Difficulty Being A Noobie

Debbee

Hello fellow "noobies" (don't particularily care for that term but whatever) I have been struggling with Ecig vs. Analog for 3 weeks. There is no "concrete" information about the level of nicotine while vaping whatever mg you vape. This worried me, as a result, I know that if I smoke so many "analogs" I am safe but if I throw "vaping" into the mix I might get ill and actually threw up a couple of times - so, this is the main reason why I am still using analogs, to "modify" my nicotine intake. I also had severe throat burning on anything I tried to vape other than a fruit version, but ya know, as a menthol smoker it's just not cutting it. I decided today to just use my 18 mg juice and vape as often as I wanted and to stay away from the analogs and not worry about ALL OF THE MEDICAL INFORMATION NOT PROVIDED IN THE VAPING COMMUNITY as far as nicotine overdose. I have done "o.k." so far by trying this today but I really think that my question needs attention--"why is there no "clear-cut" information about how much nicotine one ingests from switching from analog to vape? I understand that vaping tastes a lot better, well, that means we may be taking in more nicotine than usual, especially since it is accepted in a lot of public places. I think the "vaping" endorsers should come out with some type of guide line as far as nicotine levels, this is just bad business and I personally do not want to gamble with my health even more.

If anyone has any information (not comments) about nicotine levels compared to analog, please reaspond to this. I'm sorry, I am trying very hard with the Ecig but this needs enlightenment.

"why is there no "clear-cut" information about how much nicotine one ingests from switching from analog to vape? The amount of nicotine intake when vaping depends on how much you vape. If you vape 1 ml of 18mg/ml a day, then you will get about 18 mg of nicotine a day. Your typical pack of analogs will have 20-40 mg of nicotine.

I think the "vaping" endorsers should come out with some type of guide line as far as nicotine levels, The e-juice you buy will be labeled with how many mg per ml it contains.

Most vapers are people who are looking for another way to get the nic fix and they will recomend you go with high nic level juice.I found out as you did it is better to go as small a level as you can get away with and just vape more often.I started with a medium level and worked down to low or no nic as fast as possible.During the stepdown process I kept a little higher nic just in case .Vaping is not smoking ,not even close ,as soon as you realise that and just accept it as an alternative the better you will be.No liquid tastes like burning tobacco leaves ,but there are a lot of very good flavored liquids that you will soon be looking forward to, and once you master the act of vaping you will be able to blow vapor rings and cloud up a room.Ther ecigg is an acceptable pacifier for the hand to mouth addiction a pacifier if will and the nicotine keeps the heebie jeebies away.Good luck and hang in there.You soon will be grossed out by the smell of stale smoke on peoples clothing and you will not want to go back to that.There is no telling how long we will have the access we have to this stuff as the FDA is trying every trick in the book to ban it so make the best use of it as you can while you can to beat your addiction to nicotine .

Maybe why there is more info on analogs than vaping is that people have been smoking for thousands of years(I looked it up on wikipedia. 5000-3000BC). Vaping is still in it's infancy. The barrage of clinical tests are just beginning now that it has become more popular. Nicotine on it's own is not that bad for you health wise in moderation. It's the other 4000+ chemicals that are in analogs and not vaping that should concern you most. Nicotine on it's own is about as dangerous as caffine. Granted, If you comsume it in mass quantities, it could be very dangerous just as if you consume caffine in mass quantities. A couple cups of coffee and you are fine. Drink a few pots though and you will find your heart ready to jump out of your chest. I wish I could tell you exactly how much nicotine is absorbed by vaping, but I'm not a scientist and don't have the info to pass on. All we as vapers can do is give you some suggestions on where you should start depending on our own experiences. I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs a day of camel light 99's. I now vape between 5-7ml's a day of 24mg nic level juice. I have never gotten nic sick.

