Diy Tips And Tricks

Ofortuna

I know the DIY recipe thread is thriving but it has kind of gone off the track of actually recipes and more towards tips or flavorings so I thought it may be a good idea to separate them. While having a tip to go with a specific recipe is a must (ie add flavor X before adding flavor Y), general tips we have learned along the way may be helpful to keep separate. Whether the tip be about mixing, flavoring/liquid %s or certain supplies you use (and why) may be useful on its own :)

I will start with something I learned today!!

When dealing with flavorings, check around to see what the recommended % you should use is!! Flavoring vendors may have this information on their site or you may have to go looking but not all flavors work at the recommended 10-20% range!!

Example: TPA Spearmint at 15% will make you want to stop vaping instantly!! (no lie) The recommended % is 5% as noted on the website!! And it worked the best at 3%!! Always research or ask if you are not familiar with a flavoring!!

Anyone think this would be useful??

Edited for horrible spelling!!

Edited by Ofortuna

When using pipettes, after you squeeze out the content, allow the remnants to settle to and give it another squeeze, repeat if necessary. I've found that especially with thicker ingredients (VG), you'll get about 1/4 ml left over.

Excellent Idea to separate the two. I was thinking of trying to transfer the recipes we have and restarting the recipe thread. This way we can post the recipes on one thread and be able to chat about whats working or not working on this one.

Tip: always mix in small amounts initially until you know what works. adding a few drops of flavor at a time and testing before adding more flavor. Like Ofortuna posted--not all flavors are created equal. some flavors can be very over powering.

May I jump in on this?

I mostly use the "Todd" juice calculator, and it works quite well for most of what I'm doing. But I would like to point out that not all drops are created equal.

I believe it says that 20 drops = 1ml. But that really depends on the size and type of dropper you are using.

I have some standard size droppers that I mostly use, but the droppers that you can get with the Lorann's flavors is a lot smaller. And I've even noticed that the pipettes are different sizes. So what may be 20 drops for one size may take 30 or more for the others.

If at all possible, it's best to use a needle and syringe. Just my thoughts.

I think the size of the drop also depends on the weight or thickness of the material too. I imagine that 20 drops per mil might be a standard for water. I like to use a blunt tip syringe for anything over .5 mil measurements and leave the drops to small stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

using a standard dropper bottle (the type used by most suppliers). I have found that VG = about 20 drops/ml and PG = 30 drops/ml. Using a syringe gives you the best accuracy overall.

I was taught that the size of the drop was dependent upon the size of the orifice from which it flowed, so I always make my juices by the drop, putting the ingredients into identical dropper bottles. (My aim in doing this is to create some sort of standard.)

I think that when learning, it is good to make all juice by the drop and in 1-2ml batches.

It is interesting what you say about vg and pg being different drops/ml. I had the same theory, so I researched it and talked to some chemists, but they said that drop size is independent of viscosity. I should count for myself. (Silly me.)

I think the size of the drop has to do with the weight / viscosity of the liquid. Get some blunt syringes or pipettes for the most accurate measures. Myself I use a bit of both....little this pinch of that.... DIY brings out the mad scientist in us all! :thumbsup: