Here He Goes Again...

Mark

Looks like the study was on SNUS but that didn't stop them from putting e-cig in the title along with SNUS. Why not add all NRTs, nicorette, etc? Hmmmm. Basically, if I follow the convoluted logic, while these may save smokers who use them, it might prevent some smokers from quitting altogether and suffer a death as a result of these alternatives. And I quote:

First, some smokers who would otherwise be persuaded to quit - give up all nicotine use - by smoking bans and/or high taxes will instead switch to the substitute, thereby remaining at a much higher risk than if they had ended their use of nicotine entirely.

Proof there is a higher risk I believe is stated here:

For example, one major study showed an association between the use of chewing tobacco (which administers nicotine) and acute myocardial infarction that was 75% of the risk of smoking cigarettes. The Food and Drug Administration [FDA] has just warned that e-cigarettes pose "acute health risks," and that the "danger posed by the unrestricted distribution of [these] unregulated products containing toxic chemicals cannot seriously be questioned."

Whatever...

They have a wall if you would like to state your objections/concerns.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Action-on-Smoking-and-Health/36849242420#!/pages/Action-on-Smoking-and-Health/36849242420?v=wall

Also:

http://www.prlog.org/10311485-action-on-smoking-and-health-suggests-that-former-smokers-not-be-eligible-for-heart-transplants.html

Edited by FTJoe

So, I'm a nurse in a Cardiac Catheterization Lab at a large university hospital. I work with two of the best board certified interventional cardioligists, in my opinion. One of which has been at this institution for 41yrs. The increase risk of coronary artery disease and peripheral vascular disease comes from all of the other crap contained in cigarettes not the nicotine itself, in their opinion. This leads to the build of plaque in the arteries, causing blockages/lesions. I see it everyday, heavy smokers with bad arterial disease, coronary and peripheral(lower extremities predominantly).

One of the physicians does recommend getting rid of the nicotine as it is a more potent vasoconstrictor than say caffeine. So if you have an existing blockage in a coronary artery, the vasoconstriction caused by nicotine could lead to an acute event, then again so could exercise/work/stress/etc.

That being said, do I really want a nicotine patch delivering a constant dose of nicotine 24hrs/day?

Anyway they need to quit attaching e-cigs to tobacco. e-cigs seem to be more synonomous with nicotine gum and the inhaler.

Sorry I usually don't read those articles, they just tick me off.

We're always going to face willful ignorance. Moneyed interests support these falsehoods and there really is nothing to be done about it other than getting our more moderate position out there as best we can. Keep in mind too that there will always be unquestioning people who accept these articles at face value. That's just the way people are. We have to let them live too, regardless how painful that may be. The jerks. :D

Edited by ddavelarsen

I can't stand how in these kind of articles they view society as a collective whole when they say things like,"public health strategy." What public health strategy? Society is made up of individuals who have their own personal health strategies. Here is another example of this collectivist thinking,"The study shows that, even if switching to an alternative source of nicotine reduces the individual user's risk of death, more people overall may die and public health may suffer because of two types of population effects." We don't live in a bee hive! The writer of this article is obviously a Fascist.:thumbsdown:

This guy really pisses me off! In the first place he's a mathematician not a medical professional. Second he doesn't have his facts straight. And he also doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. It's people like this with degrees that think they know it all and the people that believe them that really make it hard for others to get their truths out.

When I read stuff like this it really burns me up and I get this bad urge to...well it's not legal so forget it.

How do you stop ignorance like this from poisoning people? :censored::wallbash:

The other thing that ticks me off is the talk about how my (or your) habits cost the country so many millions of dollars in heath costs. Im still paying the bloodsuckers that charge 4.00 for a friggin asprin at the hospital. The gov. pays absolutley NONE of my medical bills. The crappy insurance pays little or nothing and I pay the rest. The world would be a much better place if people whould just mind their own GD business!

The other thing that ticks me off is the talk about how my (or your) habits cost the country so many millions of dollars in heath costs. Im still paying the bloodsuckers that charge 4.00 for a friggin asprin at the hospital. The gov. pays absolutley NONE of my medical bills. The crappy insurance pays little or nothing and I pay the rest. The world would be a much better place if people whould just mind their own GD business!

100% agree with this. Government wasn't built to run our lives. They certainly try to now and it ticks me off.