Got My Father An Ego For Christmas.

CASEACE79

Well my father and I were talking about my success with my ecig around thanksgiving and he said one of his co-workers quit with one and he needed to look into trying it. I thought that getting him the eGo was a great gift but I know the old man too well so I need your help. He loves smoking and I know he will be close minded when it comes to trying anything that isn't tobacco flavored. I personally like non tobacco flavors but did buy him my favorite tobacco flavor (Boba's Bounty). What other advice should I give him for the best chance of success? He really needs to quit as his health is much worse than most smokers his age. He had his first major heart attack at 31 and he's 55 now.

That's a great gift and if you can get him to stick with it he will thank you for it in no time.

If he's anything like I was at first then all the "work" of filling carts or cartos will seem like a pain in the butt for him. After all..it's so much easier to just pull out a cig and a lighter and start smoking.

So my first suggestion to you would be to either offer to fill up his cartos for him or just have several ready to go right off the bat.

Also see about getting his some sort of small pouch or case for his eGo and juice/carts. I don't think about it much anymore, but at first having all that stuff in my pockets just seemed like such a waste.

But I guess the most important thing to do is remind him how much better he'll feel and how much you're doing this to keep him around longer.

After he gets into the use of it and finds the enjoyment and health benefits like the rest of us he will be on his way and thank you for your concern.

Just remember we are all here to help. Have him join in and ask questions and maybe together we can all get him vaping and having an analog free life.

Good luck and happy vaping.thumbsup.gif

p.s. also try a few different types of juice...he might like something different, never know.

Edited by snubber

:clap: What a great gift you got for him!! A variety of juices would probably be a big bonus for him - even if most of them are tobacco flavors. A lot of the fun of vaping is trying different flavors.

My advice would be to tell him to take long, slow drags...to fill his mouth with vapor before inhaling. Also, tell him not to give up if he feels like it isn't working. The best thing to do is to give it a chance. Even if he still smokes for awhile, every cigarette he doesn't have is a good thing. If every time he wants a cigarette he'll vape first, he might cut down on a lot of the cigarettes. If after vaping for awhile he still wants a cigarette, he can have one. That alone might help him not be anxious about it. If he just relaxes and gives the eGo a try, he'll soon be vaping more than he is smoking without working too hard at it and would probably completely replace the cigarettes with the eGo. He doesn't have to push himself at all. And he might even find (like I did) that he loves vaping more than smoking and he'll make the switch quickly. But he needs to know that he doesn't have to.

I smoked for 34 years and didn't have any problems whatsoever switching over...some people have taken longer. But from what I've seen, most people do eventually make the switch. There are quite a few of us here that have smoked for more than 20 years, so he would be in good company if he'd join the forum. We'll give him all the encouragement he could ever ask for. Let him know that we all wish him the best of luck and would love to have him here.

Well I am going up to see him 2 days after Christmas so I'm going to bring all my juices with me for him to try ( which has reached 30+ in the month and a half I've been vaping. What can I say I'm a junkie.) I'm sure it will have some appeal to him since he doesn't smoke in his office which happens to be in Buffalo,NY. It is winter after all.

What a wonderful gift to give!!

I like to have prefilled carto's on hand for those lazy days, plus the matching eliquid in the bottle. My favorite is (thanks to Jeffb?, Mark?, Brian?..) is Honey Flu Cured Tobacco in 18mg by LiquidXpress.com

Good in both prefilled cartos and the bottle. (can't say that about all prefilled ones lol)

What a wonderful Gift !!! At least he will have you to help him get started. Hopefully he will decide he likes it better than smoking. With your support (and flavor selection) it should be a great way for him to start the new year.

He must be a good Dad if you plan on helping him stick around for a few more years

Happy Holidayswine.gif

well when he opened it he was a little taken back. His first comment was I'm not ready for this. I told him to just give it a fair shot. Don't try to switch right away and use it when ya don't feel like going out in the cold (he lives in Buffalo) he liked the idea of that and not having to leave his office and go all the way downstairs and outside. I left it at that and didn't really push the issue after that. I know the old man too well and he's like a mule. The more you push the more stubborn he gets. Yesterday he asked me how it worked and I showed him. Huge progress. That afternoon we went out to Niagara Falls and he brought it with. He didn't use it the whole time he was out but I did catch him taking a puff or two here and there. I think if lI keep asking him if he was using it like once a week after I leave it'll keep it fresh on his mind and I'm kinda hoping the weather gets really cold and he sees how much easier it is to use than going all the way outside. Here's to hoping. At least now he knows there is another option.

A puff or two here and there leads to three or four and then five and six. And then more. And more. Every puff on it instead of an analog is a good thing and a step in the right direction. Baby steps. Good luck and keep us updated.

He may just be a bit self conscious about using it around people at first.

Just bring up bits of news or tid bits of info about your experience and see if he bites. Maybe discuss flavors......

Good for you on getting your father started !!!

I don't think it's that. He just has a really hard time giving up old habits. He really loves smoking but knows it's going to kill him. That's why I think this is the only road for him. He's making real progress though. He asked me where to buy the cartomizers and drip tips and liquid I bought him and he actually ordered extras. He really is going to try it.

He himself said that one of his co-workers quit with the ecig, so wait till he tells to his co-worker what he got for Christmas. Sometimes reinforcement from someone outside the family circle is just what a stubborn sole needs to be able to think it was his idea, instead of a family member pushing him. I do understand, as my dad was also king of stubborn, and leary of anything new. It took us years to get hin to like the remote control for the TV, because for his generation, if he had to figure out anything that had more that like three buttons on it, he didn't want to hear about it.

Good luck