Did You Drop Analog Cold Turkey Or Both Smoke And Vape?

genieangel

I got the ego for my husband. He is doing well on it but still smokes about 3-5 analogs a day. He was smoking a pack a day.

Is it OK to do both or harder to switch doing it that way?

How did most of you do it, cold turkey on the e-cigs or both for a while, then cutting down on the analogs?

Has anyone cut down to 0 nicotine vaping?

My husband had no problem just switching, but he only smoked 1/2 pack a day. I on the other hand took a few days to switch. I smoked 2-3ppd and especially in the morning, the vaping just DID NOT cut it. I would vape AND smoke at the same time. Like literally be smoking a cig and vape between drags....I just needed/wanted WAY more nicotine faster than an e cig can deliver it. I use 18 mg, and thought for morning I could switch to something higher, but like 24 KILLED my throat...didn't matter if it was pg or vg, it just really made my throat feel raw...even drinking tons of liquid. I figured EVEN IF I had continued smoking say even 1/2 pack a day, it was STILL getting rid of FORTY cigarettes a day. However, after a couple days I just FORCED myself to stop smoking. I just vaped in the morning like continuously for an hour. Then after a couple weeks I guess I just adjusted to it. Haven't smoked since. But I personally think it doesn't matter, whatever works best for the individual. Any time vaping and the cigs it eliminates is a great thing. So even 3-5 a day, that is nothing, no big deal at all. I bet he will give them up eventually. I did mostly because vaping tasted so much better. It just takes awhile for some people to adjust....and really, even if I had a real cig every morning for the rest of my life, cutting out the bulk of them is still a great thing. I don't smoke at all anymore though and I am REALLY happy about that. I smoked 30 yrs, and I NEVER EVER thought I would quit. I had used everything in the past, prescriptions, patches, lozenges, gum, cold turkey, you name it, and every time I knew I would smoke again. Now I know I will never smoke again...not so long as e cig are available. IF they banned them, I can't honestly say, I would hope I wouldn't smoke again, but I probably would.

I had to get used to it at first. When I got my Blu (POS that it was), I still had one in the morning and maybe one in the evening. When I got my eGo, I still had a few during the day and occasionally (like every 2 weeks) still do. I like the fact that I don't NEED cigarettes, they taste like crap, and can choose not to do it. The only two times I smoke are when something I dont have a backup for breaks, or my best friend of 10 years wants me to have one for old times sake (and he vapes with me for new times sake :D).

Think of it this way: every analog a person DOESN'T have due to vaping, is a job well-done.

Think of it this way: every analog a person DOESN'T have due to vaping, is a job well-done.

exactly how I feel. I was at a get together at an old high school friend's house in August and she smoked. A few of us were in a pool swimming and she was smoking and so was the other person and so I did smoke a cig or two. ONLY because I wasn't going to bring my batteries in the pool and risk ruining them. The first few drags of the cig tasted nasty, but I got used to it, just like the dozen times I quit and started again. But I do NOT consider that ONE time smoking one, possibly two cigs worth, "smoking". I didn't actually have my own cig....just kept taking drags of theirs. For all I know it was really only 1/2 a cig worth. But regardless I have avoided THOUSANDS of cigs so really, I don't feel bad. When we were out of the pool I vaped. I totally agree, ANY cig avoided, let alone thousands is a great thing!!

I got the ego for my husband. He is doing well on it but still smokes about 3-5 analogs a day. He was smoking a pack a day.

How did most of you do it, cold turkey on the e-cigs or both for a while, then cutting down on the analogs?

Oh and no, I haven't cut down to 0 nic nor am I really planning to. According to the little info out there by vaping you get far less nicotine than smoking, so I have likely already cut down on my intake. Some articles have gone so far as to say that vaping is the same as sucking on an unlit cigarette as far as nicotine.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/ashhole/2010/02/13/electronic-cigs-dont-deliver-study-says/

Cold turkey for me. 14 days today. (I was ready to quit smoking though.) Everyone is different. I agree with juliery and psychomaster, though. Any fewer analogs = healthier. I know several people who just use PVs when they are in public and can't smoke (bars, restaurants...) Really just depends on what he wants to get out of vaping.

