The Cost Of Vapeing Vs Analogs

ok, so in the almost three weeks that ive been vaping i spent over $50 on the device and cartos and about $60 on liquids... so far that puts me about -$5 from the cost of analogs that i would have purchased, now here is the problem, i need more cartos, i want a passthrough, and im sure im going to need to purchase back up equipment at some point, so all in all has anyone gotten to the point where they are actually saving money, and at what point will i have what i need and can focus only on replacing cartos and e liquids?

I don't know but your doing really good on the money side. I'm down around $1000 In my first 4 weeks. I have decided that I do have enough at this point LOL well I will have enough when the latest VK package comes . :thumbsup:

To the best of my knowledge, I have spent about $400 bucks on my ego, extra attys, cartomizers, a passthrough, extra battery, juice, just ordered a VapeMate...So, yeah, I have saved a couple of hundskys :whistle:

Edited by AARONH

Startup costs of vaping can exceed the price of analogs upfront, but you will recoup your losses rather quickly.

good thing its tax refund season then lol because im gonna be needing a few things!

oh and any help with a decent shopping list would be helpful, such as do i need a back up charger? batteries? i know i want the passthrough and a car adapter would be sweet, and the list goes on and on....

I keep looking at the hardware as investment dollars, I maybe laying out more upfront, but over some time the hardware remains and the cost equation begins the slow turn.

Truth be told, if this was a zero sum equation I would still be okay with it for the simple benefits of long term physical impact.

I am happy to report that I will be breaking even this week. (One month.) This includes standard 510 startup kit (2 battery) and a standard Riva kit (2 battery). I will have about 70mL of juice when this occurs. After this week, I plan on taking the $50/wk that I would have spent on smoking, and investing 1/2 in juice and the other to start saving. (Minus a couple of essentials... Another Riva starter kit for the extra batteries and charger and some more of those boss Cisco 306 LR attys, though I am still on the first one after 10 days.) When I get a good chunk I will show my wife a good time and she'll only have my vaping that "stupid looking thing" to thank. I am with ripple though. If it cost as much, I'd still do it.

That's really wonderful Thorne! You made wise purchases. I know I'm in deep, but the way I see it now is that Saving my life and quitting cigarettes only cost me $1000. It doesn't come close to the $165.000 my husband figures I've spent smoking. Or the thousands I have spent in medical bills because of lung disease caused by smoking. Pretty good deal actually.

You will start saving money at some point. Well, for the most part. Some people (and don't worry Brian and Uma, I won't mention your names) keep buying and buying. LOL If anyone tells you that I'm one of those people who keep buying, don't listen to them. :innocent: Just because I have more than one juice box mod on order means nothing. Nothing at all. LOL

Okay, seriously, I am on the saving end right now. When I started, I was probably spending more each month on vaping supplies than I was on smoking, but not by much. I started with an M401 unit (spent $70 on that and probably another $50 on cartridges). About a week later I ordered a 901 and some juice (spent $65 there). I used the first unit for two weeks, so that cost me about $40 more than I would have spent on smoking. First lesson learned. The second unit I used for two weeks which saved me about $15. over what I would have spent smoking during that time. I next ordered the 801 with the same results as the 901. Then I ordered the 510 and the VP2 on the same day. I used those units for a couple of months (and saved quite a bit over smoking) before getting the Spade and then a couple of weeks later, the VP/PT. At that time I ordered just over $100.00 worth of juice. But the juice lasted for several months, so although I spent a lot up front, you have to figure out how long it will last. After another month I had to try this new device called the eGo. Everyone was raving about it, so I got one. It was the device that was perfect for me. I was completely satisfied so I didn't buy anything else for 4 months - except for attys. I bought a Black Silver Bullet then because I'd heard so much good about it. Between my BSB and ego, I didn't feel the need for any other devices for the next 7 months. Then I realized that those really weren't enough backups and I ordered a Provape1. At that point I figured I was done. Until I heard about the new juice boxes available and ordered those. See what I mean? But I probably won't buy another unit for quite some time now. I know I've saved hundreds at this point, so even though I've spent quite a bit in the last two months (because I've also started stocking up on more attys lately), I'm still on the savings end of things. Once you find the perfect unit or units, all you really need to buy is attys and juice. If you start out with the right unit (unlike me), you can be saving within weeks. I never worried too much about what I was spending (although I did try to keep it at or below what I would have spent smoking) because I considered it an investment in my health. I still feel that way about it.