Hello fellow "noobies" (don't particularily care for that term but whatever) I have been struggling with Ecig vs. Analog for 3 weeks. There is no "concrete" information about the level of nicotine while vaping whatever mg you vape. This worried me, as a result, I know that if I smoke so many "analogs" I am safe but if I throw "vaping" into the mix I might get ill and actually threw up a couple of times - so, this is the main reason why I am still using analogs, to "modify" my nicotine intake. I also had severe throat burning on anything I tried to vape other than a fruit version, but ya know, as a menthol smoker it's just not cutting it. I decided today to just use my 18 mg juice and vape as often as I wanted and to stay away from the analogs and not worry about ALL OF THE MEDICAL INFORMATION NOT PROVIDED IN THE VAPING COMMUNITY as far as nicotine overdose. I have done "o.k." so far by trying this today but I really think that my question needs attention--"why is there no "clear-cut" information about how much nicotine one ingests from switching from analog to vape? I understand that vaping tastes a lot better, well, that means we may be taking in more nicotine than usual, especially since it is accepted in a lot of public places. I think the "vaping" endorsers should come out with some type of guide line as far as nicotine levels, this is just bad business and I personally do not want to gamble with my health even more.

If anyone has any information (not comments) about nicotine levels compared to analog, please reaspond to this. I'm sorry, I am trying very hard with the Ecig but this needs enlightenment.

Most of us here who are vaping aren't doctors, therefore, I don't know how you expect the vaping community to deliver what you are looking for. :pc: A few here on VT are nurses. Though I'm not one of them, I am a teacher, and I do teach my students how to research. While Wikipedia may not have had the best marks in the past for their reputableness (yes, I'm aware that's not a word, but as an English major I make words up like the Bard), this information on nic toxicology is quite good.

If you scroll down a bit after Toxicology, there's some very interesting insight into nicotine's (gasp) therapeutic uses.

Links provided at that entry led me to an entry on electronic cigs. While ambiguous and not as thorough as I would like, it does have decent information.

If you are so worried about it, I'd talk to your doctor, not some folks on an internet forum. The vendors are not practicing bad business, in my opinion, by not suppling this information. It is up to the end user to do what feels comfortable for her/himself. The FDA is not (yet) regulating these devices. And I hope they don't, ever. They really turned cigarettes into quite a debacle.

Best of luck and I hope you find what works for you. :flower:

Edited by AimeeG

I'm not a doctor- but I don't smoke anymore- I vape. I couldn't believe I got rid of my 20 yr/ 2ppd habit that fast and so easy.

I vape hard and throughout most of the day on 20-24mg juice without issues. I was concerned at first, but accepted the answer that was "listen to your body". Your body will tell you if you've had enough or too much well before it becomes dangerous IMO. It sounds like you are afraid to try vaping instead of smoking because you don't know how much nicotine you are getting. If that's the case- don't let that be the reason, but rather listen to your body.

We, the vaping community, are guinea pigs per se- as vaping hasn't went through rigorous long term testing. (However, the ingredients have all been studied, ie PG, nicotine)

What should be apparent, is how much better you feel vaping vs smoking. That part was a no-brainer for me.

As far as I remember, there were no labels on chewing tobacco telling the consumer how much to use. I know I've had cigarette hangovers as well. My suggestion to vaping would be take as many pulls on it as need be when you are having a nicotine craving. Put it down when you get your "fix" if you are concerned. Your head isn't going to explode, and your heart will likely thank you for putting down the analogs.

Juice is another issue. Be prepared to buy sample sizes from different vendors until you find something that you like. Read/watch reviews, ask questions here or in the chat. You'll find the ones that work for you!

RE:I know that if I smoke so many "analogs" I am safe

....not even going to touch that one :rolleyes2: ...vape on!

Good luck and hang in there!

Maybe why there is more info on analogs than vaping is that people have been smoking for thousands of years(I looked it up on wikipedia. 5000-3000BC). Vaping is still in it's infancy. The barrage of clinical tests are just beginning now that it has become more popular. Nicotine on it's own is not that bad for you health wise in moderation. It's the other 4000+ chemicals that are in analogs and not vaping that should concern you most. Nicotine on it's own is about as dangerous as caffine. Granted, If you comsume it in mass quantities, it could be very dangerous just as if you consume caffine in mass quantities. A couple cups of coffee and you are fine. Drink a few pots though and you will find your heart ready to jump out of your chest. I wish I could tell you exactly how much nicotine is absorbed by vaping, but I'm not a scientist and don't have the info to pass on. All we as vapers can do is give you some suggestions on where you should start depending on our own experiences. I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs a day of camel light 99's. I now vape between 5-7ml's a day of 24mg nic level juice. I have never gotten nic sick.

