Puresmoker Mod Blows Up

Jeffb

As far as I know, Radio Shack doesn't even sell 17670 batteries. I looked on there site, couldn't find any. Not a good place to buy batteries anyway. The article says the man bought the "proper" batteries at Radio Shack. Sounds like BS to me. Wonder what kind of battery the idiots at Radio Shack sold the man? I would think Radio Shack would be to blame. How could Puresmoker be to blame?

Edited by JayH503

OMG.. 8 days in the hospital? I hope he is ok now. Why would he buy batteries at Radio shack when he could get the "PROPER" batteries from the site he bought it from. Sounds like he WILL NOT win this law suit!! I am sure Radio Shack will be in court with this law suit soon.

Has anyone been to a radio shack lately? The 17 year old kid at the counter just says, "This should work," and sends you out the door.

Wow.

I feel bad for this guy, but knowledge is power and you should be using the batteries recommended for your unit. Period.

I doubt we are going to see this incident compared to a cell phone or other hand held device. I'd hate to see what would happen should you shove the wrong size battery in your iPhone. iExplode?

As a mod owner several times over, I'm no expert in electrical engineering, but I do my utmost to keep informed. Stories like this just piss me off. I'd rather have my face intact to vape another day than save a few bux on batteries.

If you aren't going to pay attention to the safety recommendations, just f*ing smoke.

He used radio shack batteries. Enercell. Dumbass.

He will lose the case because he did not purchase the proper batteries. No where on any site I have been on has there been a claim to buy batteries at Radio Shack.

Counterclaim my lawyer would say. ;)

Bams needs a BAM!!

This will be an interesting case. I wonder if there is a way to follow it? Even if Puresmoker prevails the cost of lawyers etc is gonna be big $

This kind of **** is going to kill the industry. It really urks me when I see articles like this because I know it's a matter of time before mass media picks it up and spins it faster than a dancer on a stripper pole. It's why I recommend units like the Pro Vari or Lava Tube to new users. They're idiot proof. Now, my heart goes out to the vaper that was injured, but here's what I think...

The Prodigy unit is a 3.7 volt unit. It states that the user purchased "batteries" I'm willing to bet he stacked non OEM batteries in order to obtain a higher voltage. (In a device not meant to be used over 3.7v) He wouldn't be the first to try this and it's scary how often this happens. I also wonder if the the vaper was using protected batteries.

If this was indeed the case, well what did you expect. If he was using correct batteries (which somehow I doubt) then the fault lies in the hands of Puresmoker. But I have a sneaking suspicion some battery "stacking" was going on here. If you purchase an $80 mod use fork out the money for the correct $11 batteries. And you do NOT try to stack batteries. Especially if safety measures are not in place.

If you buy a Mercedes requiring premium fuel and pour in some regular to saves a few pennies well...

By the way I wrote up a quick article on the front page here: http://www.vaportalk...are-not-a-joke/

Comments on this would be appreciated. I have a feeling if this story goes mainstream potential new users are going to be reading. It's important people know this is an unusual case.

If he was tampering with the device then it's a sad, sad story of people not being accountable for their actions. That being sad, right or wrong this is nothing new in world we live in. They say the only things in life guaranteed are death and taxes, I say it's death, taxes, and people being ******* morons. I liked an earlier comparison to this being like the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit.

Plenty of other industries (cell phones, computers, etc.) have to go through ridiculous sucurity measures to make sure their devices are completely idiot proof so that they don't get sued by some jerk that can't read directions. They've all had unfortunate incidents, and have taken bad publicity for it, but they just have to learn, react, and adapt their products & processes. It's unfortunate for all parties involved, but it's the nature of the beast, and hopefully in the long run the industry will be better of for it :-/

And again.. he used Enercell Batteries, Radio Shack branded batteries, not the proper batteries. So whether he stacked them or not is not the point. He claims he bought the proper batteries which is not possible because radio shack doesn't sell them. On PS's website it tells the buyer what batteries are recommended and radio shack batteries are not listed. Case closed. ;)

On a side not, I bought a PS Legacy today and I have no fears of it blowing up in my face, I got the proper batteries. ;) And it came with a Kick :)

Bams needs a BAM!!

If I were pure smoker the only settlement I would make is that Hahn pay me back for any attorney fees for this BS lawsuit.

sent from my ice cream sandwiched Samsung fascinate

That will never happen. Most likely thier liability insurance company will settle outta court rather than role the dice with a jury trial.

First, 123 batteries stacked in a tube mod = bad news. Don't do it.

Second, this is such a bullsh*t.

"d. Pure Enterprises failed to conduct reasonable tests and inspections and quality control of the Prodigy such that it was subject to exploding and catching fire as it did in this case.

52. As a direct and proximate result of Pure Enterprises’ negligence, Phillip Hahn suffered severe injuries."

Where does the responsibility of the consumer lie? Why is it not addressed anywhere in the court paperwork that Phillip Hahn chose to use the Prodigy with the incorrect batteries? Where does it say that Phillip Hahn failed to exercise reasonable care by obtaining the correct batteries to use with this unit?

I am truly sorry for what happened to this man, but the bottom line is that it boils down to personal responsibility. He made a choice to run a 3.7v mod at 6v.

The product user guide link on the Puresmoker.com site does not link to the usermanual. This could be seen as a very big red flag to both lawyers and to potential consumers.

Third, in my opinion, mod's are advanced user items. I would never recommend someone just starting on this path straight to ANY mod. Get an ego or a riva, get a blu, or anything sold at a kisok in the mall. Those items are basic plug and play.

Use your heads people, get informed, not blown up.