As far as backups go, it's a good idea to have at least 3 batteries on hand. If you only have two and one dies, then you don't have anything to vape while the one battery charges. That won't be the case if you have 3. Attys, I would recommend having at least 5 on hand at once. Juice...depends on how much you use. Figure out how much you'll use in a week, multiply that by four so you know how much you'll use in a month and then keep at least a months worth on hand. I kept 6 months worth on hand at first - more now. A backup charger is a really good idea. If your charger dies, then you have no way of vaping when a battery dies. I have a car charger, too. If the power goes out, I don't have to worry about not being able to charge a battery. And I have an adapter so I can plug in and vape in the car.

As far as all the, better, more powerful, variable voltage, cool, nifty, just gotta have them, new units...well, if you are like some people I know, you just won't be able to help yourself. :whistle: But you can still be saving money.

Great post Nana!!

I've been stocking up backups (on Nana's great advice!!) for a year now and I still am not even close to Jeffb, Nana, Brian, and Mark's stash... but I love trying!! lol. One of these days I'll be completely ready for the Zombie wars and sit back relaxed in my hideout for many years.

Hubby limited me to 20 bucks less per payday than I would have spent on analogs. When you're smoking 2 packs a day and craving 3 or 4, that really adds up to a lot of money burnt. The 20 bucks saved each payday during my first 8 months of vaping went towards a sweet little entry level laptop by Acer. True, it broke the first month, and is finally now in the repair shop, but even so, we were able to purchase one! That never would have happened had I of stayed with analogs.

My next "big" purchase will be an Ali'i or an eClipse. yeahhhhh

If it were analogs, it would be an extra carton in the freezer lol.

Most of us went through the same conversations when we started vaping. I've spent a lot of money on vaping, there is always a nice device or new liquid to try; but, like Jeff said, once you settle down and learn what you like the costs will even out. Even if I spent a little more on vaping compared to analogs, my life isn't in danger and I really enjoy vaping.

well, from what im thinking a pass through would make a third battery, mostly it would be the main and the others would be the spares...

right now im using cartos because to be honest after my experiance with the smoking everywhere junk i got to thinking that attys are frail and most costly, but that means that i have two brand new attys sitting here in a box in case of emergency or when i feel like giving them a try, or maybe try dripping when i feel braver lol...

so far my mental shopping list goes like this...

drip tip... (VT store is out of stock)

Cartos... (ditto to the above)

eGo passthrough...

and perhaps a back up charger for the eGo batteries...

and if i get a passthough i will want a car adapter...

so yeah, this mental list is getting costly and im still debating how long i can put it off

BTW has anyone invented an eGo cone that does not inhibit airflow?

BTW has anyone invented an eGo cone that does not inhibit airflow?

If you have a small (1/16 or so) drill bit, you can drill a small hole (or 2) towards the bottom of the cone and that will let more air through if you want a lighter draw.

We didn't start spending less, let alone saving money until about the 4th month....it takes time to get devices, figure out what works best, have plenty of back ups on everything AND to experiment with flavors to find stuff you like. In the year we estimate about 45% savings. BUT even if we saved NOTHING and it cost exactly the same we would vape. Had nothing to do with saving money.

I think you are doing really well on money! I know I spent way more than that, now I am just cartos, and juice about once a month. I did just order a back up pass thru from a friend, but so far I am probably just getting even at 6 months in.

I second what everyone has said here about start ups costs, hardware, back ups, finding what works, etc. So far I have an ego kit (which I adore) and an ego tank kit (which I also adore and couldn't resist because everyone was raving about them). So that means I have two chargers (because if one went bad, I would be screwed without a charger!), um, 4 batteries, I bought some cartos (can't quite get the dang Taryn spin down right but I'm working on it), 6 attys, and some juice. And I want more juice.

BUT...I think of people who have other hobbies. Like I have a friend who is into wine, and she and her husband buy it by the case, just to try new flavors, etc. Other friends are into pipes, and they can't resist a beautifully made pipe, or some amazing tobacco for that special occasion.

For me, vaping is also a relaxing and fun HOBBY through which I've met some kind, intelligent, and creative people here. Had some relaxing times sitting with my cup of coffee and my shiny new ego Tank - you see what I mean?

Smoking analogs wasn't even a hobby or a pleasure for me anymore. It was a terrible, stinking, make-me-sick addiction - it was money that I HAD to spend. Vaping money is fun to spend. And hey - you can't take it with you, right?

Great post Nana!!

I've been stocking up backups (on Nana's great advice!!) for a year now and I still am not even close to Jeffb, Nana, Brian, and Mark's stash... but I love trying!! lol. One of these days I'll be completely ready for the Zombie wars and sit back relaxed in my hideout for many years.

Hubby limited me to 20 bucks less per payday than I would have spent on analogs. When you're smoking 2 packs a day and craving 3 or 4, that really adds up to a lot of money burnt. The 20 bucks saved each payday during my first 8 months of vaping went towards a sweet little entry level laptop by Acer. True, it broke the first month, and is finally now in the repair shop, but even so, we were able to purchase one! That never would have happened had I of stayed with analogs.

My next "big" purchase will be an Ali'i or an eClipse. yeahhhhh

If it were analogs, it would be an extra carton in the freezer lol.

Thank you, Uma!

I don't know what the eClipse is...and I don't want to know...so go with the Ali'i. You need one. You really do. Seriously. It's important for you to have one. I mean it. Go back and look at the pictures. And now you can get it in purpleheart. Remember? How perfect would that be for you? Really. I'm serious. :yes

LOL Nana, you are too cute! I'm pretty sure I'll stick with my Ali'i obsession for life. But, gosh, that eclipse has automatic drip feed system with a touch of a button, vV and some other cool high end gadgetry sophistication that I'll probably never understand anyway. It's at digitalciggz http://www.digitalciggz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=324

The Eclipse is sorely tempting me ...

But the Ali'i has had me drooling for over 6 months and I'm a very dedicated drooler!

UMA!!!!! Did you not see that I said I didn't want to know what the eClipse was? I wrote that for a very good reason - cause I don't want to know. I don't. I really don't.

Excuse me, I have something to go look at....see ya later.... :whistle:

UMA!!!!! Did you not see that I said I didn't want to know what the eClipse was? I wrote that for a very good reason - cause I don't want to know. I don't. I really don't.

Excuse me, I have something to go look at....see ya later.... :whistle:

So, if you like your new juice feeders, the eClipse looks like an elite juice feeder. Let me know how you like it. he he.

Very funny, Brian, very funny. :hrhr:

LOL @ Uma!!

Okay, so I looked at the eclipse. But I'm still drooling over the Ali'i. :dribble:

What was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah! The cost of vaping vs analogs. I think a person could buy a new device just about every month - along with needed supplies of attys, batteries, and juice - and still come out ahead in the long run. And that's only if there are that many devices a person would want to try. I had to try a lot of them out to begin with, but then that wore off. I always wanted a juice feeder, so that's why I ordered those now, but I really don't see me getting anything else for a long time. If the juice feeders turned out to not work for me, I'd go back to my BSB and eGo (and Mark Mod) and be perfectly happy. I've got my backups, I love vaping, I'm healthier, I'm breathing better, I'm happier, I've met a lot of great people, and I'm way ahead money-wise. What more could a person ask for?

I think the other thing to think about here are the intangibles. When I would stop to buy smokes I would almost always get a soda or a coffee, and then maybe a bag of combos since I was there, and then hey, there's a lighter with Calvin peeing on the Ford logo; I NEED THAT :)

I guess what I'm saying is, even though I haven't quite recovered the cost of my initial investment, I haven't seen my bank account steadily decreasing as payday draws nearer. I dig it.

PS - I also just upped the ante by buying at least $200.00 of juices from different suppliers so I could try some new stuff, so my "break even" point is even further away. It's not as easy as smoking, but most things worth doing aren't that easy :)