Oh wow..I drink a couple pots of coffee a day and vape a lot. I am fine, I really am..just hyper sometimes..hehe..my coffee helps me to sleep and I find myself needing more nic then the 18 mg I am using now. I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker. (chain smoker) maybe that is the reason the 18 mg is not enough for me? I am trying to figure this stuff out too. but I am enjoying it.

Morfeeus, on 07 April 2011 - 08:21 PM, said: I now vape between 5-7ml's a day of 24mg nic level juice. I have never gotten nic sick.

when I was very young, I got nic poisoning from smoking Menthol Cigs. my mother almost killed me for it. Smoking is bad, vaping is not bad! Vape on guys! =)

Welcome Debbee. I googled "Electronic Cigarette Research" and this is just one of the many websites I found on the subject. http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/extra%20info/e-cigarette-safety.html#fears Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can download the research report. Pretty simple!

Good luck and I sincerely hope you are able to find what you are looking for. Should you decide that e-cigarettes can offer you an alternative to smoking analogs and you would like some help using them, we would be happy to share our experiences with you.

Good Luck!thumbsup.gif

I don't know about bad business practice. I'd be more concerned about the 3,000+ chemicals in my cigarette than the nicotine in e Cigs. But the attached PDF has a lot of information you might find helpful. Ruyan is the mother company that holds the patent for electronic cigarettes. See attached.

You get about 1 mg of nicotine per cigarette usually. (A single cigarette has about 2-4mg of nicotine I believe) But of course this depends on the cigarette and how much you smoke. (Same goes for how much you vape) There is no clear cut answer on how much nicotine you intake with a cigarette. So trying to find the same information on vaping will also lead to a none clear cut answer. It depends on each person.

Now E Liquid. A 10ml bottle that contains 24mg per milliliter contains a total of 240mg of nicotine. (Most people believe it's 24mg for the entire bottle) So if you've used say 5ml you've used about 120mg of nicotine total. :)

If the amount of nicotine concerns you, staying with a cigarettes is also an option. But I'd advice against it.

e-cigarette-safety-report.pdf

Dahhhhhhhhhmmmm :lol:

You vaping addict :D

I'm about the same. :o

I also have some 36mg juice from a local vender called Skull-N-Crossbones that I use everyday. I have not gotten sick yet.

My problem is I always have at least 4 devices ready to go. I'll use one until it get to hot or needs more juice, then I just switch to another.

I will put my two sense in. About two and a half weeks ago I got this delicious 24mg 30ml bottle of ry4 and it was the first time I had ever tried it so I vaped until the liquid got a little below the sticker on the bottle (it was a 30ml dekang bottle) in one day. I would drip vape then put it down get a glass of water or something like that and as soon as I got back I would drip then vape. I dont think I didnt have my ego in my hand for more than 5 or 10 min at the most throughout the day. By the end of the day I was not feeling good at all! I had a headache a stomach ache and was sweating a little even with my fan cranked up all the way. I would say if you have 24mg strength dont vape more than 3 ml a day but this is just my body and everyone has different tolerance levels. In my next order I ordered 18mg and found myself taking much longer drags to get the desired throat hit so I think I will stick to 24mg but not just constantly vaped all day.

Edited by turtle11c

Hot diggaty! vaping 5-7ml of 24mg??? I thought I was on the high end doing 2-3ml of 18mg/day. That's 169mg of nic a day vs 54mg..... sheesh.... me lightweight here. But that's ok.... I had already started tapering off the little ceegars I was smoking cuz they were switching from a buy one get one free to single cartons because of our very greedy state's high taxes on any (flavored) smokes. Don't let the nic levels scare ya, you'll find your zone quickly enuf. They're right, your body will find it's comfort level of nic and try to stay there. And you CAN taper down, from high to zero if ya want, I have a friend that's vaping 0 nic juice (Dr Pepper I think). So relax, pull up a chair to the fire and vape away.

