Vaping And Cataracts

So and interesting post was created over on ECF. Rather than summarize, here's the post.

markarich159

I saw on another forum that "blurry vision" was one reported adverse reaction to vaping. my response was this:

Blurry Vision!?!?!?!? Are you kidding me!!!!

I already have a cataract surgery evaluation appointment scheduled for 12:20pm TOMORROW at the Lehigh Valley Center for Sight.

6 months ago, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with an aggressive posterior subcapsular cataract in my right eye and one appears to also be slowly developing in my left.(I've been vaping now for a bit over a year).

I'm now almost legally blind in my right eye and will require surgery for lens replacement and I'm only in my mid 30's.

My opthamologist is totally stunned as I have no familial history of this disorder, nor do I take any drugs(this type of cataract has been linked to long term corticosteroid-i.e. prednisone use)or have any predisposing factors for development of this type of cataract.

I never put 2 and 2 together until your post. I will be sure to mention this to Dr. Moran at my appointment tomorrow. If it's found that vaping has anything to do with this(and there are others who obviously have complained of the same type of symptoms) I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I'm not going to jump the gun, but this type of cataract(especially as aggresive as it has manifested) just doesn't happen out of the blue.

PLEASE, if anyone else has developed this specific type of cataract, or any type for that matter, since the start of vaping; please add to this thread.

Interesting thread. Has anyone else had vision issues since they started vaping? Let's see if this is a large or isolated issue.

Hmmm. I may need to get my eyes checked. I've had some occasional blurring, but it happens really fast. I have definately had a change in my lens perscriptions. I've had the same perscription most of my life, but it has suddenly changed over the last several months. I use to wear my glasses all the time for everything. Now, I have to remove my glasses to read things close up. I only noticed this about a month ago when I was trying to read something with small print and at first I thougth I needed longer arms, but when I took my glasses off I could see it crystal clear up close. I attribute it to getting old though, but should probably get checked out.

Personally, it sounds strange to me that vaping could cause a difference in vision. But... I've done "close up" electronics work all my adult life and I have noticed recently (past few months) that I can't read or view things clearly "close up" anymore. Not too long ago my close up vision was perfect. Now I have a hard time focusing on fine print, resistor color codes, etc. I figured my eyes were just getting worse because I'm now 47 years old. This kinda makes me wonder! :wacko: I sure as heck don't want to go back to smoking again! I don't even like being too close to someone smoking!

I went to the optometrist a couple of weeks ago for a check up. I stated that my vision up close seems to not be as good as it once was. After the check up he was looking at my chart and said "I found the problem" . He then shows me the chart and points at my birthdate. Ha ha, just what I need a comedian for an optometrist. :D

It's strange how this subject came up, and I was thinking about it recently. I'm at the point in my life where vision tends to deteriorate some, on it's own. My up close vision has been bad for about 5 years. I wear only one contact lens in my up close eye, as the optometrist said my other eye is perfect. It saves me money too. My prescription has been the same for the last 3 years, and in the last month or so, I'm noticing my near vision is blurred. My prescription isn't working like it did. If I put my glasses on with my contact, it's good. I'm also noticing this blurriness while driving and thats not good.

I was attributing this to normal age deterioration, and I'd hate to think vaping has something to do with it. I guess we do need to find out though. Vision is important.

Found this info.....which I thought was very interesting.

Mechanisms of Smoke Action

The mechanisms by which smoking may damage the lens are becoming increasingly clear. Damage appears not to be related to the nicotine in tobacco, but more generally and commonly, to any form of smoke and partially pyrolyzed organic material from tobacco, coal, wood, cooking fuel, or automobile fuel. Our earlier studies14 suggest the major damaging mechanism to be oxidative stress brought about by reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated by smoke constituents both in the dark and in light. Damage is more likely to occur through systemic absorption of smoke constituents that reach the lens and generate ROS endogenously through photodynamic action. This effect would depend on the amount of such photoactive material in the lens and is therefore thought to be dose-dependent (heaviness and period of smoke inhalation). In prior smokers who have overcome the habit, such deposition of photodynamic material would have ceased, rendering this mode of oxidative stress inoperative. This would explain why quitting smoking reduces this risk factor.46 47

That oxidative stress by smoke is generated in dark conditions, as suggested by reports15 16 48 49 on the accumulation of metals such as Cd and Fe and the reduction in levels of vitamin C in the lens and blood of smokers (and smoke-exposed rats). Oxidative stress occurs through a metal-catalyzed Fenton reaction that produces ROS and by modulating the role of metallothioneins. Partial relief of the condition by the administration of the antioxidant vitamin E and the iron-chelator deferoxamine48 49 adds support to the idea that oxidative stress is imposed by smoke. The recent French Age-Related Eye Diseases (POLA) study31 implicates the role of antioxidant enzymes in the etiology of PSC in lifelong heavy smokers.

I had lasix done over 10 years ago. My vision really wasn't that bad when I had it done, I could still drive if needed, I just couldn't read the street signs. I chose to have lasix because I played sports. This past January I had to get glasses. The doctor told me I was legally blind and shouldn't even be driving. It was so bad he gave me a pair of contacts to wear until my glasses came in. Fast forward to today, my eyes are getting worse, my vision is blurring again. I don't have problems with reading or anything up close.

The thought of vaping and vision has crossed my mind because it started to get worse after I started vaping. I just don't get how something with thousands less of chemicals and toxins could be causing the problem. I am going with coincidence. But still I wonder...

Well the gist of it is that the nicotine is NOT causing the cataracts, but the irratation from smoke itself whether from cigarettes or another source increases your risk of cataracts. Something about the way smoke oxidized your eyeball. Like paint on a car.

Does that make it any clearer or are we like mud still??? :icecream:

Edited by owutaqt

I have heard that LASIK surgery can make vision worse years later and that it is not unusual to have to have it done twice. I don't know if vaping causes eye problems, and I will continue to research this but it just seems like a really wild side effect. :iiam:

Mine get crazy blurry at times too, but I'm blaming mine on the backlights of my pc and especially cell phone. Both of which are on the lowest brightness settings, and still too bright. The days I refrain from either one, are good days, without any blurr at all. The eCig has me constantly researching one thing or another from new supplies to new toys, and when I'm not on the pc I'm walking all over the land like a treasure hunter with a metal detector searching for 3g service and then surfing from there.

Our eyes are used to the lightbulb overhead or behind us, not directed straight at us. It's like looking into the sun all day long.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

It's not my ego it's not my ego it'snotmyego itsnotmyego

Haha .. I second that motion!

I third that motion! I'm only 20 and I've noticed my eyes blur and fog up a lot more now, but still, I am an avid gamer and computer user, so I refuse to blame my eGo...and even if it was, I would rather lose my eyes than my lungs :D although sounding like Darth Vader would be cool.

And I can breath better, and I was a light smoker! Can only imagine how it feels for people who smoked longer.

Edited by PsychoMaster

You know the more I think about this .. the more I hope that if there really is a relation between cataracts and vaping boy oh boy do I hope it comes down to a particular ingredient used in our liquid - one that we can do without.

Meh, I think it's good practice to question every ingredient in our liquids. Even the ingredient/s used to process/make/distill those ingredients.

Interesting. Obviously I spend a lot of time in front of a computer but I was just telling my wife the other day that my vision was becoming blurry. It feels a bit like when you've been in the pool for a few hours. You're not blind but your eyes are a little irritated. It doesn't matter what time of day either. It could be the fact that I stare at a monitor for hours on end but at the same time it could be from vaping. I really hope that's not the case.

I do spend quite a bit extra on my monitors to ensure I have the best viewing possible. It would be quite a bummer if this turned out to be a side effect of vaping. I think it might be a good idea to always vape by a window and maybe even purchase some eye drops? Sounds like keep our eyes as well as our throats moist could be important. After all, PG drys out your throat, why not your eyes?

(Heh, we'd all have to feel each other out at the vape meets)

EDIT: ha ha on second thought if we're all going blind perhaps e Liquid bottles and eye dropper bottles wouldn't be such good idea.

I have been vaping for quite some time (see banner below) and I have had no changes in my prescription from 2 years ago. I have been wearing glasses since before I could walk (birth defect). and at my age 59 the changes to my vision occured in my mid 40s. I do have a different set of glasses that I wear just for the monitor, I got them cuz I stare at the screen for 8+ hours a day and the glare in hazardous to my retina.

Anyway my point being is if you are pushing 45 your vision will change whether or not you ever had a vision problem, secondly if you stare at a screen all day you should be wearing "computer" lenses. As far as cataracts no answer for that. I do take meds for the creeping up of glaucoma. Otherwise I feel pretty gosh dang good for my age.

:thumbsup: