Prado E-Cig Scam

WonKa

So one of the first things to happen after I stated my interest in E-Cigs was that my girlfriends father forwarded an e-mail to me that he had been receiving from this company for some time.

It offered a "Prado E-Cig" for NO COST! ONLY PAY FOR SHIPPING! They even give you a $5 discount code for their $12.95 shipping. It definitely looked tempting but I went with the whole "Too good to be true..." maxim and followed my gut to VT and loaded up on eGo stuff after an amazing welcome in the n00b forum.

So I was still interested in the Prado offer and thought, hell it's only $13? Let's give it a spin. which is when I came upon this:

Offer Terms: By clicking confirm my order, you agree to be enrolled in the 14 day trial offer and pay $12.95 shipping. After the trial expires you agree that your card will be charged $149.90 for the starter kit and months supply of cartridges. Your refill cartridges will recur at $59.95 for 20 cartridges plus $12.95 for shipping and handling every month from the day you signed up for the trial until you cancel. A restocking fee may apply on returns. Please call 1.877.647.3735 for customer service. This charge will appear as electriccig-8776473735 on your statement.

Any thoughts? Is this a common thing?

If anyone wants to check this crap out on their own it's here: http://www.easysafetrial.com/offer/newyears/

And this right here is why I have passed up so many "offers" in the past. Anytime I am offered something online for such a deal, I know there HAS to be SOME kind of catch. It's just my cautious nature, but I very rarely trust people anymore. Seems like a complete and total rip-off to me, but that's just my opinion.

The same thing happened to me. I was actually at the "enter your credit card data" portion of filling out the form when I noticed the tiny little note saying pretty much the same thing. Three of the girls at work got burned on it. Thankfully it turned out great for me because that scam is what got me into researching e-cigs and landed me here. Like you said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Thats the scam ,once they get your charge card number you pretty much have given them permission to load up your card.And for some reason those kind of people are hard to get a hold to cancel the membership.

Interesting PS to all this. I just got this e-mail in my junk folder:

Dear Michael,

My name is Jeff and I am one of the managers at Prado Electronic Cigarette. I wanted to give you a FREE months supply of cartridges as our way of saying thanks for visiting our website and also give you 75% of a brand new Prado Electronic Cigarette starter kit. Also, if you take advantage of this one time offer I will also send you a FREE CARRYING CASE!!!. What's the catch? There isn't one. I have excess inventory and I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to serve you. You will never be billed again, there is NO recurring billing or any further costs. Just visit this website to place your order and congratulations, this is the best e-cig deal with the best FREE gifts that you'll ever be offered! Please just click through the article to get to the one time special offer.

PSSS: if you click on the red coupon button on the checkout page I will also take off an additional $5!

Best Regards,

Jeff

Prado Electronic Cigarette

1.877.647.3735 message Headline

Many months ago, I posted about this Prado thing and how my sister and niece ordered it and then had a terrible time trying to cancel and stop them from taking money from their account. My opinion is to steer clear of anything that says "free", cuz 99% of the time, it isn't. Also, my niece said this ecig wasn't at all satisfying. I say buy from recommendation of people here as I did. They won't steer you wrong.

Happy Vaping

I posted here today regarding a commercial I saw that was advertising a similar scam. https://www.smokeassist.com/ and if you google this one or Prado, you'll read about the complaints they created.

Edited by LoriHNC

There are several companies that have that exact same offer. On the radio there are several ads for similar products. I don't think it is so much a scam as a rip off. Much in the same way the mall kiosks charge double for the merchandise you can get online for half the price. I think it is more a case of buyer beware and educating oneself. I wouldn't say it is a scam because they aren't LYING about anything. They ARE letting you try it for free, then you have to pay if you keep it......there are tons of products other than e cigs that have that same offer......you CAN try it for free, and if you keep it, you pay.....A LOT usually. A scam would be if they said they would send it to you, charged you and never sent it. I think this is more a situation of an educated consumer vs and uneducated one. Or preying on ppl looking for hope and making impulsive decisions without researching. Any adult who thinks they will get ANYTHING for free is foolish. But if it was a scam they wouldn't have the pop up notification....but then that would be illegal to just start charging you for stuff that you didn't agree to. It reminds me of the ads on Facebook.....where it says your friends scored X amount on an IQ test, see if you are smarter, but to get your answer you have to enter your cell phone number, by doing so you will be charged $10 a month for a daily horoscope service. It is like crap like that.....again, you have to always read the fine print, NOTHING is free.

• 1 year later...

Interesting, the Prado giveaway never stops!

I just got a text on my phone from 573-529-4593 that says,

Hey Valerie, not sure if you or anyone you know still smokes. But www.ecigsblahblahblahfreedotcom is giving away free e-cig trials. Mike.

So who the hell is this? I googled the phone number coming from MO and they are affiliated with Prado!! What crap that they got my mobile number from someone I buy ecig stuff from. I would like to know who sold their list of customer contacts.

Let me know your thoughts as to how else they could have gotten my mobile number AND that I buy ecig supplies.

I think it is quite common with the big ecig companies to have "free trials" for their ecigs. Basically it is to get you to pay just for shipping as it is understandable because giving free shipping to everyone could put any company in a hole they can't get out of. Unless they just happen to be a very big company which I don't think there really is any in the ecig world just yet. Anyways they do this to get as many people hooked into the ecig kits they have so then they will pay an outrageous price for the kit and keep paying outrageous prices for cartridge refills. I think it is alot better to just get cartridges and other things yourself as well as eliquid to do yourself. It is much cheaper this way.