Right up front...I'm sorry...but I'm going to say this. I've read your post several times and I keep seeing this..."I know that if I smoke so many "analogs" I am safe". Seriously? You think you are "safe" smoking analogs? I'm really sorry, but there is no way you are "safe" with analogs. If you vaped so much that you "actually threw up a couple of times", you were vaping way too much or a very, very high mg of nic. Why did you not back off if you were throwing up? I don't understand that. It makes no sense to me.

As far as..."ALL OF THE MEDICAL INFORMATION NOT PROVIDED IN THE VAPING COMMUNITY as far as nicotine overdose"...we are all taking a chance by vaping instead of smoking. We all made up our own minds and decided for ourselves that we were better off without all the extra chemicals that came with smoking. We have never claimed to be doctors, nor have we claimed to know all the answers. We just know that we feel better. But...several people have asked their doctors about vaping and were told it was much, much better. Most doctors are all for it. As far as I know, none of those doctors have given out written instructions about nicotine overdose. But I do think you could probably do some searching and find those answers for yourself if you really want them. I think that most of us have just "played it by ear" and decided what we needed and how much and how often. Since you do not seem to be comfortable with that, and you seem to be so terribly worried about how safe vaping is, and you seem to think that smoking is safe, perhaps you should visit your own doctor and get your answers there.

"I think the "vaping" endorsers should come out with some type of guide line as far as nicotine levels, this is just bad business and I personally do not want to gamble with my health even more." Really? I happen to think that the suppliers are doing an awesome job with the information they give out. They give you all the information needed to make an intelligent decision. You know exactly what ingredients are in the liquid. Do you know exactly what ingredients are in cigarettes? Do the companies who sell cigarettes give you the kind of information you think the vaping vendors should give?

I am curious if you went into this much detail and worry before you started smoking. Did you know (before you got all these answers to your post) exactly how much nicotine you were taking in while smoking? I never did. I never saw anything, anywhere, that told me how much nicotine I was taking into my system per cigarette. Did you know for a fact how many cigarettes you would have to smoke before you got nicotine poisoning? Where does it tell you how many cigarettes you have to smoke before you get cancer? I don't see that kind of information out there in ads or on cigarette packages. But you should read the warnings on all the "quit smoking" stuff they have out there...especially chantix. That stuff says outright that you may commit suicide if you use the stuff.

Most of us have tried all the different ways to quit smoking because we knew it wasn't good for us. It didn't work. That's why we chose to vape instead. For most of the people in this forum, vaping did work for us. We're all happy with our decision. We come to this forum to help out any of the new people who are looking for answers, because people helped us get started in the same way. We are here because we care and we want to help. We don't have all the answers, but we do the best we can. I know that everyone here would be willing to help you out all they can, but no one here has all the answers. Some things you just have to do yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do for yourself...be that smoking, or vaping.

Edited by nana

Quote: Most of us have tried all the different ways to quit smoking because we knew it wasn't good for us. It didn't work. That's why we chose to vape instead. For most of the people in this forum, vaping did work for us. We're all happy with our decision. We come to this forum to help out any of the new people who are looking for answers, because people helped us get started in the same way. We are here because we care and we want to help. We don't have all the answers, but we do the best we can. I know that everyone here would be willing to help you out all they can, but no one here has all the answers. Some things you just have to do yourself. End Quote.

I had no idea of all the health benefits of vaping until after I joined this forum. I knew that I needed to do something, because regular smoking was getting way too expensive on a monthly basis, when all I get is $700.00/month disability. We looked at the e cigs as probably being cheaper so we got some kits. My life partner has quit smoking totally, but I still smoked, in the house still even. Now, those that still smoke analogs have to go outside, or you can join me either with one of my kits or my hookahs. My partner wasn't happy for a while because I went way over my budget the first few months of vaping cuz I needed batts and cartos and juice for the differant kits I had. Then I found adaptors! yippeee! I can now use any batt with any carto, but I am finding I am getting the best flavor from the cartos geared for the batt it's intended for. Some juices do better with certain voltages and amperages. Finding the sweet spots for yourself is half the fun. Do read and try differant things, I did, and am happy with my choices. Don't be afraid, like I said before, your body will find its comfort level and you will keep it there by vaping whatever you settle on.