I don't see myself going to 0 nic (<3 my 24mg, but who knows?) Lots of folks in the forum vape 0 nic. I am sure they will chime in. Best of luck to the both of you.^^

When I got my first kit, it only came with one battery. I vaped until the battery was dead and during the two hours it took to charge, I smoked a couple of cigarettes - and didn't like it. After one week I realized the pre-filled carts were going to be way too expensive and the guy who sold them locally wasn't keeping enough stocked, so I started researching online. Found out there was a whole new world out there with these things. I ordered a new kit - with two batteries - and the day it arrived, I charged up the batteries and never had another cigarette again. That was October 13, 2009. Yes!! I just loved vaping so much more than smoking that it was super easy for me. But it isn't that easy for everyone.

I did cut back to 0 nic within 3 months. I still had a bunch (and I do mean a BUNCH) of nic liquid and didn't want to waste it, so I would mix up a batch of juice with 3 to 6 mg of nic in it and use that sometimes. At times I'll use some 12 mg nic liquid, but never anything higher any more. I still use 0 nic most of the time. We do have people on the forum who only use 0 nic now.

genie, a lot of things will factor into whether your husband does both or goes to only vapeing, its not east to get used to at first, and there are times when it seems as if your not getting any vapor or flavor when in fact you are, which is why i tend to switch flavors when i feel like its not working for me, but personally one thing i do enjoy is that i can vape in the car without worry that ill stink by the time i get to work.

there is a definite time of trial and error on these things, with learning not to flood them, picking the right juices etc, its not quite as simple as buying a pack of your favorite analogs. do send him here to the forums if he has questions or problems, everyone here is great about answering right away and helping newbies...

been vaping on my eGo for two weeks now and havent bought a pack of smokes since it arrived

I've been at it for two weeks and I still haven't quit cold turkey. That's the plan, but I haven't gotten there yet. I was smoking a pack a day and using a can of smokeless per day two weeks ago. I've been having a cigarette in the morning before work and then not smoking for the rest of the day. I've had the same pack for two weeks. And I've nearly cut out the smokeless too. I'll get there, but it's different for everyone.

PS - The analogs really don't taste that good, not as good as vaping. I think it's just mental now.

For the first 4 days I vaped in the evenings after work (the learning curve) and smoked during the day. I got my ecig on a Tuesday and had my last analog that Saturday morning. However, one of the guys I converted took a few months to totally make the switch. Cutting back from a pack to just a few a day is a great success. :)

Almost cold turkey. I had 4 analogs left when my inferno arrived. I did smoke those over the first 3 days. It's likely that if I had more, I would've just kept smoking one a day or whatnot. Once they are gone, it's pretty easy to turn to the vape when you need your fix of nic.

I totally agree that every analog you don't smoke is a victory.

I think the person first of all has to want to quit. But getting the right unit has a lot to do with it too. With my first unit it wasn't satisfying enough, I still wanted a cig now and then. I know have an eGo and as my name implies I love it, only 1 cig since I got it and that's because I had a problem with my atomizer and needed a cig really bad while fixing it. lol Other than that no desire o have a regular cig at all.

haha, I had one in each hand too the first evening I got it. I'd take a drag off the cigarette and declare "where's the vapor???" Then I noticed the huge flavor differences. The next day began my down to only vaping except for the dreaded 5 or maybe 6 cigs that were difficult to ignore. First thing in the morning, noon break, 4 pm break, after dinner, and bedtime. Then soon it was down to ony 4 I couldn't ignore.

After realizing how many analogs I hadn't smoked, it became almost fun to set challenges for myself to overcome the lingering ones. My first challenge was the bedtime one. I really wanted to go to bed non-stinky, so that helped make it easier but it was the most challenging because it meant I'd have to go at least 8 hrs without my nic... So, I vaped some Apple, and dove in bed, and voila! I woke up happy!!! and with Apple flavor dancing on my tastebuds instead of tar. I wanted more of that!! So, that set the stage, and I ended up omitting 2 more from my life.

By the end of the first week, I was down to Zero cigs. (except for the occasiona 3 puffs in between atty problems and believe me, 3 puffs were all I could handle they tasted so awful).

