoke regular cigs on the side. The only thing you have to watch out for is not to have too much nicotine build up in your system. Symptoms include headaches and higher nic dependency so take it easy. In my opinion 24mg e-liquid gives as much nic puff for puff as a STRONG cig so if you are going to vape more often than you smoke you should go lower. It is my understanding that nicotine has a half-life of a half hour so if you chain smoke or chain vape nicotine can reach undesirably high levels. Nicotine is really not a major health issue when kept low.

I'm sure that more helpful hints will follow. Welcome to Vapor Talk. :)

Welcome !!

Lots of different changes come from quitting smoking and beginning vaping. both symptoms are pretty normal.

LIke mike said, drink or sip more water, juice, whatever.

The loose stools can be from the PG or VG in the e-liquid or a side affect of not smoking.

I think most of us vape all day long. When you go out to smoke you smoke the whole cigarette--how ever many drags that may be. with vaping you take a drag intermittently all day.

How much did you smoke?

Like Kitsune said, when you smoke, you'd take 10-15 drags over the course of a few minutes. With vaping, i prefer 1 or 2 drags every few minutes, but I pretty much vape all day long. I'll go an hour or so without if i'm out running errands or making dinner or whatever, but you get my point. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and like Mike said, just listen to your body and make sure you don't overdo it. If you're getting headaches and feel your heart beating fast, back off for awhile. And also drink lots of water. I don't mind repeating this a million times because to me, it's very important.

Welcome !!

Lots of different changes come from quitting smoking and beginning vaping. both symptoms are pretty normal.

LIke mike said, drink or sip more water, juice, whatever.

The loose stools can be from the PG or VG in the e-liquid or a side affect of not smoking.

I think most of us vape all day long. When you go out to smoke you smoke the whole cigarette--how ever many drags that may be. with vaping you take a drag intermittently all day.

How much did you smoke?

Thank you very much for your help.....I smoked about a pack a day...More when I drink alcohol. I find that with an ecig you can just hit off it all day long. I have increased water intake and that helps a lot. As I am still learning the ropes I have only gotten info from the person who gave it to me to try. The filter itself says 16 on it. I am using the South Beach Smoke kit, which I like very much and it's the only one I have tried. I find tons of info on line about all the differnt makes and models and there is a ton of info as well. So I will stick to this one until I get more educated.

Should I put the plastic coverings back over the filter when I recharge the batteries? As I got this second hand I am not sure. I don't know the lingo yet but am learning that as well..Thanks again, I am glad this forum is here!

you don't need to cover the cartomizer (filter) while the battery is charging. it looks like you have a 2 piece unit-battery + cartomizer (atomizer and cartridge combined).

are you only using their prefilled cartomizers or are you using eliquid to refill them? learning to refill them will save you tons of money, plus you can try different strengths and flavors.

When you are ready to try something new....Highly recommend the ego batteries 650(smallest)- 1000+ Mah. The higher the Mah the longer the battery will last between charges.

I also recommend trying the ego vision clearomizers, very easy to use and refill.

http://www.ecigbestsave.com/Joye-eGo-Kit-p/j.htm This site has ego starter kits and the clearomizers.

The advantage to making the switch is versatility...the ego batteries are compatible with any 510 products...atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer and tanks. makes it easier to shop around, most vendors carry these products.

• 2 months later...

Like twins, we tend to consider tobacco and nicotine as one-and-the-same. Let's separte them. Understanding Nicotine: Nicotine is a natural product of tobacco. When a cigarette is smoked, it releases many chemical messengers- neurotransmitters- such as acetylcholine, norepinephrine, vasopressin, histamine, arginne, serotonin, dopamine, autocrine agents, beta-endorphin and other tongue twisters that are responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Effects that are, in fact, positive. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration, memory, alertness and arousal, reduces pain and anxiety, extends the duration of positive effects, and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.

There is evidence that nicotine itself has the potential to prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease, has been shown to delay the onset of Parkinson's disease, has a mild laxative effect reducing symptoms of ulcerative colitis, and reduces the chance of breast cancer among women carrying the very high risk BRCA gene. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs as its profile changes from sedative to pain killer to stimulant in increasing dosages. Therefore, when using the E-Cig, the effect upon your system will depend on how much you "puff" but if you'll follow the advice given by other members, you'll have no problem. Nicotine does not induce weight gain.

Contrary to popular belief, nicotine does not cause cancer and is not a known carcinogenic. In cigarettes, cancer is caused over a long period of time due to smoke inhalation and the burning of various carcinogenic chemicals. In fact, while tobacco and nicotine have been used for centuries, lung cancer was unknown until the invention of the machine rolled cigarettes in the late 19th century. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has not evaluated nicotine in its standalone form or assigned it to an official carcinogen group. And, technically, nicotine itself is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. But beware the word "significantly;" a word often used in the political arena and therefore highly suspect. Of course we become addicted to E-Cigs if for no other reason than the pleasure derived from them. But, unarguably, and until the medical society proves otherwise, it's a far, far safer -and cheaper- addiction than cigarettes. Enjoy yourselves.

As a female I think the main thing I saw in your topic was the weight gain inquiry. lol!! I've been vaping for about 3 yrs now and have not gained any weight in relation to vaping (only due to my change in jobs from being extremely active to sitting on my booty in a call center....STAY AWAY FROM THOSE!! not the e-cig!! lol!)

But yes, like most have pointed out, vaping can dehydrate you...so unless you drink water to compensate you may experience a little bloating. WATER WATER WATER!! but that's just life =]=]

• 2 weeks later...

As a female I think the main thing I saw in your topic was the weight gain inquiry. lol!! I've been vaping for about 3 yrs now and have not gained any weight in relation to vaping (only due to my change in jobs from being extremely active to sitting on my booty in a call center....STAY AWAY FROM THOSE!! not the e-cig!! lol!)

But yes, like most have pointed out, vaping can dehydrate you...so unless you drink water to compensate you may experience a little bloating. WATER WATER WATER!! but that's just life =]=]

WAIT! I work in a call center too! Damn it! LOL

As to you'r question "can I puff on it all day long?" Yes you can (as long as your battery holds out) I was a 3 pack a day smoker and I tend to vape as much as I use to smoke with no problems. My attys don't last as long as my wife's, but she smoked 1/2 pack a day and vapes aboutthe same.

• 4 months later...

Courtney, I hope you continue to progress with the E-Cig. They are a bit of a hassle getting used to because there are so many variables out there. The number of "toys" offered is incredible. Forget the gadgets and stick to basics. Refilling your cartridges is, in fact, a very economical alternative to buying replacements. However, you'll soon tire of the routine, so continue with the cartridges for use in public because they look like a cigarttte, and step up to a "drip tip" or clearomizer for around the house or job. Since day one, I have purchased my clearomizers from "Century 21 Smoking" at $3.99 each and they perform immaculately.I also use their batteries. You'll see myriad videos on "How to clean your atomizer, your cartridge, etc." They need cleaning because of the myriad flavors offered that leave a sugary film. I've never had to clean anything simply because I prefer a straight tobacco flavor. If I want strawberry, I'll head for Baskin & Robbins. Our goal is to feed the addiction, which we do with the nicotine, and then the habit, which we do by emulating the mechanics of holding, handling and puffing on an analog. If you were a heavy smoker, I'd stick with 18mg and then drop to 16mg. Hang in there; the rewards are well worth it.

Edited by Ricketts