Everybody's different, but the key elements to overcoming those pesky lingering analogs are: The flavor, the vapor, the TH, the psyche. Once a body is ready to challenge itself with spirit, mind and body, it will be almost fun. Until that time, the body will be thinking it "needs" it's fix via a cig. It's been trained for all those years and it has a war on it's hands.

In short: Celebrate and count the ones he didn't smoke. Try many many flavors and mixes and strengths and vendors til he finds *the* wow ones for him. Maybe consider an LR atty to simulate 5v vaping or get a 5v for those times he needs ooomph.

Best of luck and in the words of DDaveLarson: "Don't *try* to quit smoking! Just relax and enjoy vaping. You'll be pleasantly surprised one day to discover that you hadn't had an analog in days". He was so right!! That worked for me. (I had to paraphraze, it's been a year and my memory is ... hmmm, what's that word?...

I had a 1/2 pack left when my kit arrived and used them for a few days. I personally found it a lot harder doing it that way. Once they were gone no problem at all. Well nothing my tobacco junkie butt couldn't handle. I still get the occasional craving butt I just amp up my nic level and it subsides quickly.

Like every one says, there is a learning curve. Keep encouraging him, that's the best help.

Try sending him here to VT also. He might find it helpful and take more of an intrest.

Good luck!

Cold turkey for me. 14 days today. (I was ready to quit smoking though.) Everyone is different. I agree with juliery and psychomaster, though. Any fewer analogs = healthier. I know several people who just use PVs when they are in public and can't smoke (bars, restaurants...) Really just depends on what he wants to get out of vaping.

I don't see myself going to 0 nic (<3 my 24mg, but who knows?) Lots of folks in the forum vape 0 nic. I am sure they will chime in. Best of luck to the both of you.^^

I know people online who only use vaping for public too, to be able to use vaping where they can't smoke, which that was never my intention....I wasn't trying to find a way to get around smoking laws. If I couldn't vape where I can't smoke I would be fine with that too. I don't have any plans of going down to 0 nic either. I am using 18 mg. Down the road I might reduce it for some reason or other, but that isn't any current goal or anything. I agree with Nina/Beans, just depends on why the person is vaping, and what their own personal goals are.

I smoked for 30 yrs and started with the e-cig. for about 5 days I smoked analogs but only about 5 per day. then 5 days later I said no more rolling cigarettes and I have been smoke free for nearly a month. Your husband will stop one day soon, and just continue with the e-cig.. I started with the 12mg of Tobacco flavor and could not taste it so I am now using 24 mg. now I cant stand the flavor of the tobacco. I like the menthol flavor. It is ok to do both, but he will slack down on the amount each day that he smokes of reg analogs.

I know people online who only use vaping for public too, to be able to use vaping where they can't smoke, which that was never my intention....I wasn't trying to find a way to get around smoking laws. If I couldn't vape where I can't smoke I would be fine with that too. I don't have any plans of going down to 0 nic either. I am using 18 mg. Down the road I might reduce it for some reason or other, but that isn't any current goal or anything. I agree with Nina/Beans, just depends on why the person is vaping, and what their own personal goals are.

I was in a restaurant this afternoon, and felt uncomfortable vaping, even thought I knew I could cause it is not smoke that is blowing from the e-cig. I just did not want to raise a big scene. I will vape in public just not in a store, unless it is in the bathroom stall.

I did not want to quit, and did not mean for it to happen. It just did, and I feel a lot better now. smoked for 30 yrs non stop. 2 to 3 pks a day smoker. smoked so much we had to roll our own, cause it got to expensive. my nerves are shot today....that is why I smoked.

I was in a restaurant this afternoon, and felt uncomfortable vaping, even thought I knew I could cause it is not smoke that is blowing from the e-cig. I just did not want to raise a big scene. I will vape in public just not in a store, unless it is in the bathroom stall.

I vape in stores and restaurants all the time...THAT being said I do not make any kind of production about it. I don't blow clouds of vapor....I usually direct it at the floor OR I just swallow it, since there is no real reason to exhale it like there is with smoke. We haven't had any issue at all. If anyone has said anything it has always been an expression of interest or a smoker asking us if it is one of those "electric cigarette things like at the mall". You wouldn't believe how many smokers have ONLY seen the ones at the malls, that of course are a rip off, totally overpriced, or only seen them on tv and then they are THRILLED to learn they can buy them online for MUCH cheaper and better quality. When I am in a store or restaurant I see no reason to antagonize die hard non smokers or cause any problem. So far in almost a year no one has ever told us we couldn't vape or anything even vaguely like that.

I vape in stores and restaurants all the time...THAT being said I do not make any kind of production about it. I don't blow clouds of vapor....I usually direct it at the floor OR I just swallow it, since there is no real reason to exhale it like there is with smoke. We haven't had any issue at all. If anyone has said anything it has always been an expression of interest or a smoker asking us if it is one of those "electric cigarette things like at the mall". You wouldn't believe how many smokers have ONLY seen the ones at the malls, that of course are a rip off, totally overpriced, or only seen them on tv and then they are THRILLED to learn they can buy them online for MUCH cheaper and better quality. When I am in a store or restaurant I see no reason to antagonize die hard non smokers or cause any problem. So far in almost a year no one has ever told us we couldn't vape or anything even vaguely like that.

ok. I will have to try it. I was vaping in my car waiting for a store to open up yesterday morning. some lady smoking a analog, got out of her car and came over to mine and asked me if that was one of those electronic cigarettes and I said yes, it is! she asked if I quit and I said, I did 3 weeks ago and this e-cig really works good. just need a lot of extra long life batterys and you will be fine. I gave her the web site and told her which one to get. she said she tried the ones from the stores that are throw a ways, but did not think they worked good.

I guess I was kind of the odd duck. I started vaping because I can't smoke at work. Hey, I was a smoker before I was a teacher. The brand I got sucked and I quit vaping for about a year. Over the summer My wife and I took a long trip out of town and I knew I couldn't last the 8 hours driving without smoking. So I bought another brand of e-cigs to use in the car. I still smoked for about 5 months only using the e cig when I couldn't smoke. Not knowing the wonderful plethora of all the different kinds of vaping juices and tools, I again, quit using my e cig. Ordering from the company wasn't the best and it was getting expensive to do both. Habit won out for me. On New Years I made it my resolution to quit. On January 2nd I just thought of something my dad said to me a long time ago. "The only way to quit is to never light another one." I put out my last cig and started the patch. The e cig was my backup.

Then I learned about the new flavors and juices and filling up my own. I quit the patch and now only vape. The funny thing is, my quiting smoking wasn't really all that hard this time. I just never lit another one, nor do I intend to. I've come to love vaping now. I don't care if I am still addicted to nicotine, I'm healthier and feel better. My family is happier with me and, hopefully after I get over my gotta get new toys and juice fetish, it will be financially better.

My point is, just like everyone else, when he is ready the transition is so much easier. I would still smoke (even becoming a closet smoker) if it wasn't for the awesomeness of vaping. I spend too much time reading and playing with my new toys to think about smoking. I'm actually promoting it with some of the other teachers I work with.

Good luck and you have a great deal of support here. We all know the Wonderful evils of smoking and can sympathize. The difference is, unlike AA or zealot quitters, we enjoy what we do and hats off to those who quit analogs completely, but if you don't, at least you quit SOME of them. Find a good supplier and juice you like, sit back, and enjoy life. You'll find what works best for your husband and you.

Great to know Juliery, a great idea. My husband just sort of lets it exhale through his nose and it's barely visible.

Genie, I got my first eGo kit two weeks ago tonight, and it came with some prefilled stuff that hurt my throat and tasted terrible. Then 1 week ago tonight, the yummy juices I had ordered arrived just as I was leaving for work. I played around with it at work while continuing to smoke, and then I ran out of regular cigarettes. I have never bought another pack or smoked another regular cigarette since.

I WAS ready. I really wanted to quit since my husband had successfully quit on Chantix and I knew that me still smoking was unfair to him. But truly, I don't even want another cigarette. I love the taste of vaping. I love not stinking. I love not having to go outside when it's cold. I love the toys.

I never felt that way about smoking.